Author Topic: CNN anchor apologizes after stating vets/violence link  (Read 362 times)

rangerrebew

CNN anchor apologizes after stating vets/violence link
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:55:34 pm »
CNN anchor apologizes after stating vets/violence link

By Leo Shane III, Staff writer 12:25 p.m. EDT April 29, 2015

A CNN anchor offered an emotional apology to veterans on Wednesday after suggesting earlier that their post-war transition problems may play a role in violent events like the riots in Baltimore this week.

Brooke Baldwin, who hosts the network's midday news program, made the comments Tuesday while interviewing Rep. Elijah Cummings, D- Md., about the unrest in the city. She said many young people lack an "emotional investment" in their neighborhoods, adding that veterans are "coming back from war, they don't know the communities, and they're ready to do battle."

The remarks immediately caused an uproar from veterans and conservative critics.

Baldwin apologized via Twitter within hours and publicly on the air the next morning.

"I absolutely misspoke, I inartfully chose my words 100 percent," she said. "I wholeheartedly retract what I said … I have the utmost respect for our men and women in uniform."

That response calmed some critics, who noted her past work covering veterans issues.

But some groups still aren't happy with the anchor.

Military advocates have long pushed back against the narrative of "angry veterans" returning from war and inciting violence at home. Veterans Affairs Department researchers have found little evidence to back up the claim of increased criminal activity among post-war veterans, beyond self-harming behavior such as substance abuse.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/04/29/cnn-anchor-apology-vets/26571567/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:56:09 pm by rangerrebew »