Author Topic: Kentucky's perfect season ends with 71-64 loss to Wisconsin  (Read 771 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kentucky's perfect season ends with 71-64 loss to Wisconsin
« on: April 05, 2015, 01:56:48 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/kentuckys-perfect-season-ends-71-64-loss-wisconsin-034304204.html

Kentucky's perfect season ends with 71-64 loss to Wisconsin
Associated Press By EDDIE PELLS

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Nobody ever said they were perfect. Now, the Kentucky Wildcats aren't undefeated, either.

The hard-nosed Wisconsin Badgers did what nobody else could Saturday night — knocking off the Wildcats 71-64 behind 20 points and 11 rebounds from Frank Kaminsky and a clutch comeback down the stretch.

Now, it's Wisconsin heading to the final to play Duke, an 81-61 winner over Michigan State in the earlier — and much less entertaining — semifinal.

"It gives us another 40 minutes, I know that," said Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan, who leads the Badgers to their first final since 1941.

And Kentucky has a long ride home, finishing the season at 38-1 — two wins short of becoming the first undefeated team in college basketball since the 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers. Instead, these NBA-ready group of Wildcats join the star-studded 1991 UNLV team as the latest to take an undefeated record into the Final Four but lose in the semifinals.

So much has been made of Kentucky's unflappability when things don't look so good — like when the Wildcats got outplayed against Notre Dame last week but somehow pulled out a two-point win to make it to Indy.

This time, though, it was Wisconsin that came up clutch.

Trailing by four and gasping for breath after going 6 minutes without a bucket, the Badgers (36-3) responded with an 8-0 run to take a lead Kentucky couldn't overcome.

Kaminsky and Bronson Koenig went 7 for 8 from the line over the last 24 seconds to seal the win.

Kentucky's last, best chance came while trailing by three with 12 seconds left. But Karl-Anthony Towns received the ball in the post and got fouled. He made only one free throw, and from there, Wisconsin iced it from the line.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Kentucky's perfect season ends with 71-64 loss to Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:02:26 pm »
As a Kentucky fan, I am sad.   8888crybaby

Wisconsin played a great game and they deserved to win.  I'm proud of our team though - they had a great season - they have nothing to be ashamed of.

I do hope Wisconsin beats the crap out of Puke. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »
I thought the writing was on the wall after the Notre Dame game.  In spite of Kentucky's size and inside advantage, Notre Dame took them down to the last second.  I think the team peaked a bit too early.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »
I thought the writing was on the wall after the Notre Dame game.  In spite of Kentucky's size and inside advantage, Notre Dame took them down to the last second.  I think the team peaked a bit too early.

Yes, the Notre Dame game was hard to watch.  I could tell last night that they were tired and not really up to it.  It's not the first time I've seen Kentucky do that. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »
I lived in a Louisville suburb in Indiana for 4 years. Worked in Kentucky. Love the state and I really enjoyed UK basketball. It has to be a unique challenge to coach so many immensely talented athletes. They simply rely on their talent for long stretches and that is usually enough, I'm sure. But to counter a good and well-coached scheme, it can fall short. That happened here.

I'm A Cheesehead so I was happy. But, that UK team was tough.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:13:09 pm »

I think your analysis is spot on here.

They really didn't impress anyone against Notre Dame, and didn't win like someone who was going on to be a Championship team.

Wisconsin looked absolutely awesome....... especially their two 'bigs.'

I agree with alice.  I hope they beat the snot out of Duke.

(No Big Ten bias here.  ^-^)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.