Author Topic: Navy Honors Military Working Dog  (Read 576 times)

rangerrebew

Navy Honors Military Working Dog
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »
Navy Honors Military Working Dog

The Day | Apr 28, 2015 | by Greg Smith

GROTON -- Naval personnel, local and state police on Monday gathered to mourn the passing of Jolly, a military working dog, or "four-legged sailor" whose active duty missions in the U.S. Navy included deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

In a ceremony befitting the passing of any active member of the military, Jolly's former handlers honored the Dutch shepherd and Labrador mix by posthumously awarding him a certificate of meritorious service. Monday's ceremony was held at the Submarine Force Library and Museum and more than a few in attendance were brought to tears.

Captain Carl Lahti, commanding officer at the submarine base, said not only do military working dogs face combat missions and save lives, they do it for love and affection.

"Is there any nobler cause?" Lahti asked.

Navy Master-At-Arms Petty Officer 2nd Class Trevor Houseknecht, one of Jolly's former handlers, said "there is not one person who met Jolly that did not love everything about him."

Houseknecht, the master of ceremonies, spoke with an empty collar and lease attached to an M-16 in front of his lectern.

"We loved to watch him work because you knew he was born to be a military working dog and was the best at it," he said. "Jolly was always there for you whether you were his assigned handler or not."

Jolly, a patrol dog trained in explosives detection, had worked at the U.S. Naval Submarine Base's security department since 2009. Along with deployments overseas, Jolly worked on more than 100 special Secret Service details for visiting VIPs such as the president and vice president.

Related Video

Before he died of inoperable cancer last month at the age of 7, Jolly conducted 1,386 inspections and more than 6,840 hours of detection and patrol.

"The loss of a service member is tough but when it comes to the one closest to you, your friend, your partner, the one you depend on, that loss is unspeakable," wrote Navy Master-At-Arms Petty Officer 2nd Class Steven Fox.

Fox is now stationed in Italy but was Jolly's last handler and would have adopted Jolly had he not died before his retirement. Fox also served with Jolly in Afghanistan.

In Fox's letter, read during the ceremony, he said Jolly had inspired him to reenlist in the Navy.

"I wanted to be with my partner for just a little while longer," Fox wrote. "I didn't want to stop giving him my love and belly rubs. He could always put a smile on my face and anyone around by being his goofy self."

Department of Defense Police Officer Denille Dresser served as Jolly's handler during a deployment to Iraq, in support of the U.S. Army.

"He had a great nose for explosive detection. I think he was born to do it," she said.

Three state police K-9 teams, trained in arson and explosives detection, lay at the feet of their handlers with their heads resting on the floor during a moment of silence and video photo montage that included a Jolly's last ride to the veterinarian.

"I don't know if animals have spirits that survive death, or whether they go to heaven, but I feel that J-bone had a spirit of love and devotion and I hope that's what lives on... in my heart and anywhere else it might still exist," Fox wrote.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/04/28/navy-honors-military-working-dog.html?comp=7000023468025&rank=3
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:17:19 pm by rangerrebew »