Author Topic: Windows 10 question  (Read 1761 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Windows 10 question
« on: June 04, 2015, 05:22:37 pm »
I have windows 7..love it....I got a message/pop-up from microsoft saying they are updating all windows 7 and 8 to 10 free of charge...Does anyone have it and is it difficult to use...remember I hate change..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Windows 10 question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:30:38 pm »
I noticed that yesterday, and I too don't know whether the upgrade is worth it. In my experience, upgrades generally suck.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:33:45 pm »
If you like windows 7 you should keep it. It's a solid operating system and there is no reason you should feel compelled to switch. Some people still prefer windows XP.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:34:37 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:57 pm »
I hate Windows 8.  Pretty much love the earlier versions of Windows.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:49:04 pm »
If you like windows 7 you should keep it. It's a solid operating system and there is no reason you should feel compelled to switch. Some people still prefer windows XP.

XP was great. Why company programmers think they need to constantly change proven operating systems is completely beyond my understanding.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
BTW, Vista and 8 both suck big time.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:27:43 pm »
Windows 3.1 was a big improvement over Windows 3.0 A friend of mine worked for Intel, BEFORE the PC came out. He's been a consultant since then.

He recently switched his focus entirely to Apple. Said he was finally convinced things simply didn't need to be as complex and troublesome as MS insists on making them.

If they blow Win 10, I think consumers will start to look elsewhere, in bigger and bigger numbers.

I say that because unlike 10 years ago, most of them have seen the simplicity of Android and iPhones.

They know simplicity is possible, and that it works just as well.

So Windows 10 needs to scream loudly and clearly to customers: "We can make things simple for you, too."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:56 pm »
I have windows 7..love it....I got a message/pop-up from microsoft saying they are updating all windows 7 and 8 to 10 free of charge...Does anyone have it and is it difficult to use...remember I hate change..lol

No one will get it until after July 29th unless you want to sign up to be a beta tester which is not recommended unless you are a whiz.

I've read a  lot of positive reviews so I'm signed up to get Windows 10 pro when it comes out.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:02 pm »
Windows 3.1 was a big improvement over Windows 3.0 A friend of mine worked for Intel, BEFORE the PC came out. He's been a consultant since then.

He recently switched his focus entirely to Apple. Said he was finally convinced things simply didn't need to be as complex and troublesome as MS insists on making them.

If they blow Win 10, I think consumers will start to look elsewhere, in bigger and bigger numbers.

I say that because unlike 10 years ago, most of them have seen the simplicity of Android and iPhones.

They know simplicity is possible, and that it works just as well.

So Windows 10 needs to scream loudly and clearly to customers: "We can make things simple for you, too."

Like so many other windows users I suffered all the typical windows indignities and frustrations, from crashes and lost data, to going in circles trying to make a settings change.

Well, on the recommendation of my twenty-something secretary I got an iPad and BOOM it was simple and it quickly incorporated into my life. When the iPhone 6 came out I finally jumped aboard a smart phone. Again, it was simple and it was mirrored to my iPad -- no learning curve.

Now I think I'm ready to go all iOS and get a Mac and finally toss my #&+% piece of garbage Sony Vaio out the (wait for it) .... Windows!!! Ahahaha!!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:18:18 pm »
Like so many other windows users I suffered all the typical windows indignities and frustrations, from crashes and lost data, to going in circles trying to make a settings change.

Well, on the recommendation of my twenty-something secretary I got an iPad and BOOM it was simple and it quickly incorporated into my life. When the iPhone 6 came out I finally jumped aboard a smart phone. Again, it was simple and it was mirrored to my iPad -- no learning curve.

Now I think I'm ready to go all iOS and get a Mac and finally toss my #&+% piece of garbage Sony Vaio out the (wait for it) .... Windows!!! Ahahaha!!
Last November I got a Dell 2 in 1 touchscreen, with Windows 8.1.

It has a nice physical package, but in my view, the software is a disappointment, to say the least.

Bottom line: I arrived at the conclusion "things just don't have to be as complicated as Windows makes them be."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 09:41:29 pm »

Using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and...knock wood...it's been perfect.

I too, hate change.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 10:20:57 pm »

Using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and...knock wood...it's been perfect.nt

I too, hate change.

That is what I'm currently running as well and wouldn't be remotely interested in changing except for the word being that Windows10 is supposed to be the NEW Windows 7. If that proves to be untrue I WILL go back to 7.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 12:13:10 am »
I have Windows 8.1 and I really don't care of it. From what I have seen of Windows 10, it  looks good..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 12:19:48 am »

That is what I'm currently running as well and wouldn't be remotely interested in changing except for the word being that Windows10 is supposed to be the NEW Windows 7. If that proves to be untrue I WILL go back to 7.

That's the dilemma...can we go back to 7 if we hate 10???
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 12:27:30 am »
That's the dilemma...can we go back to 7 if we hate 10???

Sure! If you have a complete system image backup or, failing that, your original installation disk.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 12:50:10 am »
Sure! If you have a complete system image backup or, failing that, your original installation disk.

no idea where that disk is...damn
Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 12:51:31 am »
BTW, Vista and 8 both suck big time.

Discussing issues at work I would often tell my boss, "They paid somebody a lot of money to screw that up."

He never did like hearing me say that...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 01:01:49 am »
no idea where that disk is...damn

Buy yourself an external HD (cheap these days) and make yourself a system image on that drive before you install Windows 10 just in case you want to go back to 7 later.

- J. R. R. Tolkien