Author Topic: Pope to Ease Way for Forgiving 'Sin of Abortion' in Holy Year  (Read 4708 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=643212

Newsmax
Pope to Ease Way for Forgiving 'Sin of Abortion' in Holy Year
Thursday, May 7, 2015 12:45 PM

By: Melanie Batley

Pope Francis has decreed that priests may absolve women of the "sin of a procured abortion" during the Holy Year next year, The Washington Post reported.

Ordinarily, only bishops or the Pope himself can absolve people of the sin of abortion, which leads to excommunication from the Catholic Church. The move will empower priests to pardon women for having an abortion, while the Vatican will be sending out "missionaries of mercy" across the world.

"The missionaries of mercy are priests sent out by the Holy Father at the beginning of Lent. The Pope is sending them out [to dioceses and parishes] as a tangible sign of how a priest should be a man of pardon, close to everyone," Archbishop Rino Fisichella, the president of the Pontifical Council for the New Evangelization and the Pope's point man on the organization of Holy Year, according to The Irish Times.

Fisichella said that the absolution would be extended not only to women who had gotten an abortion, but also to doctors and health workers who had performed it.

The move would be significant given that the United Nations has previously condemned the church for excommunicating the mother and doctor of a nine-year-old girl who had an abortion in Brazil in 2009 after she was raped by her stepfather and became pregnant with twins, the Daily Mail reported.

Some have been quick to point out that the Pope's decision to pardon abortion during the Holy Year does not change the church's position on abortion and that there's a risk of it causing confusion.

"Regardless of this decision by the Pope, the church will continue to consider abortion a sin. I hope it does not cause confusion," said Italian Cardinal Velasio De Paolis, according to the Times.

The Pope has been a vocal opponent of abortion calling it "a sin against God," but the year of mercy is intended to reunite estranged Catholics with the church, the Post said.

In a papal bull issued last month, the pope discussed the thinking behind the Jubilee of Mercy, saying the church must be "an oasis of mercy" and "The Church's very credibility is seen in how she shows merciful and compassionate love," the Post said.

"During Lent of this Holy Year, I intend to send out 'Missionaries of Mercy,'" he said. "They will be a sign of the Church's maternal solicitude for the People of God, enabling them to enter the profound richness of this mystery so fundamental to the faith.

"There will be priests to whom I will grant the authority to pardon even those sins reserved to the Holy See, so that the breadth of their mandate as confessors will be even clearer. They will be, above all, living signs of the Father's readiness to welcome those in search of his pardon."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Pope to Ease Way for Forgiving 'Sin of Abortion' in Holy Year
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 05:45:50 pm »
WOW...never thought I would see this..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:34 pm »
You ask God's forgiveness not a stand in. Go to the real forgiver. The pope is a joke. I was raised Catholic so don't say I have no knowledge of this religion because I do have knowledge and a bible to check this religions accuracy. I can say that this is not the one true church not even close and this pope is so not a Christian.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:12:47 pm »
Ever since I found out the new AG is for partial birth abortion I have been thinking the left will get its way an make it legal.  Now I read this.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »
He still believes abortion is wrong. He seems to believe that all sins can be forgiven by God. Do the posters here disagree with that?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:24:46 pm »
I can personally forgive almost all sins except murder.  I'll leave that up to God when the murderer finally meets Him face to face.
The Pope can say whatever he wants.  It means very little to me.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 06:32:12 pm »
"The pope is a joke."

Not in my Roman Catholic neighborhood and family.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:34 pm »
He still believes abortion is wrong. He seems to believe that all sins can be forgiven by God. Do the posters here disagree with that?

I disagree with His Holiness on this...nuff said.
Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 06:42:49 pm »
Good.

Forgiving major sins is always done in Holy Year, though you normally have to go to Rome to get it. God has final say, of course, but why bar someone from the Church for a sin they regret?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 06:43:33 pm »
Please...I did not post this article for people to disparage the Pope or Catholicism.....tread carefully.
Support the USO

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »
Not meaning to get in any argument with my Catholic friends here, but as a non-Catholic, I find it very foreign that priest, a bishop or even the Pope himself can absolve sin.  Any sin.  The blood of my Lord Jesus and his unyielding Grace is sufficient  to forgive All Sin, even murder, even abortion, even blasphemy, and that is the only one I seek forgiveness from,  except for those I may have wronged by my sin. At His death on the Cross, the curtain to the Holy of Holy’s was torn signifying we do not have to seek a High Priest  any more to have fellowship with Him, or to ask for forgiveness.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 06:58:36 pm »
Way I see it is God's grace is more than sufficient for your soul.

Society is a different kettle of fish, and penitance and forgiveness followed by returning to taking the Sacrament and attending Mass is a public sign you are forgiven. Important back in the day when most people never went more than 5 miles from their village.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 07:02:56 pm »
Not meaning to get in any argument with my Catholic friends here, but as a non-Catholic, I find it very foreign that priest, a bishop or even the Pope himself can absolve sin.  Any sin.  The blood of my Lord Jesus and his unyielding Grace is sufficient  to forgive All Sin, even murder, even abortion, even blasphemy, and that is the only one I seek forgiveness from,  except for those I may have wronged by my sin. At His death on the Cross, the curtain to the Holy of Holy’s was torn signifying we do not have to seek a High Priest  any more to have fellowship with Him, or to ask for forgiveness.

Hey I don't make the rules, I just follow them, and Him, as best I can – given my human fallibility.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:24:03 pm by aligncare »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 07:17:34 pm »
Does God forgive all who truly repents...even the most heinous amongst us....Like abortion Dr Gosnell who murdered hundreds, thousands of babies....can God forgive such a monster or will he too be so appalled he would condemn him to Hell?

btw..I am breaking one of my own rules...discussing religion..lol :smokin:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:38:15 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 07:23:19 pm »
Myst - I honestly don't know.

I can't imagine it, but I can't imagine infinite knowledge either. I just follow the rules (mostly), trust in His Grace, and remember the wise words of a friend of mine: "God gave you everything and owes you nothing. It's on you to be worthy of His gifts."

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 07:31:31 pm »
Does God forgive all who truly repents...even the most heinous amongst us....Like abortion Dr Gosnell who murdered hundreds, thousands of babies....can God forgive such a monster or will he too me so appalled he would condemn him to Hell?

Of course God forgives all who truly repent... even the most heinous among us.

Ezekiel 18:23 - "Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?"

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 07:49:05 pm »
Myst - I honestly don't know.

I can't imagine it, but I can't imagine infinite knowledge either.

Infinite perspective too.  ^-^
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:49:27 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »
WOW...never thought I would see this..

It's what happens when they make a Jesuit the Pope.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 08:20:32 pm »
It's what happens when they make a Jesuit the Pope.

I was taught by some Jesuits in High School.

We had a young Jesuit Priest who taught religion..we used to try and stump him..similar to this abortion question we once asked if he would grant absolution to a Nazi war criminal who was responsible for thousands of deaths..and without hesitation he replied that he would if he thought the person was sincere but only God knows what is in a person's heart and only he can grant final absolution.

But it never answered my one question that I have had all my life..is there one thing that even God can't forgive?
Support the USO

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 08:23:06 pm »
But it never answered my one question that I have had all my life..is there one thing that even God can't forgive?

Holding grudges seems unbecoming of a supreme being.
-Socrates

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 08:34:48 pm »

I wouldn't call it holding a grudge...more of a punishment or condemnation....
Support the USO

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 08:41:54 pm »

btw..I am breaking one of my own rules...discussing religion..lol :smokin:

Shame...shame!  Need I remind you of the "Wide-Awakes" punishment for owners... :silly:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »
Shame...shame!  Need I remind you of the "Wide-Awakes" punishment for owners... :silly:

Those were the days..... :nometalk:

...paging Luis...paging Luis... :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:52:54 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 10:07:21 pm »

Not in the Old Testament.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 10:50:44 pm »
Those were the days..... :nometalk:

...paging Luis...paging Luis... :whistle:

Heh, heh.  Someone should write a book.  I'd guess few here today have a clue what we're even talking about...hopefully!   :whistle:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!