Author Topic: Doubts raised about Islamic State’s claim in Texas attack  (Read 1918 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Jihadist group might not be behind shooting in which two alleged attackers killed by police, but may have inspired it
By JULIE WATSON and Ryan van Velzer May 6, 2015, 2:45 am

PHOENIX (AP) — The Islamic State group claimed responsibility Tuesday for the assault on a Texas cartoon contest that featured images of the Prophet Muhammad, but counterterrorism experts said IS has a history of asserting involvement in attacks in which it had no operational role.

That suggests the two gunmen could have carried out their own lone wolf-style strike before they were shot and killed at the scene of Sunday’s shooting in the Dallas suburb of Garland.

Federal officials identified the pair as Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi, both Americans who lived in Phoenix. Federal authorities had been scrutinizing Simpson’s social media presence recently but had no indication he was plotting an attack, said one federal official familiar with the investigation.

Rep. Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said a Twitter account linked to Simpson included images of Anwar Awlaki, a radical cleric killed in a CIA drone strike in Yemen.

Among the hashtags used by the account was “#texasattack.” And one of the final tweets was: “May Allah accept us as mujahideen,” or holy warriors.

Read more: http://www.timesofisrael.com/doubts-raised-about-islamic-states-claim-in-texas-attack/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

ISIS POSTS WARNING: “We Have 71 Trained Soldiers in 15 States” – NAMES 5 TARGETS

Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 8:59 PM

ISIS released a new online threat today on JustPasteIt.

The terrorist group says they will murder Pamela Geller and kill anyone who shields her.

The terrorists also say they have 71 fighters in 15 different states and they 23 have signed up already for missions like the failed Sunday attack in Garland, Texas.

Via Sooper Mexican:

Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem

“The New Era”

To our brothers and sisters fighting for the Sake of Allah, we make dua for you and ask Allah to guide your bullets, terrify your enemies, and establish you in the Land. As our noble brother in the Phillipines said in his bayah, “This is the Golden Era, everyone who believes… is running for Shaheed”.

The attack by the Islamic State in America is only the beginning of our efforts to establish a wiliyah in the heart of our enemy. Our aim was the khanzeer Pamela Geller and to show her that we don’t care what land she hides in or what sky shields her; we will send all our Lions to achieve her slaughter. This will heal the hearts of our brothers and disperse the ones behind her. To those who protect her: this will be your only warning of housing this woman and her circus show. Everyone who houses her events, gives her a platform to spill her filth are legitimate targets. We have been watching closely who was present at this event and the shooter of our brothers. We knew that the target was protected. Our intention was to show how easy we give our lives for the Sake of Allah.

We have 71 trained soldiers in 15 different states ready at our word to attack any target we desire. Out of the 71 trained soldiers 23 have signed up for missions like Sunday, We are increasing in number bithnillah. Of the 15 states, 5 we will name… Virginia, Maryland, Illinois, California, and Michigan. The disbelievers who shot our brothers think that you killed someone untrained, nay, they gave you their bodies in plain view because we were watching.

The next six months will be interesting, To our Amir Al Mu’mineen make dua for us and continue your reign, May Allah enoble your face.

May Allah send His peace and blessings upon our Prophet Muhummad and all those who follow until the last Day.

Abu Ibrahim Al Ameriki

The threat was posted by Abu Al Ameriki.

Read more: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/05/isis-posts-warning-we-have-71-trained-soldiers-in-15-states-names-5-targets/#ixzz3ZLQf6yIC

rangerrebew

Re: Doubts raised about Islamic State’s claim in Texas attack
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:43:30 am »
- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Washington Post Places Blame For Garland Shooting On The Intended Victims

Posted By Alex Griswold On 6:50 PM 05/05/2015 In | No Comments

A Washington Post article written in the wake of the terrorist attack in Garland, Texas openly wonders why “Event organizer offers no apology after thwarted attack in Texas,” saying organizer Pamela Geller “knew what she was doing” by drawing Mohammad. (RELATED: Washington Post Wonders If Ted Cruz Is Eligible To Be President)

“Pamela Geller, the woman behind the Texas cartoon contest attacked by two gunmen late Sunday, knew what she was doing when she staged the controversial event featuring irreverent depictions of the prophet Muhammad in Garland,” writes Washington Post social change reporter Sandhya Somashekhar.

The article labels Geller’s anti-Islam organization a “hate group,” and Geller herself a “provocateur” who uses “inflammatory” rhetoric. “If the contest was intended as bait,” Somashekhar writes, “it worked.”

“The shooting has been condemned by Muslim leaders, and Geller, too, has come under fire for staging an event many viewed as purposely provocative,” Somashekhar continues. At another point, the social change reporter says that “Geller appeared almost gleeful” after the attack on Twitter, but doesn’t cite any of the supposedly “gleeful” tweets.

Geller penned an article in response, satirically entitled “JFK offers no apology after Lee Harvey Oswald shoots him in the head,” and taking the Post to task. “I offer no apology?” she wrote. “What apology exactly do I owe for almost being murdered?” (RELATED: A Dozen Parisians Dead: RADICAL MUSLIMS Hit Hardest, Says New York Times)

Follow Alex Griswold on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/05/washington-post-places-blame-for-garland-shooting-on-the-intended-victims/

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:33:30 pm »
WSJ falsely claims AFDI/Jihad Watch Muhammad cartoon contest winner Bosch Fawstin goes into hiding

May 6, 2015 7:09 am By Robert Spencer 4 Comments

UPDATE: Bosch Fawstin wrote this on Twitter: “Despite a Dishonest Wall Street Journal headline story saying I’ve gone into hiding b/c I’ve gotten death threats, I’ve Not gone into hiding”

What I wrote in the original post below about the craven capitulation of the media is only underscored by this.

The headline above has been adjusted. Here is the original post:

—–

SpencerFawstinWildersGellerHere again, the media will say, Welll…he had it coming…he shouldn’t have provoked them…he should have stuck to some respectable art form like sticking a crucifix in a jar of urine…

What the opinionmakers on both the Left and the Right refuse to realize is that it will be something else next time. Once the dastardly Muhammad cartoonists are all safely murdered, perhaps Laura Ingraham and Bill O’Reilly and Greta van Susteren and Martha MacCallum the entire Left media think that the jihadis will be appeased, and will go away quietly, and there will be peace. They will be rudely surprised. Once the Muhammad cartoonists are all safely dead or drawing “Islam is peace” floral bouquets, the jihadis will make new demands. And then the Ingrahams and O’Reillys and van Susterens and MacCallums will jump to obey again.

“Muhammad Cartoon Contest Winner Retreats Into Hiding,” By Nathan Koppel, Wall Street Journal, May 5, 2015 (thanks to Pamela Geller):

As authorities continue to investigate an attempted attack on a contest to draw the Prophet Muhammad in Texas on Sunday, the winner of the event has retreated into hiding, saying he faces persistent death threats.

Bosch Fawstin netted $12,500 for winning the contest’s grand prize as well as the “People’s Choice Award” for his drawing depicting Muhammad wielding a sword and saying, “you can’t draw me!”

In an interview on Tuesday, the cartoonist was vague about his whereabouts, saying only that he lives somewhere in the U.S.

muhammed-sword-winner“I don’t want to say where,” Mr. Fawstin said, also declining to say his age. “There are Muslims out there who want to kill me.”

Mr. Fawstin said he was raised by Albanian Muslim parents in the Bronx but eventually renounced his faith. He said the 9/11 terrorist attacks motivated him to use his art to denounce Islamic extremism.

He has drawn a comic book called “Pigman,” featuring a hero who battles “pigotry” and his arch nemesis, SuperJihad. He said he has also drawn several dozen cartoon renderings of the Islamic prophet.

“I do it because we have been told we can’t,” he said. “I’m not just provoking people for the hell of it.…Provocation is freedom of speech—it’s not separate from it.”

The Muhammad art competition in Garland, Texas, was hosted by the American Freedom Defense Initiative. Some 200 people attended the event according to a participant.

Pamela Geller, the group’s president, said the competition was a way to promote free speech and was a response to a January attack on the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo by Islamic extremists that killed 12 people, including some of the publication’s most famous cartoonists. Critics of the group claim it promotes extreme, anti-Islamic views.

Armed with assault rifles and wearing protective body gear, two men opened fire outside the community center in Garland but were quickly gunned down by law enforcement.

Days before the shooting, the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation sent a joint bulletin to law-enforcement agencies, warning that while authorities didn’t know of any specific threats tied to the contest, they were concerned that it could “prompt violent extremist reaction”.

