Author Topic: Bashing GOP, Clinton calls for automatic voter registration  (Read 2835 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/244075-clinton-blasts-gop-rivals-on-voting-rights

June 04, 2015, 04:44 pm
Bashing GOP, Clinton calls for automatic voter registration

By Ben Kamisar and Jesse Byrnes

Hillary Clinton on Thursday blasted potential Republican rivals for the voting requirements in their states as she proposed a series of policies meant to expand access to the polls

The Democratic presidential candidate called for ensuring at least 20 days of early voting across the country, restoring key pieces of the Voting Rights Act and instituting automatic voter registration.

"Today Republicans are systematically and deliberately trying to stop millions of citizens from voting," she said during a speech at Texas Southern University in Houston.

"I call on Republicans at all levels of government, with all manner of ambition to stop fear-mongering about a phantom epidemic of election fraud and start explaining why they are so scared of letting citizens have their say."

Clinton went after former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush by name, accusing the Republican presidential hopefuls of taking part in “a sweeping effort to disempower and disenfranchise" minorities, young people and the poor.

She also condemned the Supreme Court’s 2013 decision to quash a key portion of the Voting Rights Act, which forced certain states with a history of discriminatory election laws to pre-clear their changes with the federal government. That, she argues, has allowed localities to pass more restrictive voting laws without oversight.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers has pushed for new legislation to address that decision. But Republican leaders in Congress have said action is unnecessary because the current structure provides ample protections for voting rights violations.

Clinton suggested Republicans intended to keep voters away from the polls. She said it was a "cruel irony, but no coincidence" that young voters "are now facing so much exclusion."

She said that automatic voter registration across the country, except for those who opt out, would have a “profound impact on our elections, on our democracy,” while panning the current system as a “relic.”

Critics hit back, pointing to the lack of early voting in Clinton's adopted home state of New York, one of 14 states without the option, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

“Hillary Clinton’s rhetoric is misleading and divisive. In reality, the vast majority of Americans — including minority voters — support commonsense measures to prevent voter fraud," said Orlando Watson, a Republican National Committee spokesman focused on black media, in a statement.

Proponents of the recently enacted state laws, who argue they put more power in local jurisdictions over the federal government, also pushed back against the idea of automatic voter registration.

“Clinton’s embrace of mandatory or ‘universal’ voter registration may sound above reproach, but the actual means to accomplish such a policy would risk substantial voter dilution for citizens," said Catherine Engelbrecht, founder of the Houston-based conservative group True the Vote.

Clinton made her remarks at Texas Southern University, a historically black university in Houston, where she received an inaugural award named after former Rep. Barbara Jordan, the first black woman elected to the House from the Deep South.

During her Senate tenure and her 2008 presidential campaign, Clinton pushed to make Election Day a national holiday and called for other measures allowing easier access at polls, especially for minorities.

At the time, she said some voter ID requirements amounted to a "modern day poll tax." More requirements on voters have been implemented since then, which she panned in her remarks.

Clinton, who announced her White House bid in April and will hold her first rally June 13, has made a push for issues seen as impacting those in minority communities as Democrats look to hold together the coalition that helped elect President Obama in 2008.

In April, she outlined her vision for criminal justice reform, along with a call for all police to have body cameras, an issue that drew massive attention following high-profile cases of police-involved deaths of black men.

One key for Clinton in the 2016 race will be getting Democrats to show up at the polls. High turnout among minorities, and African Americans in particular, helped put Obama over the top in a number of battleground states in 2008 and 2012.

Lawyers allied with Clinton and national Democrats have also filed lawsuits in battleground states of Ohio and Wisconsin challenging voting laws that they say are too restrictive.

During her speech, Clinton evoked example of voting hurdles, students being unable to use their IDs to vote, grandmothers being turned away from polls because of expired driver's licenses and fathers released from prison unable to vote.

