Author Topic: Islamic State crisis: Iraq will take back Ramadi 'in days' - PM Abadi  (Read 687 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32872346

The Iraqi city of Ramadi could be taken back from Islamic State (IS) militants "in days", Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has told the BBC. But he said more support was needed from international coalition partners. Iraqi forces have suffered a number of defeats at the hands of IS over the past year, and fled from a smaller militant force in Ramadi last week. On Sunday, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter said that the rout showed Iraqi troops lacked the will to fight. Mr Carter told CNN that the Iraqis had chosen to withdraw despite the fact that they "vastly outnumbered" IS forces. Meanwhile, the leader of the Lebanese Shia Hezbollah movement, Hassan Nasrallah, said the world faced an unprecedented danger from IS and other Sunni militant groups fighting in Syria. Some observers say IS now controls 50% of Syria's entire territory - as well as a third of Iraq.

In a BBC interview, Mr Abadi said he was surprised at the US defence secretary's comments. "[Mr Carter] was very supportive of Iraq and I am sure he was fed with the wrong information," he said. The prime minister added that his forces were fazed by IS shock tactics. "They have the will to fight but when they are faced with an onslaught by [IS] from nowhere... with armoured trucks packed with explosives, the effect of them is like a small nuclear bomb - it gives a very very bad effect on our forces," he said. The Iraqi government has deployed Shia militias to the area to try to stop the IS advance, and Mr Abadi said he was confident that Ramadi could be recaptured. "It makes my heart bleed because we lost Ramadi, but I can assure you we can bring it back soon," he said.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Of course you will.  :whistle:

Of all the incompetent, corrupt, venial, cowardly and outright useless forces it has been my displeasure to work with, the new Iraqi army is, if not the worst, pretty damned close.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It was amazing. The Americans move toward the sound of gunfire. They thought Americans were crazy.

The Arabs, when they hear a gun, they run like girls or like a guy who loves to take it in the butt, homos and cowards.These guys will set a record for running away as far away as they can get in 2.9 seconds.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:46:28 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
There are exceptions - the Kurds, some of the Pashto region tribes (though they'll all rob you blind!), Jordanians (who are fearless!) but yep! Only full army I've seen that prefers running shoes to boots.

:beer: :beer:

Still, it does make it funny when you do catch some of the sods. Those brave jihadis, fearless in the service of Allah, crying, wailing and fouling themselves, almost choking in their haste to spill everything they know and save their sorry asses. Weird folks.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink