Author Topic: Aboard Flights, Conflicts Over Seat Assignments and Religion  (Read 596 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Aboard Flights, Conflicts Over Seat Assignments and Religion
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:05:17 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/us/aboard-flights-conflicts-over-seat-assignments-and-religion.html?&target=comments&hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&modref=HPCommentsRefer&module=photo-spot-region%C2%AEion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1#commentsContainer

Aboard Flights, Conflicts Over Seat Assignments and Religion

By MICHAEL PAULSONAPRIL 9, 2015

Francesca Hogi, 40, had settled into her aisle seat for the flight from New York to London when the man assigned to the adjoining window seat arrived and refused to sit down. He said his religion prevented him from sitting beside a woman who was not his wife. Irritated but eager to get underway, she eventually agreed to move.

Laura Heywood, 42, had a similar experience while traveling from San Diego to London via New York. She was in a middle seat — her husband had the aisle — when the man with the window seat in the same row asked if the couple would switch positions. Ms. Heywood, offended by the notion that her sex made her an unacceptable seatmate, refused.

“I wasn’t rude, but I found the reason to be sexist, so I was direct,” she said.

A growing number of airline passengers, particularly on trips between the United States and Israel, are now sharing stories of conflicts between ultra-Orthodox Jewish men trying to follow their faith and women just hoping to sit down. Several flights from New York to Israel over the last year have been delayed or disrupted over the issue, and with social media spreading outrage and debate, the disputes have spawned a protest initiative, an online petition and a spoof safety video from a Jewish magazine suggesting a full-body safety vest (“Yes, it’s kosher!”) to protect ultra-Orthodox men from women seated next to them on airplanes.

continued...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: Aboard Flights, Conflicts Over Seat Assignments and Religion
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:24 pm »
At least these guys don't self detonate.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:08:32 pm »
I wouldn't move if I didn't feel like it, regardless of whether the complainant was
Muslim or Jew.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:55:28 pm »
I wouldn't move if I didn't feel like it, regardless of whether the complainant was
Muslim or Jew.

Agree.  Let him move.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 11:36:41 pm »
Muslim or Jew.

Yep.  Not your responsibility to move.  It would be his.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:07:40 am »
No way would I move if he can't sit by any woman but his wife he darn well better buy two seats or bring her with him and make sure he has the window seat and if his wife can't sit near a man other than her husband then he still had better buy the seat next to hers too or fly first class when with her.