Author Topic: Can Ted Cruz be elected?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Can Ted Cruz be elected?
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:21:59 pm »
This is going to be a very short post.

Does Ted Cruz stand a realistic chance of being elected President? I don't mean an outside chance, I mean a realistic chance.

I know that many people believe he can win, but are they being realistic?

I've seen this happen before with other candidates. Some people think that candidate "X" can win simply because they want him to win. When a person points out a weakness in that candidate, they poo-poo him and call him names.

OK, so:

What are Cruz's strengths?

What are his weaknesses?

Please help me out here, folks.  ^-^

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Can Ted Cruz be elected?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:17:46 pm »
In a word... no.

Last time I asked for a list of Cruz's accomplishments, someone posted a listing of all the legislation he's sponsored in Congress.

That's just what we need... more laws on the books.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:39:27 pm »
So, is this yet another conservative pipe dream?

-- In 2004, Alan Keyes was supposed to handily defeat Barack Obama in the U. S. Senate race in Illinois. He got 27% of the vote.

-- In 2008, we had Fred Thompson or Duncan Hunter to save us. They both did poorly in the primaries.

-- In 2012, Sarah Palin was supposed to save us. She didn't even run.

But this time around with Ted Cruz it's supposed to be different.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:47:17 pm »
So, is this yet another conservative pipe dream?

-- In 2004, Alan Keyes was supposed to handily defeat Barack Obama in the U. S. Senate race in Illinois. He got 27% of the vote.

-- In 2008, we had Fred Thompson or Duncan Hunter to save us. They both did poorly in the primaries.

-- In 2012, Sarah Palin was supposed to save us. She didn't even run.

But this time around with Ted Cruz it's supposed to be different.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »
I believe Cruz could get he nomination, but would lose the general election.

His pitch fails with independents. They will object to his limited accomplishments, and object to his extreme positions on social issues.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 06:16:20 pm »
I'm liking him more too, but one thing is sticking in my mind.

One of his big pluses is he is a really amazing debater. Usually two steps ahead of everyone else, well prepared, and with the ability to grab a small point and make it the focus. All good skills to have, but I do remember something about skilled debaters - a really good one can argue both sides of a topic with equal skill and flair, no matter their own beliefs.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 06:30:39 pm »

One of his big pluses is he is a really amazing debater.

Debate moderator: "Religious liberty was one justification for slavery and then segregation, in the past.  Now members of your party are using religious liberty to justify unfair treatment, of gays. Most Americans condemn the use of religious liberty when used to justify mistreatment of women, and other religions, in muslim countries."

"Senator Cruz, please explain why the religious views of some, should be allowed to lesson the freedoms of others?"

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 07:19:47 pm »

One of his big pluses is he is a really amazing debater. Usually two steps ahead of everyone else, well prepared, and with the ability to grab a small point and make it the focus. All good skills to have, but I do remember something about skilled debaters - a really good one can argue both sides of a topic with equal skill and flair, no matter their own beliefs.

Shirley, you aren't intimating that Cruz in not at all sincere in his Conservatism and stated positions...are you?   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 07:39:17 pm »

"Senator Cruz, please explain why the religious views of some, should be allowed to lesson the freedoms of others?"

Would love to, Samantha, just as soon as you can explain why the President's party...YOUR party, aren't condemning Islam for their treatment of homosexuals, women and Christians unfortunate enough to be caught in the wrong place.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 07:55:29 pm »
Would love to, Samantha, just as soon as you can explain why the President's party...YOUR party, aren't condemning Islam for their treatment of homosexuals, women and Christians unfortunate enough to be caught in the wrong place.
I see. Two wrongs make a right?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 08:02:21 pm »
I know that consistency is hard to come by in a Washington politician, but a few are exactly who they say they are and stand precisely where they say they stand.

I've seen nothing in Cruz's behavior to suggest he's insincere in his principles or positions.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 08:24:19 pm »
I've seen nothing in Cruz's behavior to suggest he's insincere in his principles or positions.

Oh, I agree. It's more of a gentle self reminder to keep the person and the persona separate in his case.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 01:04:54 am »

A really good one can argue at least three sides of every topic.