Author Topic: Ted Cruz  (Read 7146 times)

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:06:02 am »
A couple of things I didn't know about Cruz.  He is amazing.  No wonder the Dems hate him; Hillary (***) especially!

* In the landmark case of District of Columbia v. Heller, Cruz drafted the amicus brief signed by the attorneys general of 31 states, which said that the D.C. handgun ban should be struck down as infringing upon the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms

* He graduated cum laude from Princeton University and magna cum laude from Harvard University

* He served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to May 2008, after being appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. He   was the first Hispanic, the youngest and the longest-serving solicitor general in Texas history.

* Cruz's victory in the Republican primary was described by the Washington Post as "the biggest upset of 2012 . . . a true grassroots victory against very long odds."

*** Cruz helped prepare testimony for the impeachment proceedings against President Clinton
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Carling

Re: Ted Cruz
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:17:32 pm »
Sounds like he'll be a fantastic Attorney General for President Walker.   :whistle:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:16:05 am »
Cruz knows he's not going to get the nomination this time.  His support among his fellow Senators is very thin and he's got some mellowing to do.

Plus he's young. There's plenty of time for him to mount a serious campaign.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:26:03 am »
Steady sink! You almost said something nice about Cruz!!!  :laugh:

He might hook the nomination, he's certainly got some impressive momentum thus far (yes, it's a long way out still, but it is possible). His support at the moment though reminds me of the Strid here in the UK. It's a place where an entire river forces it's way through a 4 foot wide gap in the rocks - you can step over it but no one knows how deep it is as the current destroys anything put in to test it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline evadR

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:34:12 am »
The Pub have so many excellent candidates and the Dims have nothing by POS's.

They can't possibly mess this up.........can they???
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:16:17 am »

Nope.  I am confident that whoever the GOP nominates will be the next President. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:49 am »
Nope.  I am confident that whoever the GOP nominates will be the next President.

From your 'lips' to God's ear!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 11:51:01 am »

57% Think Hillary Clinton Likely To Win in 2016

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/57_think_hillary_clinton_likely_to_win_in_2016

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 01:09:41 pm »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »
Cruz has my vote. If he isn't on the ballot I'll write it in

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 02:30:18 pm »
I suspect it was higher 8 years ago and Obama was hardly a blip.

That just tells me that eight years ago, like today, a majority of the people thought that the GOP wasn't going to win the election.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Longiron

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
I suspect it was higher 8 years ago and Obama was hardly a blip.
Put a
Put up a RINO candidate up and that will true. :chairbang:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 05:58:58 pm »
Cruz has my vote. If he isn't on the ballot I'll write it in

I am confident that Cruz will be on the ballot.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:42 pm »
Put a
Put up a RINO candidate up and that will true. :chairbang:

To the people who make that statement who is nominated and eventually loses the election is irrelevant.

If Bush gets the nomination and loses to a Democrat, you'll say it was because Bush was nominated and because the "GOPe" rigged the process.

If Cruz is nominated and loses to the Democrat, you'll say it was electoral fraud.

It's always someone else's fault.

You fail to grasp the visible and undeniable fact that the country, as both a country and a people, are becoming more liberal rather than more conservative, and in spite of that you insist that the GOP's "salvation" lies in nominating someone more conservative over someone more centrist and more in tune with the mindset of the general population.

P.S. Romney lost because SoCons refused to vote for him. Predicting that nominating someone not as conservative as you'd like the nominee to be will mean that the GOP will lose the election while KNOWING that a segment of the right wing vote will not vote for the less-than-ideologically-pure candidate, is known as a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 08:17:14 pm »
Not true at all.  The only one I blame for the McCain Obama loss, Romney Obama loss is the GOPe running RINO's.   I'm certainly not faulting anyone else nor am I claiming fraud.

Yes I do insist that in order for the Republicans to win the oval office in 2016 they need to run a conservative; a RINO WILL lose.  Why vote for a RINO when a Democrat is already running?  Not self-fulfilling prophecy but based on the past several election cycles where RINO's lost.  I highly doubt that I need to remind you that RINO's lost twice to Obama. 

As for your so-called undeniable fact that people and the country are becoming more liberal is pure liberal b.s.  Mid term elections were very indicative of the opposite.

Over 62 million voters cast their ballot for George W. Bush in 2004.  Less than 60 million voters cast their ballot for John McCain in 2008.  And somewhere under 57-59 Million voters cast their ballot for Mitt Romney in 2012.  The numbers from the latest election seem to indicate that the Republican Party is losing voters while America is gaining them.

Now to be fair, Mr. Obama lost seven million voters in 2012 as well.  The reason for his loss is obviously a lack of enthusiasm.  Never has a presidential candidate changed course so vehemently from positive to negative.  Independents were no longer enthused about this man.   

But the bigger question remains – why did Mitt Romney receive less votes than both George W. Bush and John McCain?  Surely many of these voters can be chalked up to younger voters, libertarians and Hispanic voters, as we’ve already discussed in previous segments.  But the absent voter bloc that has gone largely unnoticed is evangelical Christians.

The 2004 Bush Election Plan.

Following the election debacle of 2000, the Rove/Bush/Cheney team determined to take evangelical turnout into their own hands.  They brought the turnout operation inside the campaign rather than allowing outside groups to control the ground game.  They hired Ralph Reed, former head of the now-defunct Christian Coalition, to come inside the campaign.  His goal, was to create tens of thousands of evangelical Christian volunteers to help get out the vote on Election Day.  Reed quickly put in place chairpersons in nine battleground states for Social Conservative Outreach.

This outreach had two major goals.  First, Christian churches needed to be hosting voter registration drives.  Second, pastors needed to be persuaded to speak out on social issues from the pulpit of their churches.  Specifically, these pastors were prompted to speak on marriage and Life, as other issues like education, poverty and war split voters down the middle.  The Bush campaign believed that this was a winning strategy as seven out of ten evangelicals would vote for Bush over Kerry.  The campaign created a database of over 5,000 churches.

Out of the 1.4 million volunteers on the Bush campaign, 350,000 were “pro-family” evangelicals.

What was the result of the Rove/Bush/Cheney effort?  Staggering.  Exit polls showed that 3.5 million evangelical voters that stayed home in 2000, went to the polls on Election Day 2004.  78% of evangelicals voted for Bush.  It is estimated that between new evangelical voters along with evangelicals who had voted for Gore, Bush picked up 6 million new evangelical voters in 2004.   

Romney’s failure in 2012.

We can sit around all day and discuss the growing number of evangelicals supporting Republicans over Democrats.  And that is a great thing.  One way to increase our slice of the pie is to take from the Democrat’s slice of the pie.  But any increase in the R column didn’t come from Romney’s unparalleled ability to communicate with evangelicals as much as it came from Obama’s stance on tax-payer funded abortion, religious liberties and Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgendered rights.  What we want to do is grown our numbers through reliable true believers.   

Here are the numbers that matter:

Evangelicals made up 41% of the Indiana electorate in 2008.  While they made up 35% of the Indiana electorate in 2012.

Evangelicals constituted  7% LESS of the electoral makeup in Kansas in 2012 than in 2004.

A lower percentage of Evangelical voters participated in the overall electorate in Minnesota in 2012.

In Florida and Nevada – there was less support for Romney than there was for McCain.  And in Ohio, evangelical support was up for Obama.

All of the increases in evangelical turnout or rise in republican support among that community came out of reliably red states.  So any problems that we discuss here are in purple or blue states becoming more blue.

What went wrong?

A lot of factors went wrong for Mr. Romney.  And this is really key.  Early on, there was much speculation about whether evangelicals would support Mr. Romney.  Number one, Romney was a Mormon which is viewed as a cult within the Christian community.  Second, Mr. Romney was the first governor to sign gay marriage into law.  Third, Mr. Romney was avidly pro-abortion earlier in the decade and in the decade before that.  His conversion didn’t come until he was in his 50’s and mounting a bid for the presidency.  He remained pro-abortion in many circumstances.  These amounted to huge problems for the Romney campaign which he never quite addressed.

Mr. Romney gave a vague and ambiguous speech on religion that was supposed to amount to a JFK Catholic moment.  It never materialized.

He then came to Liberty University to speak.  Again, he was vague and took twenty minutes to say nothing.  He did throw out the obligatory “we should respect life.”  But never fired up the crowd.

At some point, without really having convinced widespread evangelicals that they could vote for Romney, the campaign pulled a Bush and assumed that the mission was accomplished.  Evangelical outreach kind of ended there.  Romney then waged a campaign that was a referendum on Obama’s economic record without focusing on the issues that evangelicals cared about.  His speeches included no references to marriage and only one passing mention of protecting life which could have been as much about stopping DUI’s or terrorist attacks as it could be about abortion.

In the end, Romney half-assed his evangelical outreach.  He went to the top and talked to leaders and hoped that it would trickle down.  But political movements come from the bottom up and there was no outreach that was equal to the mounting obstacles he had to overcome in his community.  The faithful were never convinced of his sincerity on the issues they cared about.  I know this because I was one of the unconvinced in an important swing state and my mega-church was filled with others like me.

At the end of the day, Romney crossed his fingers and hoped that Christians would overlook his abysmal record.  In large part, they did.  He received most of the votes.  But he didn’t approach it scientifically as Bush did.  And it showed.  The laziness of the Romney campaign on the Church issue contributed to the difference between being the President of the United States and being another failed candidate like George Romney before him.   

Anyone that tells me a Mike Huckabee or Mike Pence (with greater name recognition) couldn’t have articulated a vision that could have vastly improved turnout amongst church-goers in Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Colorado, etc. – simply doesn’t understand the importance of turning out a base.

The myth of the independent.

They myth of the independent voter was blown up by this election.  Romney actually won the independent vote yet he traded in a strong base of support for it.  Obama’s turnout amongst his bread-and-butter reliable democrats trounced the party with independents.

Romney won independents by 10 points in Ohio.  But lost the election.  Likewise, he won independents by 5 nationwide, but lost the election.  Oftentimes, independent support isn’t the strength of independent thinkers leaning in your direction.  It is people that are waiting to fall in line behind a strong leader but simply don’t believe in the message of either candidate and end up going for the most popular or the one that sounds the best.  What independent support is, is soft support.  When someone answers a phone call from Rasmussen and they are on board with your agenda and excited about your candidacy they identify themselves through party affiliation.  But if a soft candidate doesn’t command the same sort of identification leaving voters independent.

Evangelicals

Much of the research and numbers still has to be combed through.  But evangelicals just didn’t turn out to vote for Romney like they have in the past and even where they did, they were unenthusiastic.  They didn’t volunteer.

The thing to remember about religious voters is that unlike any other voting segment, they believe that history has already been written and they understand that even when someone terrible is elected, it is God’s will.  This is a mindset that allows many people to sit out an election in a way that a union member or NRA supporter never could.  They put their faith in God and that relieves them of certain responsibilities that other voters feel.

Obviously, when the R’s put up a poor candidate and argue that we should vote the “lesser of two evils,” many Christians balk, realizing that the lesser of two evils is in fact, still evil to them.

http://www.redstate.com/diary/griffinelection/2012/11/14/what-went-wrong-in-2012-the-case-of-the-4-million-missing-voters/

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:27:59 pm »
Not true at all.  The only one I blame for the McCain Obama loss, Romney Obama loss is the GOPe running RINO's.   I'm certainly not faulting anyone else nor am I claiming fraud.

Yes I do insist that in order for the Republicans to win the oval office in 2016 they need to run a conservative; a RINO WILL lose.  Why vote for a RINO when a Democrat is already running?  Not self-fulfilling prophecy but based on the past several election cycles where RINO's lost.  I highly doubt that I need to remind you that RINO's lost twice to Obama. 

As for your so-called undeniable fact that people and the country are becoming more liberal is pure liberal b.s.  Mid term elections were very indicative of the opposite.

Conservatism, by the very definition of the word, means to seek and conserve things as they were in the past. Conservatism fights change while there is nothing as inevitable as change.

You call my statement "pure liberal b.s."...

Tell me, are we now more liberal or more conservative than we were in 1965?

1955?

1945?

1935?

We have been engaged on a march towards more liberal societal attitudes rather that toward more conservative ones almost since the onset of the nation.

Hell, the war of Independence was a liberal move away from Monarchism and toward Democracy.

Younger generations will ALWAYS be perceived as being more liberal than older generations by those older generations, simply because they will always be more permissive and accepting of behaviors that were deemed taboo or inappropriate by the older generations.

Mid term elections were very indicative of the opposite.

That's so ironic.

The GOPe that you abhor so much CRUSHED the TEA Party these past midterms, but you want to conflate the GOPe's victory into some sort of conservative grand slam.

It wasn't. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 08:57:51 pm »
I stand by my belief that a RINO WILL lose to a Democrat.  I have no doubts.  The Republicans have slowly lost their base because they have pulled to the left.  Liberalism isn't working, hasn't worked and won't work.  Luis all you seem to want to do is to incite an argument between conservatives -- something that a liberal would do. That argument ends here.  I don't care to engage.

Quit turning these posts into personal things. I'm posting my opinion just as everyone else posts theirs.

The fact that we don't agree doesn't make me some sort of aggressor looking for trouble... we don't agree. Period.

If anything, you insist on using an acronym that many here have pointed to as being insulting and divisive. Clean your house before telling me mine is dusty.

It isn't so much that the GOP has moved to the left, but rather that the right has moved further right.

Hell... Reagan running today would probably be called a mushy moderate.

Jeb Bush, during his tenure as Florida governor was a conservative.

He was a tax cutter.

Stridently pro-life.

Pro-business.

Pro school choice.

This is what the ACU says about Jeb Bush on their website:

Jeb Bush is the 43rd governor of the State of Florida, serving from 1999 through 2007. He was the third Republican elected to the state’s highest office and the first Republican in the state’s history to be reelected.

Governor Bush remained true to his conservative principles throughout his two terms in office – cutting nearly $20 billion in taxes, vetoing more than $2.3 billion in earmarks and reducing the state government workforce by more than 13,000. His limited government approach helped unleash one of the most robust and dynamic economies in the nation, creating 1.4 million net new jobs and improving the state’s credit ratings, including achieving the first ever triple-A bond rating for Florida.

During his two terms, Governor Bush championed major reform of government, in areas ranging from health care and environmental protection to civil service and tax reform. His top priority was the overhaul of the state’s failing education system. Under Governor Bush’s leadership, Florida established a bold accountability system in public schools and created the most ambitious school choice programs in the nation. Today, Florida remains a national leader in education and continues to enjoy rising student achievement.

Yet, outlier conservatives want to label him something other than a conservative.

You moved, Jeb's record didn't.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
I stand by my belief that a RINO WILL lose to a Democrat.  I have no doubts.  The Republicans have slowly lost their base because they have pulled to the left.  Liberalism isn't working, hasn't worked and won't work.  Luis all you seem to want to do is to incite an argument between conservatives -- something that a liberal would do. That argument ends here.  I don't care to engage.
The beautiful thing about this forum is the Ignore button. Easy to do and one does not get frustrated with the Lib troll's :tongue2:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 09:38:20 pm »
History, empirical facts and analysis simply fail to get through, when emotion, cult of personality, and obsession is concerned.

"McCain will lose to J.D. Hackworth. I guarantee it. Nobody I know will vote for McCain."

Wash, rinse, repeat.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 09:44:40 pm »
History, empirical facts and analysis simply fail to get through, when emotion, cult of personality, and obsession is concerned.

"McCain will lose to J.D. Hackworth. I guarantee it. Nobody I know will vote for McCain."

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Ignoring facts, dismissing truths by calling them trolling and sticking heads in the sand appear to be the cornerstones of neopaleoconservatism. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:04:53 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 03:21:47 am »

What a load.

You've impugned not only Jeb Bush, but also have called Rubio a liar....who's "dead to me".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 03:27:28 am »
What a load.

You've impugned not only Jeb Bush, but also have called Rubio a liar....who's "dead to me".

Jeb, the Governor.

Pro life.

Pro 2nd Amendment.

Tax cutter.

Reduced the size of government.

Created jobs in the State by unleashing the entrepreneurial nature of Floridians.

Successfully implemented school choice and a Charter School system that was copied all over the US.

Fought the Courts to try and save Terri Schiavo's life.

But to outliers he's a moderate.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 03:36:23 am »
Jeb, the Governor.

Pro life.

Pro 2nd Amendment.

Tax cutter.

Reduced the size of government.

Created jobs in the State by unleashing the entrepreneurial nature of Floridians.

Successfully implemented school choice and a Charter School system that was copied all over the US.

Fought the Courts to try and save Terri Schiavo's life.

But to outliers he's a moderate.

I would love to see Jeb Bush become POTUS.   But he's got no more than a snowball's chance in hell.

The mainstream media have poisoned and savaged GWB...to the point that, taken together with his father, make the 'Bush' name toxic.

Daffy Duck could beat him in the general.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 03:40:34 am »
I would love to see Jeb Bush become POTUS.   But he's got no more than a snowball's chance in hell.

The mainstream media have poisoned and savaged GWB...to the point that, taken together with his father, make the 'Bush' name toxic.

Daffy Duck could beat him in the general.

It's an amazing thing to see.

Conservatives taking their marching orders and talking points from the hated MSM and attacking Bush.

I'd like to see Jeb as POTUS if for no reason other than knowing that the worthless hearts of the entire Middle Eastern group of jihadi a$$holes around the world would skip a beat at the sight of another Bush at the head of our military.   

THAT, BTW, is the REAL issue of this electoral cycle.

Not gays, not wedding cakes, not Mexicans.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:44:56 am by Luis Gonzalez »