The bulletin said authorities were especially concerned about acts targeting contest participants, who may not understand the degree to which they could be in danger, in the days and weeks following the event.

Mr. Fawstin said he will likely have to remain incognito for the foreseeable future. “I’ve been called a hermit since a kid,” he said. “I’m used to being on my own.”

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/05/afdijihad-watch-muhammad-cartoon-contest-winner-bosch-fawstin-goes-into-hiding
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:34:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/isis-appears-threaten-pamela-geller-claims-militants-article-1.2211913

ISIS appears to threaten blogger Pamela Geller in message boasting of ‘71 trained soldiers in 15 different states’
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Including our reserves we have over 2 million soldiers and the most technologically advanced military on the planet; bring it on.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 04:34:36 pm »
In an interview with the Longview News Journal, Saleem Shahbaz, imam for the Islamic Center of Longview (TX) indicated he expected violence due to the "Draw Mohammed" event and justified the actions saying the response was 'predictable'. Adding even more fuel to the fire, Shahbaz also is quoted as saying "This is a manufactured crisis," he said. "We're not talking about circumstances beyond our control, this is a case of deliberate provocation. And to what end? What's been gained, and at what cost?"

Longview imam criticizes organizers of Garland event that led to shooting deaths

As authorities in Garland continued to seek answers behind two men who opened fire on an unarmed security officer Sunday night outside a provocative contest for cartoon depictions of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, a Longview religious leader said "we're asking the wrong questions."

Saleem Shahbaz, imam for the Islamic Center of Longview, said he first heard about the contest a few months back, and feared that precisely this type of incident might occur.....

http://www.news-journal.com/news/2015/may/04/longview-imam-criticizes-organizers-of-garland-eve/

Needless to say, comments on the Longview News-Journal website and Facebook page have blown up against the Imam.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »
This is like blaming the woman for her partner's abusive behavior.

The real question we should be asking is why freedom of speech scares certain elements of Islam?

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:58:25 pm »
I recommend commenting on the LNJ Facebook article. They publish comments posted on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/newsjournal/posts/10153234012257141

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 06:31:19 pm »
Gen. Boykin on Muslim Cartoon Attackers: We Must ‘Stand Up Against This Evil in America’

By Michael W. Chapman | May 6, 2015 | 1:22 PM EDT

Commenting on the two men who were killed while trying to shoot up a “Draw Muhammed” contest on Sunday in Texas and the woman who organized the contest, activist Pam Geller, Lt. Gen. William Boykin (ret.) said there is a “double standard” when it comes to Islam and that U.S. leaders need to “stand up against this evil in America” that uses violence to threaten the First Amendment.

“I wish that as a nation there were more and more of our leaders that had the same kind of courage that this woman [Pam Geller] has,” said Lt. Gen. Boykin (ret.), who is the executive vice president of the Family Research Council (FRC).  “he’s a very brave woman and I think that what she did was upholding and standing for our First Amendment rights. And I don’t think she went too far at all.”

Boykin made his remarks on the May 5 edition of Fox & Friends.  Geller, who is a political activist, strong critic of radical Islam, and a co-founder of the group American Freedom Defense Initiative, organized the “Draw Muhammed” cartoon contest in Garland, Texas.

At that May 3 event, two men arrived and shot a security guard, wounding him.  Police, at the scene, quickly returned fire and killed the two attackers. Both shooters were Muslim radicals and the Islamic State has praised them as “soldiers of the caliphate.”

On Fox & Friends, one of the hosts reported that Geller apparently spent $50,000 for security at the cartoon event and asked Lt. Gen. Boykin, “Does this speak volumes about the direction of our country when it comes to free speech? Are people so scared to talk publicly about their views because they’re worried about offending other people?”

Boykin said, “There’s no question about it. I think Pam said it, and I saw some of her interviews yesterday and I think she said it very eloquently and very articulately. When a cartoon stimulates people to kill you, when they believe they’re justified in doing so because of their, quote, religion, we’re upside down.”

The general continued, “If we don’t stand up to that kind of evil, if we don’t keep going back to the foundations of this nation and recognize what the First Amendment was designed to do – it was not designed to protect us from things that we would agree with, that we would accept.  It was designed to protect us, our ability to be able to speak about things that will be controversial and provocative.”

“I saw people on this network last week stomping on an American flag,” said Boykin. “I even saw a female veteran take that flag and try to protect it. I was offended by that, as were millions of Americans. But we have no right, no authority to stand with weapons in our hands to say that you can’t do that.”

“There is such a double standard here when it comes to Islam,” said Lt. Gen. Boykin,  “and I think it’s time for more of our leadership to take the same posture and the same position that Pam Geller has taken and stand up against this evil in America.”

Later, in a May 5 Facebook post, Boykin further said of the issue, "We must recognize that when the enemy cannot tolerate a simple cartoon and must act out violently, we are dealing with the upper echelon of radicalization, and a very real threat to our liberties."

"This threat is already taking hold when pundits and politicians spend an entire news cycle debating whether or not free speech should be protected in certain situations and whether or not Pamela Geller and those at her event should have been allowed to say and do what they did," said Boykin on Facebook. 

"What’s worse, those claiming she pushed too far or had it coming are akin to those saying a woman who was raped 'had it coming' because of how she was dressed," he said.  "It’s absurd and insulting to the victims who were expressing their Constitutional right to free speech."

Lt. Gen. William G. “Jerry” Boykin is a former chief of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command, an original member of Delta Force, and he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. Boykin also is an ordained minister. He is married and has five children.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/gen-boykin-muslim-cartoon-attackers-we-must-stand-against-evil-america
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:32:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline NavyCanDo

As Dick Cheney once said,   “The hard thing about stopping  terrorism, is that they only have to be right once. and we have to be right 100 percent of the time.”

The terrorist got it right in Texas. They caught Homeland Security totally off guard. If not for the quick actions and great shooting by one alert police officer, we would be morning the deaths of scores of people this week - and we would be living once again in fear, wondering when the next attack will come.
You would think HLS would have been aware of this art exhibit, with it would have been the subject of daily security briefings since the application for the venue was approved. That awareness should have gone all the way up to the Whitehouse morning briefs. This should have gone down as another bust of homegrown terrorist in the planning stages. The media should be focusing on how this slipped HLS attention - instead we are talking about the decision of the freedom of speech group, be it right or wrong.       
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
we would be living once again in fear, wondering when the next attack will come.

We haven't stopped doing that since 9/11.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
As Dick Cheney once said,   “The hard thing about stopping  terrorism, is that they only have to be right once. and we have to be right 100 percent of the time.”

The terrorist got it right in Texas. They caught Homeland Security totally off guard. If not for the quick actions and great shooting by one alert police officer, we would be morning the deaths of scores of people this week - and we would be living once again in fear, wondering when the next attack will come.
You would think HLS would have been aware of this art exhibit, with it would have been the subject of daily security briefings since the application for the venue was approved. That awareness should have gone all the way up to the Whitehouse morning briefs. This should have gone down as another bust of homegrown terrorist in the planning stages. The media should be focusing on how this slipped HLS attention - instead we are talking about the decision of the freedom of speech group, be it right or wrong.     
And think. We already had clear evidence that one of them was up to no good, yet our system let him roam freely and to be able to attempt mass murder.

How smart is it to ever let these animals be set free?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

You would think HLS would have been aware of this art exhibit

Maybe they did and the knowledge went "...all the way up to the Whitehouse morning briefs." The Obama administration then took the appropriate action when it came to a group of outspoken anti-Islamists.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline mountaineer

Homeland Security is not our first line of defense. I wouldn't include them in any line of defense, come to think of it.
Ordinary law-abiding citizens like us (armed, I hope) are the first line, then local LEOs.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:06 am »
It appears Pam Geller follows us as she quoted us word for word in my commentary regarding the LNJ article above.
http://www.pamelageller.com/2015/05/hannity-radio-pamela-geller-debates-imam-saleem-shahbaz.html/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:22:40 am by AbaraXas »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 01:42:30 am »
It appears Pam Geller follows us as she quoted us word for word in my commentary regarding the LNJ article above.
http://www.pamelageller.com/2015/05/hannity-radio-pamela-geller-debates-imam-saleem-shahbaz.html/

That's pretty cool!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 01:56:24 am »
I recommend commenting on the LNJ Facebook article. They publish comments posted on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/newsjournal/posts/10153234012257141

I just posted there..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”