Author Topic: WV teacher threatened with fine for violating Michelle O’s school snack rules  (Read 1137 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://eagnews.org/wv-teacher-threatened-with-fine-for-violating-michelle-os-school-snack-rules/

WV teacher threatened with fine for violating Michelle O’s school snack rules
June 1, 2015
Kyle Olson

WILLIAMSON, W.V. – Students and parents are rallying to the defense of a teacher who is accused of violating federal school snack rules.

The Williamson PreK-8 teacher, who was not identified, would give her students “wrapped candy” as a reward for their hard work and good behavior.

Because the practice was an alleged violation of the federal rules championed by first lady Michelle Obama, Mingo County Schools Director of Child Nutrition Kay Maynard “placed a call to officials at the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) to report the incident,” the Williamson Daily News reports.

Maynard also spoke to Williamson PreK-8 principal Shannon Blackburn, telling him about the possibility of a monetary fine for the teacher.

When news spread, parents and student mobilized, collecting pennies to pay the potential fine on the teacher’s behalf.[float=right][/float]

Administrators at the WVDE decided the teacher’s violation was not a “deliberate attempt” to break Michelle Obama’s rules and said instead of fining the teacher, they required the department to “develop a corrective action plan to include training on child nutrition policies.”

By participating in the National School Lunch Program, the school district must adhere to edicts handed down from Washington, D.C.

Those rules state that food, such as “wrapped candy,” cannot be used as “a reward and it cannot be withheld as a punishment.”

Administrators with Mingo County Schools claim the federal rules were developed “to help educators encourage students to make healthy decisions.”

If they’re not strictly followed, schools can be required to return federal school lunch money, be penalized for state and federal food service programs, or make all schools in the county vulnerable to similar punishment.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I'm all for healthy eating, but it's also important to chill out!  Giving a kid a treat as a reward for a job well done is teaching a kid to work for rewards - not have them handed to them just for showing up. 

Bitch is taking candy from babies now.   :nono:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Paladin

By participating in the National School Lunch Program, the school district must adhere to edicts handed down from Washington, D.C.

Where do the Feds get the Constitutional authority for this program to begin with?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline aligncare

Where do the Feds get the Constitutional authority for this program to begin with?

Oh, boy. Here we go again....

Online mountaineer

Accept a dime from the feds, and they'll control everything you do.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

Teacher Hands Out Candy To Her Students, Faces Monetary Fine For Violating Michelle’s School Lunch Program

Robert Gehl 
June 2, 2015

A teacher in West Virginia has run afoul of Michelle’s school lunch rules – and she will be made to pay, literally.

The teacher in Williamson was accused of handing out wrapped candy to her students as a reward for their good behavior and hard work, the local paper reports, and that teacher may now be required to pay a “monetary fine.”

Parents are rallying to the teacher’s defense and are holding fundraisers to collect pennies to pay for any fine.

EAGNews is reporting the school board rules prohibit handing out any food as a reward to students. The policy was adopted to comply with Michelle Obama’s federal school lunch guidelines.

Because the practice was an alleged violation of the federal rules championed by first lady Michelle Obama, Mingo County Schools Director of Child Nutrition Kay Maynard “placed a call to officials at the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) to report the incident,” the Williamson Daily News reports.

Maynard also spoke to Williamson PreK-8 principal Shannon Blackburn, telling him about the possibility of a monetary fine for the teacher.

Apparently, the district could set an example of this teacher because if teachers keep handing out food to children willy-nilly, they could lose federal funding.

For the last four years, the district has provided free breakfasts and lunches to all students in the district.

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/teacher-hands-out-candy-to-her-students-faces-monetary-fine-for-violating-michelles-school-lunch-program
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:08:20 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
This might be the most asinine thing I've ever heard.  The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves.  I'm certain that they could not have imagined a time when a person gives candy to a child--apparently with the parents' approval--and some agent of the government comes along and issues a fine against them.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline aligncare

Agreed. Totally stooooopid!!!

(Aside: federal government thinks it's good to give Iran nukes, but bad to give children candy... I'm getting too old for this world and I'm only 63!)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Agreed. Totally stooooopid!!!

(Aside: federal government thinks it's good to give Iran nukes, but bad to give children candy... I'm getting too old for this world and I'm only 63!)

I feel that way.  Everything is upside down.  I think it's evil run amok.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

Feds?  This is running afoul of Moochelle!! :thud: