Author Topic: Contrary to Popular Outrage, Pope Francis Didn’t Call Mahmoud Abbas ‘an Angel of Peace’  (Read 884 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/05/16/contrary-to-popular-outrage-pope-francis-didnt-call-mahmoud-abbas-an-angel-of-peace/

Contrary to Popular Outrage, Pope Francis Didn’t Call Mahmoud Abbas ‘an Angel of Peace’

by Stephen Kruiser
May 16, 2015 - 6:25 pm

Another day, another misquote.

I hate to get into a public disagreement with a colleague here, but the outrage du jour seems to be based on a translation that may or may not be deliberately wrong. As the BBC and the Associated Press are at the root of it, I’m leaning towards the former.

A BBC reporter in the room claimed that Pope Francis said “you are an angel of peace” while presenting a gift (which is Vatican tradition) to Abbas.

The Vatican reporter for the Italian newspaper La Stampa has it differently:

As is tradition with heads of State or of government, Francis presented presented a gift to the Palestinian leader, commenting: “May the angel of peace destroy the evil spirit of war. I thought of you: may you be an angel of peace.”

continued...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

"May you be an angel of peace" is entirely different from "You ARE an angel of peace."

Gotta wait for the translations and verifications of some of this stuff.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

glad this was posted

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
sinkspur wrote above:
[[ "May you be an angel of peace" is entirely different from "You ARE an angel of peace." ]]

Doesn't seem that "different" to me.

Of course, you could always get Bill Clinton to help out with your logic ("it depends on what the meaning of "is" is....)

Why is the Pope meeting with Abbas anyway?
Is he foolish enough to believe his benefactions could dissaude the Palestinians from their vow to destroy Israel?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
sinkspur wrote above:
[[ "May you be an angel of peace" is entirely different from "You ARE an angel of peace." ]]

Of course, you could always get Bill Clinton to help out with your logic ("it depends on what the meaning of "is" is....)

Is he foolish enough to believe his benefactions could dissaude the Palestinians from their vow to destroy Israel?
One is a command, the other a description of the present . The pope is commanding Abbas to be a messenger of peace, not saying he is one now. The onus is now on Abbas.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

sinkspur wrote above:

The Pope meets with everybody.

And "it doesn't seem different to you" because you don't want it to be different.

Lots of Catholic bashers on these threads.  But, what's new?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Lando Lincoln

The Pope meets with everybody.

And "it doesn't seem different to you" because you don't want it to be different.

Lots of Catholic bashers on these threads.  But, what's new?

I am not one of them, sink.

There is a fundamentally huge difference between those two statements. Sheesh.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Right_in_Virginia

sinkspur wrote above:

Seriously?  "May you be" is a prayer for a future outcome.  "You ARE" is a declarative assessment of the present.

BIG difference.