Author Topic: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global  (Read 739 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/25/french-supermarkets-donate-food-waste-global-law-campaign

A councillor whose campaign against food waste led to a law forcing French supermarkets to donate unwanted food to charity has set his sights on getting similar legislation passed globally. Arash Derambarsh said it was “scandalous and absurd” that food is wasted and in some cases deliberately spoiled while the homeless, poor and unemployed go hungry. Derambarsh – a municipal councillor for the “Divers Droit” (diverse right) in Courbevoie, north-west of Paris – persuaded French MPs to adopt the regulation after a petition gained more than 200,000 signatures and celebrity support in just four months. The amendment was approved as part of a wider law – the Loi Macron – that covers economic activity and equality in France and is expected to be passed by the national assembly on Tuesday, entering the statute books shortly afterwards. It will bar supermarkets from throwing away food approaching best-before dates and deliberately poisoning products with bleach to stop them being retrieved by people foraging through bins.

Now Derambarsh wants to convince European countries and the wider world to adopt similar bans. “Food is the basis of life, it is an elementary factor in our existence,” he told the Guardian. “I have been insulted and attacked and accused of being naive and idealistic, but I became a local councillor because I wanted to help people. Perhaps it is naive to be concerned about other human beings, but I know what it is like to be hungry. “When I was a law student living on about €400 a month after I’d paid my rent, I used to have one proper meal a day around 5pm. I’d eat pasta, or potatoes, but it’s hard to study or work if you are hungry and always thinking about where the next meal will come from.” Derambarsh started his campaign by collecting and distributing unwanted food from his local supermarket. “Every day we’d help around 100 people. Half would be single mothers with several children, pensioners or public workers on low salaries, the other half would be those living on the streets or in shelters,” he said.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

“When I was a law student living on about €400 a month after I’d paid my rent, I used to have one proper meal a day around 5pm. I’d eat pasta, or potatoes, but it’s hard to study or work if you are hungry and always thinking about where the next meal will come from.”

/snicker

Yeah, he knows all about want and need.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
"Force"; there is that word again.

Oceander

"Force"; there is that word again.

That's all that the left really knows, at bottom.  It is why left wing political movements inevitably devolve into fascism, or worse.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In some ways I actually agree with him - it is truly barbaric that people go hungry while good food gets destroyed. The supermarkets don't even like it - donated end of date food is a lot better for the bottom line, both in PR and in actual costs, than destroying it.

Force is not even necessary, though the first thought of the Left as always. Just get the various government agencies and insurance companies out of the way and the supermarkets will jump at the chance!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink