Author Topic: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law  (Read 17834 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2015, 02:21:58 pm »
Good to know.  When they come for my guns, I'll give them up as well, then.

You can do as you please.  That ain't going to happen here as long as I'm breathing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
So then, in this libertarian "First Amendment trumps all" world, do Muslims have an inalienable right to walk into my deli and demand that I remove pork products from the menu?

I'll answer your question very directly!

They have a right to walk in and demand anything they please.   That doesn't mean that I have to comply and I have the right to tell them to get the hell out of my store!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
Does that exclusivity include a right to deny the sale based on the buyer's religious beliefs?

So then, in this libertarian "First Amendment trumps all" world, do Muslims have an inalienable right to walk into my deli and demand that I remove pork products from the menu?

I will answer both questions with the same response.  There is no hierarchy of inalienability.  The fact that the founders numbered them is interesting but not relevant, really.  Inalienability comes from God or nature, so there really is no hierarchy.  All inalienable rights are simply that: fixed by nature, and any government attempt to compromise them is immoral.

A person's rights pertain only to him.  They begin and end with the individual.  Rights, by their very nature, do not allow anyone to compromise the rights of another person, so in your example I say absolutely it does include the right of a property owner to deny a sale based on the buyer's religious beliefs.

You very well know this, Luis.  I have read your similar arguments on subjects like immigration and found them compelling.  It appears to some of us you have a blind spot when it comes to the rights of people you don't like (ie, SoCons).

The whole point of recognizing individual rights is so that everyone gets treated equally.  Government compelling equality will never accomplish that goal.  It never has in the history of human civilization, except in the case of what was envisioned by Locke, Jefferson and Madison, which basically endured for a century and a half until it was compromised by people who applied the same logic as you are in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:38:25 pm by massadvj »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
Does that exclusivity include a right to deny the sale based on the buyer's religious beliefs?

I will answer both questions with the same response.  There is no hierarchy of inalienability.  The fact that the founders numbered them is interesting but not relevant, really.  Inalienability comes from God or nature, so there really is no hierarchy.  All inalienable rights are simply that: fixed by nature, and any government attempt to compromise them is immoral.

A person's rights pertain only to him.  They begin and end with the individual.  Rights, by their very nature, do not allow anyone to compromise the rights of another person, so in your example I say absolutely it does include the right of a property owner to deny a sale based on the buyer's religious beliefs.

You very well know this, Luis.  I have read your similar arguments on subjects like immigration and found them compelling.  It appears to some of us you have a blind spot when it comes to the rights of people you don't like (ie, SoCons).

The whole point of recognizing individual rights is so that everyone gets treated equally.  Government compelling equality will never accomplish that goal.  It never has in the history of human civilization, except in the case of what was envisioned by Locke, Jefferson and Madison, which basically endured for a century and a half until it was compromised by people who applied the same logic as you are in this thread.

So then, why do you not see the Religious Freedom Restoration Act that you seem to be defending as flawed because it doesn't restore the religious rights of all?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »

goopo
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
And by the way Victor, you're right in thinking that I don't particilarly "like" SoCons, but I have no animus toward religion or religious people.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of basing secular laws on religious beliefs.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2015, 03:29:24 pm »
So then, why do you not see the Religious Freedom Restoration Act that you seem to be defending as flawed because it doesn't restore the religious rights of all?

I don't support the law because it "restores religious rights" so much as I support it because it is a step toward affirming property rights.  If I had my way, I'd get rid of any law that restricted a business owner from denying service to anyone he wanted for any reason except race (I do like the 14th amendment in spite of the fact that it has been used to justify massive government overreach).

The law is a step in the right direction.  Would I like it to be more?  Certainly. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2015, 03:38:45 pm »
I don't support the law because it "restores religious rights" so much as I support it because it is a step toward affirming property rights.  If I had my way, I'd get rid of any law that restricted a business owner from denying service to anyone he wanted for any reason except race (I do like the 14th amendment in spite of the fact that it has been used to justify massive government overreach).

The law is a step in the right direction.  Would I like it to be more?  Certainly.

I agree with pretty much all of that.  I think it would be a good idea to review the 14th Amendment, because it's been used to create a lot of harm to states' rights. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline evadR

« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2015, 03:50:16 pm »
What you said about "those people" who are happy with thing. I assume you mean LIV's, the largest block of voters who actually determine who are the winners and losers in elections. Together with the DMC (democrat-media complex) they are the problem, in a nutshell.

