Author Topic: OMG...WTF??  (Read 5205 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: OMG...WTF??
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:58 pm »
Also have learned how to do the 'shuffle' walk...not stepping, but sort of dragging my feet, so as to not step on a tail.  My rugs' disigns make it impossible to 'see' sleeping cats in the dark.   :laugh:

I do that automatically. Not for the cat's benefit, just too many years of loose Lego  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline evadR

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:00 pm »
Also have learned how to do the 'shuffle' walk...not stepping, but sort of dragging my feet, so as to not step on a tail.  My rugs' disigns make it impossible to 'see' sleeping cats in the dark.   :laugh:
heh..sounds like you would build up a nice static charge for the cat when you do come in contact :)
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »
I do that automatically. Not for the cat's benefit, just too many years of loose Lego  :laugh:

Oh wow....that reminder actually 'hurt'.   Even though it's been decades, I can still 'feel' it.  LOL!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
heh..sounds like you would build up a nice static charge for the cat when you do come in contact :)

Actually, I invested in good humidifiers and don't pick up enough static.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »
I don't use google search engine ever but ever since I bought silverware at jc penneys for my granddaughters wedding gift I have seen ads for silverware on what ever website I am on. Since I have already bought this item why in heavens name do they keep bombarding me with ads it pisses me off so how does this help a consumer or the company advertizing? This has happened to me on so many items I purchase online that is one of the cons for shopping online. My smart phone I decided will not be smart I don't connect it to the internet I have no need to be online when out in public since I am retired and have enough time at home to do all I want online.
It's usually because of a thing called AdChoices, a company that runs the banner ads on a large number of Web sites. When you visit a company Web site that's advertising with AdChoices, they put a cookie (a small piece of data) on your computer, and when you visit a site that has banner ads through AdChoices, they will read that cookie and if one of those advertisers is in that cookie, it will display more ads from that advertiser. Of course, a lot of the time, it ends up putting ads for something you already just bought, which is useless.

Now, most AdChoices ads can be filtered out by using a "private browsing" feature that's in all the major browsers when you're visiting an online store. It's not totally foolproof, though, and I've found that Facebook's ads (which also use AdChoices) have sometimes been far more insidious.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »
It's usually because of a thing called AdChoices, a company that runs the banner ads on a large number of Web sites. When you visit a company Web site that's advertising with AdChoices, they put a cookie (a small piece of data) on your computer, and when you visit a site that has banner ads through AdChoices, they will read that cookie and if one of those advertisers is in that cookie, it will display more ads from that advertiser. Of course, a lot of the time, it ends up putting ads for something you already just bought, which is useless.

Now, most AdChoices ads can be filtered out by using a "private browsing" feature that's in all the major browsers when you're visiting an online store. It's not totally foolproof, though, and I've found that Facebook's ads (which also use AdChoices) have sometimes been far more insidious.

Hmmmm....

Are you suggesting maybe that this is a similar event that we all experience in life.  Like never noticing a Honda Pilot until you buy one?

The computer picked up that she checked a pattern on silverware.  And she was strategically 'hit' with numerous ads that ordinarily pique her interest.