Author Topic: First Poll Shows Rubio Surge After Announcement, Now Beating Bush in Florida  (Read 3703 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/04/17/first-poll-shows-rubio-surge-after-announcement-now-beating-bush-in-florida/

by Sarah Rumpf17 Apr 20150

AUSTIN, Texas — Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) is surely smiling this morning after the first poll in Florida since he announced he is running for president showed that he had received a substantial bump in his numbers. Rubio’s surge was so substantial, in fact, that he is now one point ahead of former Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL), as opposed to a 12-point deficit from a poll at the beginning of the month.

The poll in question was conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research from Tuesday to Thursday, after Rubio’s announcement Monday evening in Miami. Among 400 registered Republican Florida voters, Rubio won 31 percent of the votes, just past Bush’s 30 percent, as reported by Politico’s Marc Caputo.

Seventeen percent were undecided.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), who got into the race officially last month, received 8 percent, and Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who announced a week before Rubio, received 7 percent. Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) earned 2 percent, and the remainder of responses went to “other.” (Mason-Dixon did not poll the other potential candidates by name.) The poll’s margin of error was five percent.

The most recent Florida poll was conducted from March 17 to March 28 by Quinnipiac University of 1,087 Florida voters, including 428 registered Republicans. The poll overall had a margin of error of +/- 3 percent, and +/- 4.7 percent among the Republican sample. In this poll, Bush received 24 percent of the Republican vote, followed by Walker at 15 percent and Rubio at 12 percent.

Another slightly earlier Florida poll from Public Policy Polling (PPP), conducted from March 19 to March 22, had similar results: Bush led with 25 percent, then Walker at 17 percent, Rubio at 15 percent, neurosurgeon Ben Carson at 12 percent, former Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR) at 7 percent, Cruz at 6 percent, Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) at 4 percent, Paul at 4 percent, and former Governor Rick Perry (R-TX) at 3 percent. As Breitbart News reported, Bush dropped 5 percent in this poll, and Rubio gained 1 percent since a similar PPP poll last June.

“I think Rubio’s rollout was pretty good and he probably got a bump out of it,” Mason-Dixon’s pollster J. Bradford Coker told Politico. “A good rollout is like a primary win: you get about three days of good media coverage and a little lift in the polls.”

“Being in the race matters,” Republican strategist Rick Wilson, who is advising Rubio, tweeted about the poll.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

No surprise.  Jeb will not be able to take Florida.  He was a crappy governor, he's pro-amnesty and his Common Core is about as popular as a thorn in your side.  In fact Jeb is a thorn in the GOP's side.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

I've said it before, I'm glad Rubio's not a democrat. This guy's got a wealth of personal appeal and in the age of American Idol, that's all one needs to land him in the White House.

Offline libertybele

I've said it before, I'm glad Rubio's not a democrat. This guy's got a wealth of personal appeal and in the age of American Idol, that's all one needs to land him in the White House.

Ahhh, but in many ways he IS a Democrat.  But I hear ya.  A lot of LIV and stupid people vote for a candidate based on their "appeal" rather than on their qualifications.  Just take a look at Barry.  His appeal was that he was young, black and could read from a teleprompter.  Did I mention also that he is an excellent liar?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

Ahhh, but in many ways he IS a Democrat.  But I hear ya.  A lot of LIV and stupid people vote for a candidate based on their "appeal" rather than on their qualifications.  Just take a look at Barry.  His appeal was that he was young, black and could read from a teleprompter.  Did I mention also that he is an excellent liar?

Because he disagrees with you, he is a Democrat??

Extreme hyperbole doesn't win the argument, lb.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
No surprise.  Jeb will not be able to take Florida.  He was a crappy governor, he's pro-amnesty and his Common Core is about as popular as a thorn in your side.  In fact Jeb is a thorn in the GOP's side.

Tell me everything that you know about Common Core.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

That's what you say about Jeb.

Here's what the ACU says about Jeb.

Jeb Bush is the 43rd governor of the State of Florida, serving from 1999 through 2007. He was the third Republican elected to the state’s highest office and the first Republican in the state’s history to be reelected.

Governor Bush remained true to his conservative principles throughout his two terms in office – cutting nearly $20 billion in taxes, vetoing more than $2.3 billion in earmarks and reducing the state government workforce by more than 13,000. His limited government approach helped unleash one of the most robust and dynamic economies in the nation, creating 1.4 million net new jobs and improving the state’s credit ratings, including achieving the first ever triple-A bond rating for Florida.

During his two terms, Governor Bush championed major reform of government, in areas ranging from health care and environmental protection to civil service and tax reform. His top priority was the overhaul of the state’s failing education system. Under Governor Bush’s leadership, Florida established a bold accountability system in public schools and created the most ambitious school choice programs in the nation. Today, Florida remains a national leader in education and continues to enjoy rising student achievement.

So, all we have to do is decide whether to believe the American Conservative Union on Jeb, or some anonymous poster in the Internet.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mountaineer

Tell me everything that you know about Common Core.
What an interesting demand to make. We do know this: Jeb certainly is a big fan, and he describes it as "higher standards that develop critical thinking skills."

If you're really unfamiliar with Common Core, Luis, here's a primer:
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are a set of learning standards in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics. These standards, if adopted by a state, will replace existing state standards in these subject areas. You can download the standards by visiting the Common Core State Standards Initiative website.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

Thank you for that resource, mountain.

The thing that disturbed me most about common core is the way it was foisted on us. Just another one-size-fits-all national program showing how we the little people just don't understand how lucky we are to have these masterminds engineer our lives for us....without any input from us. 

Schooling has always been locally directed. But, now, common core takes even that away.

Offline evadR

All I need to know about common core I learned when my grandson showed me how he did math.  Everything was a guesstimation and they added from left to right.
If you asked him how much was 22 and 44 he'd say approximately 60.  I guess you can launch a space shuttle with those standards. 
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

And let's not forget that the greatest president of our lifetimes, Ronald Ragan, ran on eliminating the Department of Education, which was only established in 1979 under Jimmy Carter.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:09:17 am by aligncare »

Offline Rivergirl

And we have the kookburger glenn beck trashing Rubio and saying he's just like Obama.  Bashing his tax plan.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
What an interesting demand to make. We do know this: Jeb certainly is a big fan, and he describes it as "higher standards that develop critical thinking skills."

I'm not in the least unfamiliar with Common Core. I may be more familiar with it than most.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
All I need to know about common core I learned when my grandson showed me how he did math.  Everything was a guesstimation and they added from left to right.
If you asked him how much was 22 and 44 he'd say approximately 60.  I guess you can launch a space shuttle with those standards.

OK.

That is an issue with the program and curriculum purchased by the State in order to satisfy the basic requirements of Common Core.

Common Core does not dictate to any State how any State should teach anything, but only sets in place a set of basic (read: minimal) knowledge levels that all students should achieve in order to move on to the next grade,and eventually graduate from HS.

IOW... a kid graduating from HS in Indiana should have achieved the same level of proficiency in the basic subjects as a kid in Florida, and a kid in Florida should have achieved the same level of proficiency as a kid in Missouri, and so on.

That's in no way a bad thing, considering that (hopefully) those kids, once applying for college admissions both in and out of their States, would all have at least acquired the same level of education.

The individual States should re-examine the program curricula purchased, seek advice from the individual school Districts in teh State, and adopt a better curriculum that achieves the standards set ion place by Common Core.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:35:53 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Thank you for that resource, mountain.

The thing that disturbed me most about common core is the way it was foisted on us. Just another one-size-fits-all national program showing how we the little people just don't understand how lucky we are to have these masterminds engineer our lives for us....without any input from us. 

Schooling has always been locally directed. But, now, common core takes even that away.

Common Core was a concept voted on and approved by the National Governor's Association, a largely Republican group IIRC.

It's not a "national program", true, 46 States and the District of Columbia have adopted the program, but 4 have not. No State is compelled to adopt the program.

The highlighted sentence is the biggest fallacy of them all concerning this program.

Decisions on how to implement the standards are made at the state and local levels. So in fact, each State is approaching the way to achieve the goals in a different way, and even within each State, the individual Districts are doing the same.

Offline evadR

Sorry, but this crap is nation wide.

The Common Core's approach to math has proved among the most contentious aspects of the controversial national teaching standards.

In short, the new methods for addition and multiplication — namely, the use of number lines and multiplication boxes — are meant to promote a stronger conceptual understanding of math, rather than techniques for getting an answer on paper.

While this method supports the Common Core's goal of putting more of an emphasis on critical thinking, it can be a headache for parents who grew up on rote learning and were taught completely different ways of doing math. On occasion, these methods may seem overly complicated.

How do these principles look in action?

Here's an example, from a guide for teachers on the website of the North Carolina public school system, of a problem using a number line to add together two three-digit numbers:

number line addition exampleNorth Carolina Public Schools

The idea is to break the problem into smaller parts based on place value and to provide a visual reference for thinking about operations. Here, we're adding 178 and 225, so we start at 178, add 200 to get 378, then 20 to get 398, then 5 to get to our answer of 403. Breaking the problem up into these parts is intended to reinforce students' understanding of underlying concepts of place value.

Though well-intended, this method leads at times to rather complicated approaches to problems. For instance, the following example of the "counting-up subtraction method" as recently featured on Red State editor-in-chief Erick Erickson's blog. This question is from his daughter's third-grade math textbook:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/common-core-math-test-questions-2014-11#ixzz3XcuoY6vk
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The first problem with your link, is that you are using a site that's very hostile against the program to explain the program.

