Author Topic: Huckabee stands by Duggar family amid molestation scandal  (Read 928 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Huckabee stands by Duggar family amid molestation scandal
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:48:13 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/22/huckabee-stands-by-duggar-family-during-molestation-scandal/

Huckabee stands by Duggar family amid molestation scandal
Published May 22, 2015FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON –  GOP presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee said Friday he is standing by the Duggar family following an admission by the eldest son, Joshua, that he molested five girls when he was a teenager.

Huckabee, in a Facebook post, called the actions “inexcusable” but added that didn’t mean “unforgivable.”

“Janet and I want to affirm our support for the Duggar family. ... He and his family dealt with it and were honest and open about it with the victims and the authorities. No purpose whatsoever is served by those who are now trying to discredit Josh or his family by sensationalizing the story,” he said.

The Duggars, a family from Arkansas, are part of the TLC reality show “19 Kids and Counting.”

Joshua Duggar apologized and resigned from his position at the Family Research Council Thursday after reports surfaced that he allegedly sexually assaulted four female siblings, plus an additional female victim.

The incidents date back to 2002 when Duggar would have been 14 years old. In the 33-page police report that FOX411 viewed, the name of the Duggar family members in question are redacted throughout.

Several members of the Duggar family were interviewed by police, as detailed in the report, and they confirmed the incidents, but all the victims said they felt safe at their home, and that no incidents had occurred since Josh returned from a "training center."

They said the incidents brought the family closer to God and that their brother had been forgiven.

“No one needs to defend Josh’s actions as a teenager, but the fact that he confessed his sins to those he harmed, sought help, and has gone forward to live a responsible and circumspect life as an adult is testament to his family’s authenticity and humility,” Huckabee wrote.

TLC confirmed Friday it has pulled reruns of the show from its schedule. It has not said whether the show will be cancelled.

“We are deeply saddened and troubled by this heartbreaking situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and victims at this difficult time," said the network statement emailed by publicity chief Shannon Llanes.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Huckabee stands by Duggar family amid molestation scandal
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 01:47:09 pm »
Joshua Duggar apologized and resigned from his position at the Family Research Council Thursday after reports surfaced that he allegedly sexually assaulted four female siblings, plus an additional female victim.

That's a new twist.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 02:09:12 pm »
So he is standing by the Duggars the same way Libs stood by Lena Dunham when she admitting molesting her sister?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »
So he is standing by the Duggars the same way Libs stood by Lena Dunham when she admitting molesting her sister?

Dunham precipitated the only instance in my life of me turning a TV show off due to nudity.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:50:21 pm »
Dunham precipitated the only instance in my life of me turning a TV show off due to nudity.
And yet, amazingly, that show is still on the air, may I remind everyone.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 04:37:49 pm »
And yet, amazingly, that show is still on the air, may I remind everyone.

It isn't for the ratings, they barely get a one share, viewership so low it would get most cancelled. I'm sure it is do to the NYC 'in' crowd being tight with the actors and producers. Brian William's daughter is one of the stars and the producer Judd Apatow is very politically connected to the point he gets awards for bombs just because of who he is.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:29 pm »
It isn't for the ratings, they barely get a one share, viewership so low it would get most cancelled. I'm sure it is do to the NYC 'in' crowd being tight with the actors and producers. Brian William's daughter is one of the stars and the producer Judd Apatow is very politically connected to the point he gets awards for bombs just because of who he is.
It also helps that it's HBO, which relies only on subscription revenue and doesn't accept advertising the way most other networks do. That is what ended up happening here; General Mills (sponsor of the show) basically blacklisted TLC.

I think, though, that these companies miss the point of advertising. If there is an uproar about something like this, it means people are watching the show. Not only that, but people are paying attention to the show. If I am an advertiser, that's exactly what I want. It's more likely to make me WANT to buy ad time knowing it will be seen. These advertisers are way too sensitive. Organizations like Media Matters and other such groups only need to astroturf and send a few "angry" phone calls to shut down a show's funding (think of the whole Sandra Fluke fiasco a couple years ago).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024