Author Topic: Republicans might as well pound sand...By Eugene Robinson  (Read 1312 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans might as well pound sand...By Eugene Robinson
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hillary-clinton-tries-to-hit-all-the-right-buttons/2015/06/08/7bf3fc94-0e1e-11e5-a0dc-2b6f404ff5cf_story.html

By Eugene Robinson Opinion writer June 8 at 8:08 PM

After months of trying to weaken Hillary Clinton by pounding her with everything they’ve got, the amount of progress Republicans have made is pretty close to zero.

The GOP seems to have forgotten the central fact about the Clintons: That which does not kill them makes them stronger.

Yes, it’s true that a Washington Post-ABC News poll reported last week that Hillary Clinton’s favorability rating has dipped to 45 percent. Yes, people seem to disapprove of the way she handled her personal e-mails while she was secretary of state, wonder about all the money sloshing around the Clinton Foundation and question how she handled the Benghazi tragedy.

And yes, the poll found that, in a hypothetical matchup against Jeb Bush, her lead shrank in recent months from 12 points to just three. All of this should certainly cause the Clinton campaign to pay attention. But when asked who they thought would win the election, 55 percent said Clinton while only 39 percent said Bush.

Meanwhile, it is anything but certain that Bush will win the nomination, given the general chaos in the GOP. No matter: Clinton still leads against all comers, according to the polling averages compiled by the Real Clear Politics Web site.

The Republican field is so big that the networks scheduled to air the first debates have had to establish rules to determine who can participate. Fox News has said its Aug. 6 debate will include the 10 candidates scoring highest in an average of polls. CNN, for the Sept. 16 debate, announced it will also invite the top 10, then hold a second debate for those who failed to make the cut. It sounds like Thanksgiving — an adult table and a kids’ table. Now you behave over there, or no pumpkin pie.

Since getting to the big table is probably the difference between a viable candidacy and a futile one, there is a powerful incentive for GOP hopefuls to do anything they can to attract attention. If a debate were held tomorrow, two contenders best known for saying ridiculously outrageous and incendiary things — Donald Trump and Ben Carson — would be in the top 10. Several experienced current and former officeholders — Sen. Lindsey Graham from South Carolina, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former governors Rick Perry of Texas and George Pataki of New York — would not. Neither would businesswoman Carly Fiorina, the only woman in the Republican race.

The Post-ABC poll showed the GOP contest to be roughly a six-way tie, with no one scoring better than about 11 percent. Eventually, I’m confident, the party will coalesce around a nominee. But the process will take some time.

On the Democratic side, meanwhile, those who were hoping that Clinton would be challenged, if only to hone her skills for the general election, are getting their wish. Sen. Bernie Sanders, the Vermont independent, promises to get more traction with the party’s liberal base than former Maryland governor Martin O’Malley, former Virginia senator Jim Webb or former Rhode Island senator Lincoln Chafee.

But only in relative terms: Clinton has the support of nearly two-thirds of Democrats, according to the Post-ABC poll, leaving the rest to share the remaining third. Of those who have announced they are running, only Sanders manages to outscore “No Opinion,” and not by much.

We’ll have a better idea of how Clinton will perform on the stump this time around following her big kickoff rally, scheduled for Saturday on New York’s Roosevelt Island. So far, I’d say she’s doing quite well.

Her fiery speech last week in defense of voting rights was her campaign’s best moment so far. Clinton slammed several of the leading Republican candidates — by name — for their roles in GOP-led efforts to restrict the franchise through voter-ID laws and other means. And she called for automatic voter registration of all citizens upon reaching age 18.

Talk about hitting the right buttons. The big question about Clinton’s candidacy is whether she can inspire the coalition that twice elected President Obama — young people, minorities, women. Voting rights is an issue that reliably sends African Americans to the polls in large numbers. I’ll be surprised if Clinton doesn’t soon have major messages for Latinos on immigration policy and women on issues of reproductive rights.

How cynical, Republicans complain. Translation: How effective.

So far, Clinton has done any number of things right — and, by my count, nothing wrong. Next year’s election is still hers to lose, and she doesn’t seem inclined to do anything of the sort.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Republicans might as well pound sand...By Eugene Robinson
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:27:07 pm »
Eugene is lovin' him some Clinton!  Hillary is the most unlikeable candidate I can think of - but he is right that the Democrats will still vote for her....because she's a Clinton!  Watching Hillary campaign and watching the media spit-shine her boots will be such a boondoggle - for me, it will be entertainment!  She may well win, but she will be the worst, most cringe-worthy candidate to watch.

If a Republican can't beat her - there's none worthy to lead.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:43:12 pm »
The media has done their job, as prescribed by the DNC, very well. No one under 40 openly admits to voting Republican. It's almost as bad as admitting you're a Nazi.

The economy struggles, but hasn't collapsed, as most Republicans warned it would.
We are less safe, but haven't been attacked, as we were warned would happen.
The malls are full, gas is relatively cheap, and the internet works.

LIVs are reasonably happy, and secure in the media narrative that Democrats care, even if they are crooked, and Republicans are modern day Nazis.

Warren seems to have disappeared, much to my surprise. So, I guess we get another president Clinton.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 02:06:13 pm »
Warren seems to have disappeared, much to my surprise. So, I guess we get another president Clinton.

It is a fake out. Soros will bring Warren on in the last year or so. They are going to do another Obama scenario and kick Hillary's feet out from under her at the last minute. IMO
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 02:29:50 pm »
It is a fake out. Soros will bring Warren on in the last year or so. They are going to do another Obama scenario and kick Hillary's feet out from under her at the last minute. IMO

Agree.  Hillary is going to have a "health event" and will announce that she's going home to spend more time with her family and with her new granddaughter.  She's going to knit and do yoga (insert cackle). 

Warren is in the wings, waiting, but I'm not so sure she will get the nod.  I think the Democrat party knows they have the women's vote - no matter what.  I have said for some time that I think they will bring a Latino - probably  a male - candidate out of nowhere and he will be the candidate. 

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:35:04 pm »
Agree.  Hillary is going to have a "health event" and will announce that she's going home to spend more time with her family and with her new granddaughter.  She's going to knit and do yoga (insert cackle). 

Warren is in the wings, waiting, but I'm not so sure she will get the nod.  I think the Democrat party knows they have the women's vote - no matter what.  I have said for some time that I think they will bring a Latino - probably  a male - candidate out of nowhere and he will be the candidate.

I agree that it will be something like that. Maybe Latino, young, energetic, guy with looks and charisma. Makes sense. But they will do another 'Obama scenario'.

The candidate will not be Hillary.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »
Eugene "I see white people" Robinson can kiss my Caucasoid a$$.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 03:36:10 pm »
Eugene "I see white people" Robinson can kiss my Caucasoid a$$.   :whistle:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

The Republican field is so big that the networks scheduled to air the first debates have had to establish rules to determine who can participate. Fox News has said its Aug. 6 debate will include the 10 candidates scoring highest in an average of polls. CNN, for the Sept. 16 debate, announced it will also invite the top 10, then hold a second debate for those who failed to make the cut. It sounds like Thanksgiving — an adult table and a kids’ table. Now you behave over there, or no pumpkin pie.

Now why would any political party serious about opposing the Demonrat Party allow one of their 'debates' to air on an overtly Demonrat media outlet?

Oh, I know... 'cause it has worked out so well for them in the past...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:34:02 pm »
Now why would any political party serious about opposing the Demonrat Party allow one of their 'debates' to air on an overtly Demonrat media outlet?

To reach the swing voters. They can't just hide out on Fox News and preach to the choir.

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:05:31 pm »
I think anyone who watches the debate on CNN and isn't a pubbie already has their mind made up and it's not voting Republican.
In theory I guess it makes sense but in reality I'm not sure who we're reaching.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 06:07:07 pm »
Is there ANY potential moderator on CNN that wouldn't be a shill for the dims?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 06:22:39 pm »
To reach the swing voters. They can't just hide out on Fox News and preach to the choir.
But Republican parties are decided by "the choir."

Besides, there are plenty of other venues that are friendlier to conservatism than mainstream news.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »
Is there ANY potential moderator on CNN that wouldn't be a shill for the dims?
Jake Tapper has always been pretty fair.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »
I think anyone who watches the debate on CNN and isn't a pubbie already has their mind made up and it's not voting Republican.
In theory I guess it makes sense but in reality I'm not sure who we're reaching.

Exactly.  They're just trying to kick the football... again...

But they are the stoopid-party right?  It can't  be deliberate...  oh no... 

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 02:22:45 am »
Alice wrote above:
[[ If a Republican can't beat her - there's none worthy to lead. ]]

Alice, you're too kind to the Republican party establishment.

If the Pubbies can't beat Hillary in 2016, and then again in 2020 (if her health lasts that long), and that Hispanic guy "Castro" in 2024.... well....

They're done.... finis..... washed up..... as a party that can wield national power through the presidency any longer.
They may very well be washed up as a political party, period.

If some new party then happens to come along, with someone (or perhaps more than one) with an attractive message for the future, watch many state-office-holding Republicans abandon the "official" party, and jump on board the new wagon.

"When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, by nature they will like the strong horse"
(Osama bin Laden)

Offline Relic

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »
Alice wrote above:
[[ If a Republican can't beat her - there's none worthy to lead. ]]

Alice, you're too kind to the Republican party establishment.

If the Pubbies can't beat Hillary in 2016, and then again in 2020 (if her health lasts that long), and that Hispanic guy "Castro" in 2024.... well....

They're done.... finis..... washed up..... as a party that can wield national power through the presidency any longer.
They may very well be washed up as a political party, period.

If some new party then happens to come along, with someone (or perhaps more than one) with an attractive message for the future, watch many state-office-holding Republicans abandon the "official" party, and jump on board the new wagon.

"When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, by nature they will like the strong horse"
(Osama bin Laden)

While I'd prefer you don't quote that piece of garbage that was bin Laden, I am inclined to agree.

Americans under 40 have been conditioned to believe Republicans are just a short step away from being Nazis.

Rebranding is everything. Democrats suffered under the tag of being liberals, when the majority of Americans were conservatives. Democrats didn't change the party name, but they did rebrand as progressives. And the progressives cleverly took the long view. They infiltrated the schools, and the media. The rest is history.