After she spoke, a student played "How Great is Our God" on the viola while Clinton bobbed her head.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Bashing GOP, Clinton calls for automatic voter registration
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:06:26 pm »
So what she is saying that blacks are too stupid to get an id??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:50:49 am »
katiepack @katiepack
@HillaryClinton why stop there?  Why not force people to vote?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 02:30:18 am »
Is it just me or is Hillary being extra douchey this go round?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 03:04:16 pm »
Is it just me or is Hillary being extra douchey this go round?

It's all she's got. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:39 pm »

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 03:22:59 pm »
First of all, voting processes are a state issue.  Hillary's trying to nationalize something the Constitution specifically leaves to the states.

So, she's demagoguing, as usual.

Second, more people are voting now in presidential elections than ever before. Lots of registered voters don't bother to vote, so I don't see where registration is a magic bullet for the Democrats.

Third, the country overwhelmingly approves of Voter ID.  So there's that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 04:24:00 pm »

HRC's plan to help blacks is to make it easier for them to vote.  Not to get them out of poverty, not to give them educational opportunities via school vouchers ... Nope, just make it easier for them to vote for Democrats.

Will the black community ever wake up and see that the Dems intentionally keep them poor, uneducated, and dependent on white Dems?
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »
HRC's plan to help blacks is to make it easier for them to vote.  Not to get them out of poverty, not to give them educational opportunities via school vouchers ... Nope, just make it easier for them to vote for Democrats.

Will the black community ever wake up and see that the Dems intentionally keep them poor, uneducated, and dependent on white Dems?

The race pimp string pulling keeps their attitudes antagonistic, at times passive, lately aggressive. Liberal black think now is using the Federal govt to vault themselves to the top of the National Caste System and put themselves above all law or accepted rules of civilized social behavior. Whites now are sheep to prey on, fleece, and slaughter if necessary.

That in their minds is their golden ticket to pull themselves out of poverty. They'll just take it from whites.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:27:52 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 06:31:24 pm »
Yep. That is kind of funny in a weird way that the Libs keep promoting this idea that Voter ID is targeted against Blacks. How can that be when we all have to do it? What is special about Black people not having an ID? I have never heard of this phenomenon?

Furthermore, they will say that voter ID will "stop people from voting". Well of course it will?! That is the whole point of any ID anywhere. It is supposed to stop people from doing things they are not supposed to do and to officially identify them in a legal way. That is what an ID is. That is what it is for. (crazy argument, dude)

I need an ID just to get into the building where I work. I never felt 'oppressed'. Try cashing a check without an ID and see what happens, you will be oppressed. The banks do not want Black people to cash checks, I guess? And the liquor stores want to stop Blacks, and only Blacks, from buying booze? Oppression! They are keeping the Black man down! What a silly way to think.

The whole Liberal argument is laughably illogical, and patently ridiculous prima facie. But nobody has ever accused a Liberal of being 'logical'. So, it is expected anyway.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 07:02:41 pm »
The race pimp string pulling keeps their attitudes antagonistic, at times passive, lately aggressive. Liberal black think now is using the Federal govt to vault themselves to the top of the National Caste System and put themselves above all law or accepted rules of civilized social behavior. Whites now are sheep to prey on, fleece, and slaughter if necessary.

That in their minds is their golden ticket to pull themselves out of poverty. They'll just take it from whites.

Whether you intended to or not, you just describe most of Africa very accurately. And then as soon as they take it, it immediately goes to crap. And everybody loses.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:04:30 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Carling

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »
katiepack @katiepack
@HillaryClinton why stop there?  Why not force people to vote?

Obama already floated that trial balloon.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/obama-mandatory-voting/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:21:01 pm »

Well in Illinois it is happening.. Look up Pastor Corey Brooks..

Offline Carling

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 12:25:55 am »

Well in Illinois it is happening.. Look up Pastor Corey Brooks..

I saw that, and was encouraged.  Why hasn't a Rubio, Paul, or Cruz pointed out today what I posted, though.  50 years of Dems ruling blacks, and the only plan HRC has for them is to make it easier for them to vote for Dems.  That's not a plan, that's systemic slavery.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 01:38:18 am »

Brilliant point.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 01:43:27 am »
I saw that, and was encouraged.  Why hasn't a Rubio, Paul, or Cruz pointed out today what I posted, though.  50 years of Dems ruling blacks, and the only plan HRC has for them is to make it easier for them to vote for Dems.  That's not a plan, that's systemic slavery.

Well Rand Paul, has been doing that.. I think we are seeing an attempt by the 2016 field that will.. I know they don't need a majority.. Just peel away some votes from the minority community and I think we can win in 2016. Let Hillary make an fool of herself.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 01:49:11 am »
Obama already floated that trial balloon.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/obama-mandatory-voting/

Unbelievable.  Thanx for the link.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 02:13:01 am »
Carling wonders above:
[[ Will the black community ever wake up and see that the Dems intentionally keep them poor, uneducated, and dependent on white Dems? ]]

No.
There won't be any changes forthcoming from that.

Perhaps -some- Hispanics may eventually wake up. But the numbers of those who do probably won't constitute anything near a majority, and I doubt it will help the Republicans much.

But blacks?
Never.
That's a done deal.
Ask ol' Lyndon Johnson...

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 12:31:51 pm »
Carling wonders above:
[[ Will the black community ever wake up and see that the Dems intentionally keep them poor, uneducated, and dependent on white Dems? ]]

But blacks?
Never.
That's a done deal.
Ask ol' Lyndon Johnson...

"We'll have those bleep voting Democrat for a hundred years." [actual historical quote]

He could not have been more right. He knew what he was doing. And he did it correctly.
How could the KKK manage to corral all the Blacks? I don't know? But they did?

Crazy world we live in.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:08 pm »

Nope....consider this:

1) Recently on DRUDGE that there's a "mystery" as to exactly how many Americans there are today. (despite Census)
2) Immigrants are "pouring in " places like (drumroll.....South Carolina and Texas and assorted "Red States".
3) She's asking for 20 days of early voting, and automatic registration ...which could simply be extended, etc..

They are planning on stealing the 2016 election outright.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 03:10:03 pm »
They are planning on stealing the 2016 election outright.   :whistle:

Ok guys, here is the plan. We know that 'nobody', and I mean really nobody likes Hillary. Even the Democrats do not want her.

They know this. So, they plan to do another "Obama".

They float Hillary out there. Everybody hates her. And then, dun-da-da-dun! it is Warren to the rescue. They are going to do another "Obama" on her ass. It is 'Obama' redux.

We all know that Hillary is a troll, and has no chance of winning. They're going to do the same thing they did before. Hillary is toast. Nobody wants her. Even her own people say that she is an evil shrew.

But, yea, it is another head-fake. Hillary is not the candidate. Warren is. It is just a matter of timing.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 03:11:44 pm »
It's all she's got.

DITTO, backed off the  women issue since Carly entered the race and Carly takes Hillary apart piece by piece??? :beer:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »
Ok guys, here is the plan. We know that 'nobody', and I mean really nobody likes Hillary. Even the Democrats do not want her.

They know this. So, they plan to do another "Obama".

They float Hillary out there. Everybody hates her. And then, dun-da-da-dun! it is Warren to the rescue. They are going to do another "Obama" on her ass. It is 'Obama' redux.

We all know that Hillary is a troll, and has no chance of winning. They're going to do the same thing they did before. Hillary is toast. Nobody wants her. Even her own people say that she is an evil shrew.

But, yea, it is another head-fake. Hillary is not the candidate. Warren is. It is just a matter of timing.

As long as a she has a D beside her name she will win CA, OR, WASH, MASS, NY, NJ and PA. She has murdered people and got away with it, Liar, Crook but the LIBS do not care. She still wins FOR SURE the above States. :nono:

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »
Why do I have visions of styrofoam Roman Colosseum pillars in my head?