Author Topic: Same-sex marriage on course to be approved by Ireland  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Same-sex marriage on course to be approved by Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 01:42:14 pm »
Did anyone mention that the "yes" contingent flew voters in from outside the country to pad the vote totals?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:51:45 pm »
So, does this mean that Gerald Fitzpatrick will finally be able to achieve wedded bliss with his long-time partner Patrick Fitzgerald?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:52:20 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:44:49 pm »
They can call it whatever they like, but it still ain't marriage.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:53:59 pm »
Ireland becomes first country to approve gay marriage in referendum

Published time: May 23, 2015 19:06   
 With all the votes now counted, Ireland has become the first nation in the world to legalize same-sex marriages by popular vote.

The results from all the constituencies have now been declared. Ireland has voted for same-sex marriages with 62.1 percent Yes to 37.9 percent No, or 1,201,607 votes to 734,300. The total turnout was 60.5 percent.

However unexpected a gay marriage referendum might appear in the traditionally Catholic country, officials acknowledged a ‘Yes’ vote looked in the bag even before the count began. Saturday morning, several ministers already predicted that the vote would pass.

“I think it's won,” Equality Minister Aodhan O'Riordain told Reuters. “This has really touched a nerve in Ireland today and I'm so proud to be Irish.”

John Murray from Catholic think tank the Iona Institute, believed to be one of the main opponents of the controversial legislative intention, has also cautiously noted that the bill might pass.

“Everyone seems to be predicting a 'yes' ... and that seems to be the case at the moment. It's disappointing,” Murray said, just minutes after the first ballot boxes were opened.

All Ireland's main political parties, including the conservatives, have showed support to amending the constitutional definition of marriage.

"Whatever the final outcome, the issue of equality for gay and lesbian citizens is a live political issue," Gerry Adams, president of the nationalist Sinn Fein opposition party, told The Daily Telegraph.

The country’s Catholic Church hierarchy campaigned for a "No" vote, insisting marriage can only involve a man and woman. Many older and rural voters agreed with the clergy. However, on Saturday, David Quinn, of the Catholic think tank the Iona Institute, tweeted: "Congratulations to the Yes side. Well done."

Political analyst Noel Whelan told AP that "Yes" majorities were reported even in conservative rural districts of Ireland, and the question is now is how big the victory will be.

http://rt.com/news/261449-ireland-gay-marriage-referendum/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:54:52 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:21:53 pm »
Did anyone mention that the "yes" contingent flew voters in from outside the country to pad the vote totals?

Irrelevant. They were still Irish citizens just working abroad, people being Ireland's biggest export still.

The people picked, that's fine and their choice. Though I do wonder if the result had been reversed would the pro "gay marriage" people have been half as accepting of the result? That is a hypothetical question, no need to answer.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 02:43:27 am »
They can call it whatever they like, but it still ain't marriage.

They decided to call it marriage.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:45:50 am »
"Ireland has officially passed the same-sex marraige referendum with 1.2 million people voting in its favour. The result was confirmed just before 7pm with the final three Cork constituencies counted. The Yes vote prevailed by 62 to 38 per cent with a 60.5 per cent turnout."

Pretty resounding.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 03:41:47 am »
So civil marriage now includes same-sex couples. 

Now that the gay lobby has prevailed there (and will likely prevail here), let's see what shoe they'll drop next.

I predict they'll force the state to take away the ability of ministers, rabbis, Imams to be representatives of the state for marriage.  So couples will now have to seek a civil marriage, then a religious marriage (or vice versa).  That's a common European practice, just a pain in the ass for couples seeking marriage.

If it stays there, good. But, knowing the gay lobby, they'll try to remove tax exemption from denominations that refuse to recognize gay marriage, and may even try to force religious ministers to officiate at gay marriages.

The gay lobby never rests.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 04:02:08 am »

Why should they? They are winning on all fronts.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 04:23:19 am »

On a related story, Franklin Graham is "calling out" Robert Gates for "putting children at risk" for calling for an end to the Scouts' ban on openly gay Scout Master.

Neither side rests.