Author Topic: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal  (Read 869 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:49:00 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/bill-recording-police-illegal_n_6861444.html

A bill introduced in the Texas House of Representatives would make it illegal for private citizens to record police within 25 feet.

House Bill 2918, introduced by state Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) on Tuesday, would make the offense a misdemeanor. Citizens who are armed would not be permitted to record police activity within 100 feet of an officer, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Only representatives of radio or TV organizations that hold an FCC license, newspapers and magazines would have the right to record police.

The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he's seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

"My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement," Villalba tweeted.

The bill would go against precedent set in 2011 by an appeals court, which found that citizens are allowed to record police, according to the ACLU.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

Re: Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:51:23 pm »
I'm sure what is 25 feet and what isn't will be up to law enforcement, meaning you could be more than 25 feet away and still be harassed by police. If the drafters of the bill were worried about interference with police performing their duties the bill would call for a 25 foot perimeter excluding ALL people, not just those with a camera. This has nothing to do with helping police do their job and everything to do with making it harder to make them accountable for their actions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:14:15 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:17:00 pm »
The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he's seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

"My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement," Villalba tweeted.
]
The Supreme Court has all ready  said these laws are  unconstitutional

you goose stepping  jackass  :patriot:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:17:40 pm by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:22 pm »
I understand the arguments against these kinds of measures but anyone who has ever visited "LiveLeak" or similar sites can find an increasing frequency of troublemakers with cameras provoking confrontations with cops and interfering with police officers conducting their lawful duties.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:46:56 pm »
I understand the arguments against these kinds of measures but anyone who has ever visited "LiveLeak" or similar sites can find an increasing frequency of troublemakers with cameras provoking confrontations with cops and interfering with police officers conducting their lawful duties.

If you're going to limit our ability to film the police then the police need to be wearing cameras at all times.
-Socrates

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:57:39 pm »
If you're going to limit our ability to film the police then the police need to be wearing cameras at all times.

I think body cameras should be mandatory -  to protect the cops as much as the citizens with whom they interact.