Author Topic: Hunting Vote Could Be Just 'Months Away'  (Read 591 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Hunting Vote Could Be Just 'Months Away'
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »
A decision on whether a ban on fox hunting will be scrapped could be made in the next few months according to one Conservative MP.

Simon Hart, MP for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire told Sky News he hoped debate on the issue would have begun by autumn adding: "Now there's an outright Conservative government majority, it doesn't seem to me there is any point in hanging around.

"I think it would be a shame if we haven't at least got this under way by, say, the autumn."

Hunting foxes with packs of hounds became illegal in 2004 but the Conservative government has promised to "give Parliament the opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act on a free vote, with a Government Bill in Government time".

A date for the vote hasn't been confirmed but both pro and anti-hunting groups are already starting to lobby for support.

Chris Pitt, deputy director of campaigns for the League Against Cruel Sport said: "The majority of people in this country are opposed to hunting and hunting with dogs is very cruel and it doesn't belong in this age.

"It should be consigned to the history books.

"The people won't accept a government bringing it back at this point.”

Celebrities have been adding their voices to the debate, with comedian Ricky Gervais writing several tweets calling for the ban to be upheld.

Read more: http://news.sky.com/story/1485688/hunting-vote-could-be-just-months-away

Look, I enjoy a good hunt. A successful hunt, not so much, but a good one, with a good horse is a pure joy.

But guys? The economy is in the toilet, the country is trying to break up, we're bloody broke - priorities here please?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

Re: Hunting Vote Could Be Just 'Months Away'
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »
do people eat the fox meat? What color is it? If they do eat it what does it taste like? 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:48:14 pm »
Nope. People don't eat it. The hounds do if you don't drive them off fast enough though, and it's really not good for them.

It's just meat. Quite red, almost purple in some places. Stinks like hell, too.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 06:10:11 pm »
Nope. People don't eat it. The hounds do if you don't drive them off fast enough though, and it's really not good for them.

It's just meat. Quite red, almost purple in some places. Stinks like hell, too.
Are they a problem   ? Is there  a overpopulation? what do fox eat besides chickens?  Are they full of disease? 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:19:54 pm »
They are classed as pests. They eat rats and mice, which is nice, but also poultry, pet cats and dogs, lambs in season, animal feed (and they piss on the rest and poison it). Their burrows break the legs of larger livestock, cause road and fence damage, and they are primary vectors of at least 4 different diseases (5 if you include rabies, but we exterminated that in the UK) and secondary vectors of bovine TB and foot and mouth disease.

We also have a huge overpopulation of them, such that urban foxes are a common sight. Walked to the shop last night at about 21:30 and saw 6 in the space of a quarter mile. They have no fear of humans and have been known to attack babies if they get access to them - only about two cases a year, but it does happen.

Think of them as our equivalent of coyotes, just with a better PR firm.

As to why hunt them on horses with hounds - damned if I know. It's traditional, and so ingrained in rural culture that most gamekeepers even now won't shoot a fox.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »
They are classed as pests. They eat rats and mice, which is nice, but also poultry, pet cats and dogs, lambs in season, animal feed (and they piss on the rest and poison it). Their burrows break the legs of larger livestock, cause road and fence damage, and they are primary vectors of at least 4 different diseases (5 if you include rabies, but we exterminated that in the UK) and secondary vectors of bovine TB and foot and mouth disease.

We also have a huge overpopulation of them, such that urban foxes are a common sight. Walked to the shop last night at about 21:30 and saw 6 in the space of a quarter mile. They have no fear of humans and have been known to attack babies if they get access to them - only about two cases a year, but it does happen.

Think of them as our equivalent of coyotes, just with a better PR firm.

As to why hunt them on horses with hounds - damned if I know. It's traditional, and so ingrained in rural culture that most gamekeepers even now won't shoot a fox.

thank you for info.then they should be hunted.