Author Topic: WaPost...On first official day on the trail, Rand Paul turns in a prickly performance  (Read 1361 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/on-first-official-day-on-the-trail-rand-paul-turns-a-prickly-performance/2015/04/08/2be3a326-de35-11e4-a1b8-2ed88bc190d2_story.html

On his first full day as a presidential candidate, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) spoke with an Associated Press reporter about the question of abortion, refusing to put his stance into a “neat” category. (AP)

By Katie Zezima and Vanessa Williams April 8 at 8:10 PM

MILFORD, N.H. — Less than 24 hours after Rand Paul announced his White House bid before hundreds of jubilant, flag-waving supporters, his fledgling presidential campaign seemed to be defined more by his defiant performance when the cheering stopped.

In a series of interviews after the freshman senator from Kentucky declared his candidacy on Tuesday, Paul turned prickly — briskly sidestepping tough foreign policy questions from one journalist, lecturing another on how to conduct an interview, and testily declining to clarify his position on abortion.

And so, as Paul’s first full day of campaigning drew to a close, the narrative surrounding his campaign came straight from the candidate. It just wasn’t one he’d chosen himself.

Rand Paul has never been one to shy away from confrontation. He launched his political career on an anti-establishment message. He’s gained renown for trolling his political opponents on social media. Even the first half of the slogan for his presidential campaign skews combative: “Defeat the Washington machine.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Longiron

The LIB media really want to make this about social issues????? I guess the economy, unemployment, ISIS, Common Core BS, Amnesty are just not all that important to the people just social media ??? Hopefully, TC and RP do not fall into that trap. :beer:

Offline ArneFufkin

The "GOP War on Women" disinformation campaign is officially underway.   

The "journalists" that Paul allegedly insulted and patronized were female.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:15:05 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline musiclady

The "GOP War on Women" disinformation campaign is officially underway.   

The "journalists" that Paul allegedly insulted and patronized were female.

Yep.  Their game is on.

It's stupid.  It's a lie.

But a lot of idiots will fall for it..................... again.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The LIB media really want to make this about social issues????? I guess the economy, unemployment, ISIS, Common Core BS, Amnesty are just not all that important to the people just social media ??? Hopefully, TC and RP do not fall into that trap. :beer:

I disagree! They want to be able to characterize any candidate they want in any way they want and have the candidate sit there and take it.

I watched every single one of those supposed interviews yesterday and the supposed journalists, every last one of them, where making characterizations instead of asking questions.

Rand paul is a long way down on my lst of prefered candidates but he get's an A+ from me for pushing back against this kind of crap!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:57:09 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Rand Paul's ‘I Paid for This Microphone’ Moment
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-09/rand-paul-s-i-paid-for-this-microphone-moment

The candidate's answer on abortion wasn't a stumble at all.
David Weigel

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. –On Wednesday afternoon, the preferred media narrative of the Rand Paul campaign was set. The Kentucky senator was "prickly," possessing the same unpresidential character trait that sank Howard Dean 11 years earlier. He could not and would not hide his contempt for some questions from the reporters asking them. In the space of a few hours he chastised an Associated Press reporter for a series of abortion queries, and he told Today co-host Savannah Guthrie that she was "editorializing" in the way she asked about his evolving foreign policies. He told the New York Times and CNN that, no, he didn't consider some of the questions he got to be "journalism."

Meanwhile, on the right, Paul was experiencing some of his best, warmest press since his 2013 drone filibuster. The reason was the pugnacious pro-life answer he gave at Wednesday's availability in New Hampshire, when asked to clarify his abortion views.

"Why don’t we ask the DNC: Is it OK to kill a seven-pound baby in the uterus?" asked Paul. "You go back and you ask Debbie Wasserman Schultz if she's OK with killing a seven-pound baby that is not born yet."

At LifeNews, Steven Ertelt transcribed Paul's answer and declared that he'd "turned the typical question on abortion exceptions around in the most amazing way." Ertelt's analysis has been shared more than 5,000 times on Facebook. The Daily Caller reported that Paul had done something "new and refreshing"–more than 8000 shares for that spin. The Daily Signal's version of the story scored more than 1,000 shares. At HotAir, the Paul answer kicked off a discussion thread riddled with praise for the senator.

"Paul was smart enough to force the media to place scrutiny on the Democrats’ hard cases on abortion," surmised Scott McKay, the publisher of the Louisiana conservative politics site the Hayride. "No Republican should ever get an abortion question without parroting everything he just said."

Paul's script-flip was exactly what the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List PAC had been advising Republicans to do since 2012. On Wednesday afternoon, the PAC put out a statement from President Marjorie Dannenfelser, telling reporters that "Rand was right," and that "the current abortion debate is centered on a highly reasonable proposal to protect children after 20 weeks, or five months of pregnancy – the point at which they can feel excruciating pain."

Paul wasn't just deflecting the question. He had asked for, and received, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz's own stance on abortion. "I support letting women and their doctors make this decision without government getting involved," she said. "It sounds like her answer is, yes," Paul said in his CNN interview. "She's OK with killing a seven- pound baby." He knew, as conservatives knew, that the ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy was a majority position.

Some politicians have warm, back-slapping relations with the press; some can dodge questions while maintaining poker faces. Rand Paul may never be that kind of politician. But his abortion answer was not a stumble. It may have been his analogue to the moment Ronald Reagan fought for his microphone at a Nashua, N.H. candidate forum–not a gaffe, but a moment of harmony with the base.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:04:57 am by Once-Ler »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I don't think its going to be long before Paul will be stepping down.  I think he will have learned a valuable lesson; flip-flopping on issues to appease and become more of a centrist isn't going to work against the liberals and won't get the crucial votes needed from the conservative base.

Cruz is Golden! 2016
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline musiclady

I don't think its going to be long before Paul will be stepping down.  I think he will have learned a valuable lesson; flip-flopping on issues to appease and become more of a centrist isn't going to work against the liberals and won't get the crucial votes needed from the conservative base.

Cruz is Golden! 2016

Why would Paul step down when he's already beating Hillary in some key states?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The MSM will chew him up and spit him out before he even has a chance.  After all, he is the one that they have been so focused on and worried about.  They hated his father and obviously don't care much for him.  The beauty of it is, he isn't the DEMS biggest threat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:03:13 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline evadR

Few Republicans know how to manage the press.  Reagan of course could do it.  Noot, in his own way, could do a decent job.
I'm trying to think if there's anyone else....hmmm...nope, that's it.

If I were managing a campaign I would sit my guy down and have him watch videos of these two displaying their skills.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Longiron

The MSM will chew him up and spit him out before he even has a chance.  After all, he is the one that they have been so focused on and worried about.  They hated his father and obviously don't care much for him.  The beauty of it is, he isn't the DEMS biggest threat.
No offense but Rand will stand up to MSN and the LIB news readers. He can think on his feet better than his father and will be more prepared. He and TC are the only ones thus far that can do that and will not do the typical RINO candidates and look for the nearest corner to run and hide. He and CRUZ are so far adhead of the curve in intelligence than any news pundit or other candidates on both sides. This will become apparent inand if their are any debates, JMO

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It's about damned time a republican candidate tells the MSM to stop with the editorializing and "when did you stop beating your wife" type questions.

Rand is serving a purpose.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald