Author Topic: Pope Francis calls Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas an 'angel of peace.'  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4657837,00.html

Pope Francis met Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas during a private audience early on Saturday, days after the Vatican said it was preparing to sign its first accord with Palestine, drawing Israeli anger. Pope Francis praised Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as an "angel of peace" during the meeting at the Vatican. Francis made the compliment during the traditional exchange of gifts at the end of an official audience in the Apostolic Palace. He presented Abbas with a medallion and explained that it represented the angel of peace "destroying the bad spirit of war."
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline raml

The man is an idiot and I have said this all along. He is no holy man or a follower of Christ.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Considering all the other misreported or mistranslated stories on this pope, I wonder what he really said?

Offline flowers

Considering all the other misreported or mistranslated stories on this pope, I wonder what he really said?
I wonder as well.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
raml wrote above:
[[ The man is an idiot and I have said this all along. He is no holy man or a follower of Christ. ]]

He's almost like "the Manchurian Candidate" of the Papacy.

Just like our own Manchurian Candidate here...

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Mahmoud Abbas would cut the Pope's head off and stick it on a pike in the center of Ramallah. He would do it in one second, given the choice.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
There are none so pathetic as those who refuse to recognize their enemies.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Paladin

One news/opinion site answers your question:

Another day, another misquote.

I hate to get into a public disagreement with a colleague here, but the outrage du jour seems to be based on a translation that may or may not be deliberately wrong. As the BBC and the Associated Press are at the root of it, I’m leaning towards the former.

A BBC reporter in the room claimed that Pope Francis said “you are an angel of peace” while presenting a gift (which is Vatican tradition) to Abbas.

The Vatican reporter for the Italian newspaper La Stampa has it differently:

As is tradition with heads of State or of government, Francis presented presented a gift to the Palestinian leader, commenting: “May the angel of peace destroy the evil spirit of war. I thought of you: may you be an angel of peace.”

Calling someone something and exhorting him to be that something are two entirely different things.

What has befuddled me and several of my conservative friends who are also devout Roman Catholics is the willingness of our conservative friends to take news about this pope at face value from MSM outlets that aren’t trusted for anything else.

I can tell you this: MSM reporting on the Vatican, the Church or whomever is pope at the time almost always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The media has an obsession with Francis because they’ve convinced themselves that he’s the pope who will make the Church become a gay marriage, abortion loving free-for-all. This, even though barely six months into his tenure, Francis excommunicated a priest for supporting women priests and gay marriage.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/05/16/contrary-to-popular-outrage-pope-francis-didnt-call-mahmoud-abbas-an-angel-of-peace/

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Confirmed - thank you Paladin.

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/vaticano/dettaglio-articolo/articolo/palestina-palestine-palestina-vaticano-vatican-vaticano-41113/

«L’angelo della pace distrugge lo spirito cattivo della guerra. Ho pensato a lei: che lei possa essere un angelo della pace»
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Confirmed - thank you Paladin.

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/vaticano/dettaglio-articolo/articolo/palestina-palestine-palestina-vaticano-vatican-vaticano-41113/

«L’angelo della pace distrugge lo spirito cattivo della guerra. Ho pensato a lei: che lei possa essere un angelo della pace»

Thank you both for posting the correct information. 

Offline sinkspur

The man is an idiot and I have said this all along. He is no holy man or a follower of Christ.

As usual, you get it wrong about the Pope. Bitterness is a terrible thing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.