The first fallacy I see there is their claim that adopting the program takes control of educational content away from parents, taxpayers, local school districts and State.

That is flat out untrue.

I've put one child through the public school system and have one half way through HS right now, and I don't recall one single instance where I had any level of control over the educational standards or content of my kids' education. I had the choice of sending them to a public school, a private school, or keeping them at home and home schooling them.

"Public education is a State responsibility". That does not change under Common Core. The State can either adopt or not adopt the program, so right there you see visible proof that the States are still in charge for public education, and still responsible for it.

As an aside, American school children rank abysmally against the children of the rest of the industrialized world. It's not like the States have been doing such a bang up job all these years.

Here's one more thing...

In his announcement speech, Ted Cruz suggested that he would somehow "repeal" Common Core.

He can't.

It's not a Federal law that can be repealed.

Certainly funding incentives can be taken away, and they should be, but he (as President) could no more "repeal" Common Core than he could abolish abortion in the nation.

Common Core is controversial, but it's creation was an exercise in basic Federalism. It was voted into existence by the States with no influence from the Federal government.

One last thing...

The Federal government can use funding and even pressure to influence the States into adopting the program, but as the laws stand today, and as they have stood for decades, the Federal government is forbidden from implementing a national school curriculum by the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA Pub.I.89-1- Stat 27, 20 U.S.C. ch 70).

Common Core is not necessarily a bad thing once you understand it. The best way to eliminate crap like the stupid math that keeps popping up all over the Internet, is to vote your local and State education people out of office and demand that the ones you vote in set a better program in place.

That bad math can exist in our school systems independent of Common Core.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:00:15 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I'm beginning to think you're nothing but a CRUZ groupie troll, libertybele.    :chairbang:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The Common Core's approach to math has proved among the most contentious aspects of the controversial national teaching standards.

In short, the new methods for addition and multiplication — namely, the use of number lines and multiplication boxes — are meant to promote a stronger conceptual understanding of math, rather than techniques for getting an answer on paper.

While this method supports the Common Core's goal of putting more of an emphasis on critical thinking, it can be a headache for parents who grew up on rote learning and were taught completely different ways of doing math. On occasion, these methods may seem overly complicated.

Here's an example, from a guide for teachers on the website of the North Carolina public school system, of a problem using a number line to add together two three-digit numbers:

The idea is to break the problem into smaller parts based on place value and to provide a visual reference for thinking about operations. Here, we're adding 178 and 225, so we start at 178, add 200 to get 378, then 20 to get 398, then 5 to get to our answer of 403. Breaking the problem up into these parts is intended to reinforce students' understanding of underlying concepts of place value.

Though well-intended, this method leads at times to rather complicated approaches to problems. For instance, the following example of the "counting-up subtraction method" as recently featured on Red State editor-in-chief Erick Erickson's blog. This question is from his daughter's third-grade math textbook:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/common-core-math-test-questions-2014-11#ixzz3XcuoY6vk

That's shitty curriculum and programs purchased by the States. Common Core does not establish curriculum.

The States have adopted a set of end results standards, but how they get there is their own choice.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
And let's not forget that the greatest president of our lifetimes, Ronald Ragan, ran on eliminating the Department of Education, which was only established in 1979 under Jimmy Carter.

... and did not do it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

BTW...

I don't have a problem with anyone NOT liking Common Core, but I have a problem with elevating the issue to the Federal level, because it amounts to arguing that the Federal government should have no involvement public education by handing the issue to the Federal government for resolution.

The net-net results of that is that you've handed the control of public education over to the Federal government.

If you oppose Common Core, work to get your State to drop out of the program.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
And we have the kookburger glenn beck trashing Rubio and saying he's just like Obama.  Bashing his tax plan.

Leader of the pack.

When you're Beck and Rush etc, you cannot move even slightly to the left, because you will lose your audience. What happens then is that in order to stay fresh and entertaining to your audience, you must move farther to the right. You have to be "more" conservative this week than you were this week last year.

They move further and further away from the mass of the ideological center of the polity, and closer to the fringe.

... and here we are.

What was conservative a year ago, is moderate today, and will be liberal next year.

Imagine Reagan seeking election today and standing firm on his idea that what is needed to be done about the illegal aliens in the US is a general amnesty.

Some here would call him a Democrat.

Reagan didn't change. He can't change.

They changed.

They're calling others more liberal because they became more stridently conservative.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:34:22 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Leader of the pack.

You have posted some great information in this thread, Luis.  Thank you.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
You have posted some great information in this thread, Luis.  Thank you.

People need to read things other than those which support their preconceived notions.

Challenge everything that you think you know.

If it holds up to the challenge, you were right, and if not, you learned something new.

Offline Longiron

I'm beginning to think you're nothing but a CRUZ groupie troll, libertybele.    :chairbang:
The troll on here is obvious and it is not libertybele ! Nothing bad about being on Cruzcontrol. :beer: