Author Topic: American Muslim girl seeks to be the first veiled anchor in U.S  (Read 829 times)

rangerrebew

American Muslim girl seeks to be the first veiled anchor in U.S

April 12, 2015 _ 4:49 PM.       

News Code : 683037
Source : Websites

A Libyan-American Muslim woman growing up in southern Maryland, seeks to be the first-ever veiled anchor on commercial television in America, defying the stereotyped image of the Muslim women in the mainstream media, according to media reports.

A Libyan-American Muslim woman growing up in southern Maryland, seeks to be the first-ever veiled anchor on commercial television in America, defying the stereotyped image of the Muslim women in the mainstream media, according to media reports.

"I grew up knowing that I wanted to be a reporter and basically have a way to tell stories," Muslim journalist Noor Tagouri said in a video cited by the Huffington Post on Friday.

The 21-year-old journalist Tagouri was finally able to fulfill her dream after launching her social media campaign #LetNoorShine, in 2012, to encourage herself and others to pursue their dreams.

There have been so many times where I have been knocked down, where people told me I wasn't going to be able to do it, where people in the newsroom that I was interning at would go behind my back... saying, 'Who does she think she is? Does she not know that this isn't going to happen for her?'" Tagouri says.

"But they don't realize that this generation, right now, is an upcoming generation. Things are changing. People are going to get used to it. People... want diversity; they want to understand each other."

CBS Radio's community and public affairs director, Justine Love, agreed. She had seen an 18-year-old Tagouri give a spoken word performance on World AIDS Day several years ago and offered the journalism major an internship right on the spot. What Tagouri considers especially divine about that experience is the fact that she had prayed for professional guidance less than 24 hours earlier.

With that CBS Radio internship, Tagouri's journalism career began to take off.

"Literally, that internship changed my life," Tagouri says. "That was the start of when #LetNoorShine was starting and when things just started falling into place. It was opportunity after opportunity, and it was just from that guidance, just from that prayer."

Proudly wearing the hijab, Tagouri has about 89,000 followers on her official Facebook page.

A US survey recently has revealed that the majority of Americans know very little about Muslims and their faith. Another Economist/YouGov poll found that a large majority of Americans believe that US Muslims are victims of discrimination amid recent attacks against the community.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: American Muslim girl seeks to be the first veiled anchor in U.S
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:04:27 pm »
I am indifferent about the veil. It is like eating meat on Friday.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:31:11 pm »
I am indifferent about the veil. It is like eating meat on Friday.

I don't care about the veil either.  I'm all for diversity, it's what makes life interesting.  Having said that, when I see a woman wearing a hijab now, I think of the mothers raising their children to become beheaders and jihadists.  I can't help it.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:22:47 pm »
By using stereotypical Muslim dress on-air. Such defiance.

When I went to college, there was a local meteorologist who never wore a suit. He preferred a polo shirt and jeans in good weather (they used the “Weather Outside” approach). But even he, in his earliest years, wore a standard business suit.

I understand the religious freedom concept, but most media companies have specific image expectations, especially of the newest hires. The veil is going to be a distraction, and I suspect she designed this to be an “in your face” approach.

But hey, maybe al-Jazeera will hire her.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 12:48:30 am »
I am not indifferent to the veil.

To those of The West, it is (or at least it SHOULD BE) as much of an affront as is the thrust of the swastika into the face of a Jew, or a burning of a cross before a negro.

It is not only a symbol of the oppression of women under islam, it is perhaps the most obvious visual warning to the Christian West -- representing a political system cloaked as "a religion" (as if it were cloaked behind the veil itself) that seeks to destroy all we represent, and even to destroy our very lives along with that...

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:04:35 am »
Ok, I guess I can be for it. But if I see one hint of a smile or an ankle, I will personally call her husband, father, and brothers, so that she can be beaten soundly according to the laws of Allah.

On the other hand, if she is just going to do that infidel American Muslim thing, and just throw a stupid scarf on her head and call it good, this just makes a mockery of Islam, and it mocks Allah. If this is what she has in mind she should be dealt with by her husband and family accordingly.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:13:19 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:12:53 am »
You did a spoken word performance, a radio internship, and a social media campaign.

Fine. Now, get back to us when someone in Topeka hires you as on-screen anchor wearing clothing on your face. The camera's gonna love that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:17:02 am »
I don't care about the veil either.  I'm all for diversity, it's what makes life interesting.  Having said that, when I see a woman wearing a hijab now, I think of the mothers raising their children to become beheaders and jihadists.  I can't help it.
And another way to look at it to consider that the terrorists mostly kill other innocent muslims.

And it appears Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and others are fed up, and are acting to quell terrorist factions. The mothers of the muslim soldiers, who kill the terrorists, or are killed by the terrorists, will likely wear veils too.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln