Author Topic: Caitlyn vs. Bruce  (Read 832 times)

rangerrebew

Caitlyn vs. Bruce
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:13 am »
This is a question I am asking in all sincerity since this is an untested legal area.  Please give honest replies.  Can Caitlyn Jenner be sent to prison for something Bruce Jenner did, i.e., kill someone in a car accident.  It would seem if the answer is yes, sex change changes nothing anywhere.  If no, its a great way to get out of going to prison, getting rid of debt, etc.

Thanks.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Caitlyn vs. Bruce
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:17:48 am »
Short answer - Yes. Caitlin has a new legal identity, but the old one still applies for any crimes/debts/etc run up by Bruce.

It's exactly the same as someone using a stolen identity, just without the extra penalties for fraud.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:37 pm »
I'm no lawyer, but I would think—at least in the eyes of an impartial jury—that Bruce Jenner and Caitlyn Jenner are the same conscious being. The name and gender are different, but the person is still the same.

Really, it's not much different from a woman getting married and taking her husband's name (so heteronormative, I know!). It still wouldn't absolve her of any crimes she committed while single.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:14:18 pm »
Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how much Bruce has to pay to get out from under this fatal car accident.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:56:42 pm »
First he hasn't yet been charged. Second it could be a minor charge. Third nothing has changed except name and clothing.

But fourth, the basic question, in the eyes of the law you would remain the same person, even if eventually body arts get mutilated.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:08:11 pm »
I got curious enough to ask a friend of mine who has completed the legal transition. It is actually part of the documents change and one reason why it takes so long. Each document altered to read female instead of male (in my friend's case) came with a full background check as part of the deal - she got dinged for several unpaid tickets from 15 years ago, and had to pay them. :laugh:

Not saying it is like that in EVERY State, but it was her experience.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink