Author Topic: John Boehner may hold House vote to subpoena Hillary Clinton’s email server  (Read 868 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/23/john-boehner-may-hold-house-vote-to-subpoena-hilla/print/

John Boehner may hold House vote to subpoena Hillary Clinton’s email server
By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Thursday, April 23, 2015

House Speaker John A. Boehner said Thursday that the full House may have to vote to subpoena former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's email server, as the chairman of the Benghazi investigative committee officially called on her to testify twice to his panel.

The invitation by Rep. Trey Gowdy, South Carolina Republican and chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi, sets up a test for Mrs. Clinton, the former first lady and newly announced Democratic presidential candidate, whose attorney has said she wants to appear before the committee only once, in public.

"With her cooperation and that of the State Department and administration, Secretary Clinton could be done with the Benghazi Committee before the Fourth of July," Mr. Gowdy said. "We appreciate Secretary Clinton's willingness to cooperate so the committee can move as expeditiously as possible to conclude the investigation."

Mr. Gowdy has asked Mrs. Clinton to appear once for a private transcribed interview on her email practices, and then to come before the committee for an open hearing on the events of Sept. 11, 2012, when the diplomatic post in Benghazi came under attack by terrorists, leaving four Americans dead.

The email use and the Benghazi events have become intertwined after Mrs. Clinton acknowledged that she refused a department-issued account and instead set up her own server and account to conduct her official business, after Mr. Gowdy demanded to see her emails concerning the attack.

That sent the Obama administration scrambling, and Mrs. Clinton was asked belatedly to comply with the law and turn over her communications. Nearly two years after she left office, she turned over about 30,000 emails she deemed government business, announced she had deleted another 32,000 that were private, and then wiped her server clean.

Mr. Gowdy asked Mrs. Clinton to turn over the server to a neutral third party, but she declined. Mr. Gowdy said his committee probably lacks the ability to subpoena the server, but the whole House could — and Mr. Boehner hinted that "all options are on the table."

"If we need to do that, we may have to," he said in an interview on Bloomberg Television. "It's important for the American people to know the truth about what happened in Benghazi, and it's important to know what was going on [at] the State Department before, during and after the events that occurred in Libya."

Mr. Boehner said Mrs. Clinton "violated the law" in setting up a private email system to conduct official business and that it "goes against every transparency issue that the president likes to tout."

"At some point, they just can't ignore the fact that there are a lot of public documents on [the] server that the American people have a right to see," Mr. Boehner said, calling on Mrs. Clinton to turn over the server to the State Department's inspector general.

The Benghazi committee this week signaled that its inquiry could stretch into next year, right in the heart of the presidential campaign. The committee said it has had trouble getting cooperation from the administration.

Mrs. Clinton's attorney David E. Kendall has said she answered questions about her email use in a public press conference last month and that she is willing and even eager to appear for a single public hearing to handle any questions the committee wants to pose.

Mrs. Clinton's camp didn't respond to questions Thursday about Mr. Gowdy's official invitation, but Democrats on the committee said it was Republicans who were holding up the process.

"The Republicans' multiyear search for evidence to back up their Benghazi conspiracy theories has turned up nothing," said Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, Maryland Democrat and ranking member on the committee.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ John Boehner may hold House vote to subpoena Hillary Clinton’s email server ]]

Sumthin' tells me that the erstwhile email server has been reduced to tiny pieces, scattered in bits and pieces between Long Island Sound, the Hudson River, and who-knows-where else.

Good luck subpoena'in' that!

Offline aligncare

She destroyed the server quite some time ago. Right after she turned over copies of state dept emails — only the relevant ones, of course.

Alas, at this point the drives are ground to dust and blowin' in the wind. Together now...

"the answer is blowin' in the wind."

Ah! I love a good sing along.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
She destroyed the server quite some time ago. Right after she turned over copies of state dept emails — only the relevant ones, of course.

Alas, at this point the drives are ground to dust and blowin' in the wind. Together now...

"the answer is blowin' in the wind."

Ah! I love a good sing along.

The NSA has all the emails.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The NSA has all the emails.
But I expect the very laws which enabled them to collect them, assuming you are correct and they exist there, probably preclude them from use or release for anything, but national security reasons.

However some form of backups might exist somewhere, together with the recipients of the emails.

Let's say the exist in some form. What means is reasonable to pursue them? To claim some crime or misdeed? In what forum? Are Republicans going to press a legal case? Is that a winnable exercise?
Who will take the risk of pursuing it?

Whoever does pursue it will need specific allegations, not merely a fishing expedition.

Obviously she is not fit to be President, ethically, morally, etc. But she has huge political clout.

But can she weather 18 months of scandal, while running for President? Does her party take that risk? And can the Republicans risk it won't backfire?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
But I expect the very laws which enabled them to collect them, assuming you are correct and they exist there, probably preclude them from use or release for anything, but national security reasons.

However some form of backups might exist somewhere, together with the recipients of the emails.

Let's say the exist in some form. What means is reasonable to pursue them? To claim some crime or misdeed? In what forum? Are Republicans going to press a legal case? Is that a winnable exercise?
Who will take the risk of pursuing it?

Whoever does pursue it will need specific allegations, not merely a fishing expedition.

Obviously she is not fit to be President, ethically, morally, etc. But she has huge political clout.

But can she weather 18 months of scandal, while running for President? Does her party take that risk? And can the Republicans risk it won't backfire?

Politically, that server and those emails have more value unfound.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Politically, that server and those emails have more value unfound.
I presume you mean more value politically to the GOP?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I presume you mean more value politically to the GOP?

Correct.