Author Topic: Miliband: I'd pass on PM job rather than do deal with Scots nationalists  (Read 290 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
(Reuters) - British Labour Party leader Ed Miliband said on Thursday he'd rather stay in opposition than do a deal with Scottish nationalists after a close national election next week in which no party is expected to win a majority.

Opinion polls show the pro-independence Scottish National Party (SNP) is on track to wipe out Labour in Scotland making it harder for the left-wing party to secure an overall majority in the 650-seat Westminster Parliament.

The SNP has offered to support a minority Labour government, a prospect that Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservatives have described as a nightmare that would see Scots nationalists wielding influence in a country they want to break up.

"Let me be plain, we are not going to do a deal with the Scottish National Party," Miliband told an audience on BBC TV.

"If it meant we weren’t going to be in government, not doing a coalition, not doing a deal, then so be it. I am not going to have a Labour government if it means deals or coalitions with the Scottish National Party."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/30/uk-britain-election-scotland-miliband-idUKKBN0NL2KN20150430

I'll give you 2:1 that this changes the instant the election is over. If it sticks, Milibland will be no longer leader of the Labour party in 10 days.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink