Author Topic: President Barack Obama is bummed that the Bulls fired Tom Thibodeau  (Read 689 times)

Offline mountaineer

Mr. "priorities in order":
President Barack Obama is bummed that the Bulls fired Tom Thibodeau
By Dan Devine
Yahoo Sports

Noted Chicago Bulls fan and governing enthusiast President Barack Obama took a break from a Thursday afternoon Twitter chat about climate change to offer his opinion on the Bulls' decision to fire head coach Tom Thibodeau after five successful but acrimony-filled years.

Back in 2010, when the Bulls snagged Thibodeau from the Boston Celtics, where he'd helped helm a defensive renaissance that resulted in two NBA Finals trips in three years and one championship, Obama praised the move:
"When the job was open again, I talked to [U.S. Secretary of Education and 2014 All-Star Celebrity Game MVP Arne] Duncan several times on the subject, and he still strongly recommended Thibodeau," [Bulls chairman Jerry] Reinsdorf recalled. ‘‘So we hired him. Then in July 2010, the White Sox were playing in Washington, and we invited President Obama to come to the game.

‘‘First, David Axelrod [then Obama's senior adviser] arrived and said, ‘Thanks for hiring Thibodeau.' Then a little while later, President Obama came in and the first thing he said to me was, ‘Great hire.'"

As you might expect, then, the president — who cheered his Bulls on and talked some trash at Verizon Center shortly after his inauguration in 2009, has played pickup hoops with multiple generations of Bulls stars and even got a 50th birthday present (on which his name was misspelled, but whatever) from Michael Jordan — wasn't so happy to learn Thibodeau had been shown the door:
.@apat246 @chicagobulls love thibs and think he did a great job. Sorry to see him go but expect he will be snatched up soon by another team.
— President Obama (@POTUS) May 28, 2015
Thibodeau is expected to draw interest from the New Orleans Pelicans, who have recently interviewed Van Gundy and met with Warriors assistant Alvin Gentry about their vacancy, and from the Orlando Magic, although former Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks coach Scott Skiles is reportedly the front-runner for that position.

Obama also decided to spare a moment to offer a brief take on the now-set NBA Finals matchup between the Eastern Conference champion Cleveland Cavaliers and Western Conference-winning Golden State Warriors:
.@NathenVieira jr smith having a great season but the heart of the Cavs is Lebron. And no one can outshoot Curry - maybe Korver if wide open
— President Obama (@POTUS) May 28, 2015
A decidedly reasonable take from a man who's been known to scream at teammates who take bad shots — "They're not bad, Mr. President, they're just more fun" — and who's not shy about letting you know when he's got his jumper working.
Which I'm guessing is rarely.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Punk Obama is too bad of an athlete to understand that showing photos and video of his 'talent' is embarrassing.

He reminds me of the no-talent egotists on American Idol.

btw, GO CAVS!!

(And I don't even like the NBA!)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

It is so comforting to know that the President of the United States has nothing better to do.

Offline musiclady

It is so comforting to know that the President of the United States has nothing better to do.

Yeah............ why go to a national security meeting when you can shoot some hoops................ badly.   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

This was his schedule yesterday. Exhausting (but plenty of time for recreation and TV viewing)!

Friday, May 29, 2015
10:00 am || Receives the Presidential Daily briefing
3:35 pm || Meets with Attorney General Lynch