Author Topic: Republicans May Struggle to Keep Senate Majority in 2016  (Read 3267 times)

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: Republicans May Struggle to Keep Senate Majority in 2016
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 02:01:37 pm »
That is indisputable.  I am a product of the public school system.  I was under the impression Coolidge was the President during the stock market crash, but I just looked it up and I am wrong.  I'm pretty sure my history teachers blamed Coolidge.  Thank you again for correcting me.

Don't sell your history teachers too short.  Coolidge was president during the years the conditions for the crash and subsequent depression grew.  Coolidge did cut government spending and subsequently ran surpluses.     When Hoover took over, he increased spending to counter the effects of the growing downturn, but was ineffective.  FDR significantly increased the government response started by Hoover, but could do little to improve the employment of the Nation until WW2.  There were a lot of causes of the depression including a lack of controls over the markets and banks, trade and currency problems, even the weather played a role destroying many previously successful farms.  But Coolidge believed government should stay out of the free-markets and let them self-correct.  In the case of the crash, they didn't.

The concern for many Republicans is how our Party faces today's issues which include a growing wealth gap in the Country, a shrinking labor participation rate, government debt that defies any plan for reduction, taxes, immigration reform, entitlement growth, and our place in the global economy.

Cut taxes, end gay marriage, stop abortions, deport the illegals, and significantly cut government spending may not fly as well next year as some think, even with all of Hillary's problems.

It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 02:07:23 pm »
Don't sell your history teachers too short.  Coolidge was president during the years the conditions for the crash and subsequent depression grew.  Coolidge did cut government spending and subsequently ran surpluses.     When Hoover took over, he increased spending to counter the effects of the growing downturn, but was ineffective.  FDR significantly increased the government response started by Hoover, but could do little to improve the employment of the Nation until WW2.  There were a lot of causes of the depression including a lack of controls over the markets and banks, trade and currency problems, even the weather played a role destroying many previously successful farms.  But Coolidge believed government should stay out of the free-markets and let them self-correct.  In the case of the crash, they didn't.

The concern for many Republicans is how our Party faces today's issues which include a growing wealth gap in the Country, a shrinking labor participation rate, government debt that defies any plan for reduction, taxes, immigration reform, entitlement growth, and our place in the global economy.

Cut taxes, end gay marriage, stop abortions, deport the illegals, and significantly cut government spending may not fly as well next year as some think, even with all of Hillary's problems.

The single greatest cause of the Great Depression was the total failure of the Federal Reserve Banks to do what they had (supposedly) been created to do.

Anyone wishing to know the TRUTH of that period should read this book by my good friend Wayne Jett.

http://www.amazon.com/Fruits-Graft-Great-Depressions-Then-ebook/dp/B005FG6328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431785530&sr=8-1&keywords=Wayne+Jett
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:17:09 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »
The single greatest cause of the Great Depression was the total failure of the Federal Reserve Banks to do what they had (supposedly) been created to do.

Anyone wishing to know the TRUTH of that period should read this book by my good friend Wayne Jett.

http://www.amazon.com/Fruits-Graft-Great-Depressions-Then-ebook/dp/B005FG6328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431785530&sr=8-1&keywords=Wayne+Jett

Lots of books written on the Great Depression...and the Federal Reserve.  Even today the Federal Reserve admits it had a part in the whole mess, by raising interest rates just as the downturn was starting and failing to back up banks.  One reason given is that the local reserve banks did not have to follow the central bank.  A lot of changes were made during FDR's term to correct some of those failings.  But the fed didn't cause the big crash.  That came from a lack of regulation and oversight. 

Today's central banks around the world are in a synergistic relationship with governments.  They support each other.  And lest we forget, there are a lot of people who feel we need no regulations on the markets...or the banks, and should get rid of the Fed.  We saw in the 1930s what can happen without reasonable regulation.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline flowers

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 05:52:24 pm »
Will the senate even be relevant in 2016? 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »
Even Caligula and Nero kept the Senate. It will still exist.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 08:32:46 pm »
Even Caligula and Nero kept the Senate. It will still exist.
Oh yes it will exist......but will it be relevant?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 02:22:19 am »
flowers wonders above, regarding the Senate:
[[ Oh yes it will exist......but will it be relevant? ]]

Is it "relevant" right now?