After two Obama wins I'm coming around to the opinion that free elections are illusory things, because the results of those elections are out of our hands, the people who pay attention. Or, put another way, the best man doesn't necessarily win.
ABSOLUTELY
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2015, 03:57:29 pm »
"either have no laws or have all laws applied equally"..or something like that.

hmmmm....IF that were the case, we would never have had affirmative action laws...would we?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:33 pm »

See, we're all willing to create exemptions to the greater ideological truisms we hold dear. Blacks can't help being black anymore than old people can help being old and women can help being women, but you seem willing to discriminate based on age and gender, but not based on race.

Here's a thought.

As Scalia and Rehnquist argued in Smith statutes as broad as Indiana's conceivably create de facto exemptions to all anti discrimination laws and statutes since there is no carve out in the law which supports the State's anti-discrimination laws, and since individuals do not have to seek the State's approval of their religious beliefs, or even justify them, anyone can refuse to render any service to anyone else and claim an exemption from anti discrimination laws based upon this statute.

Muslims don't have to sell anything to Christians and Christians don't have to sell anything to Muslims, so religious people can actually be discriminated against based on this law.

It may also be the case that atheists can refuse service to anyone they believe is a Christian. I don't know, but it seems logical.

I like Cyber Liberty's idea that a bakery could actually decide not to bake any wedding cakes for anyone, and I also like the thought that was floated yesterday in Indiana that no one could be compelled to physically participate in any event or rite that would be contrary to their religious values, meaning that photographers would not be forced to attend a same-sex wedding ceremony, and that a wedding chapel would not be forced to rent their space to a same sex couple if their belief systems were opposed to doing such things. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 04:04:57 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »

hmmmm....IF that were the case, we would never have had affirmative action laws...would we?

Yep

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2015, 04:05:16 pm »

I think "Affirmative Action" laws have caused about as much damage as laws can, because they pit people against each other, and it's by design.  As clear an example of distribution of "spoils" as there ever was.  If it can be agree some remedy is necessary for some historic and harmful discrimination, then it must be as little as possible, serves a compelling interest and sunsetted.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2015, 04:07:22 pm »
See, we're all willing to create exemptions to the greater ideological truisms we hold dear. Blacks can't help being black anymore than old people can help being old and women can help being women, but you seem willing to discriminate based on age and gender, but not based on race.

Here's a thought.

As Scalia and Rehnquist argued in Smith statutes as broad as Indiana's conceivably create de facto exemptions to all anti discrimination laws and statutes since there is no carve out in the law which supports the State's anti-discrimination laws, and since individuals do not have to seek the State's approval of their religious beliefs, or even justify them, anyone can refuse to render any service to anyone else and claim an exemption from anti discrimination laws based upon this statute.

Muslims don't have to sell anything to Christians and Christians don't have to sell anything to Muslims, so religious people can actually be discriminated against based on this law.

It may also be the case that atheists can refuse service to anyone they believe is a Christian. I don't know, but it seems logical.

I like Cyber Liberty's idea that a bakery could actually decide not to bake any wedding cakes for anyone, and I also like the thought that was floated yesterday in Indiana that no one could be compelled to physically participate in any event or rite that would be contrary to their religious values, meaning that photographers would not be forced to attend a same-sex wedding ceremony, and that a wedding chapel would not be forced to rent their space to a same sex couple if their belief systems were opposed to doing such things.

Would I like to see that happen?

Yes... so long as ALL anti discrimination laws and Statues are overturned at both the Federal and State level are overturned.

But there isn't a chance in Hell that would actually ever happen.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »
I think "Affirmative Action" laws have caused about as much damage as laws can, because they pit people against each other, and it's by design.  As clear an example of distribution of "spoils" as there ever was.  If it can be agree some remedy is necessary for some historic and harmful discrimination, then it must be as little as possible, serves a compelling interest and sunsetted.

Some of my own personal historic and harmful discrimination has recently been remedied.

I am no longer Hispanic (thanks to George Zimmerman) and I am now back to being white.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2015, 04:12:39 pm »
Thanks, Luis!  I do have a question to clarify that a bit, the part about participation.  A baker of cakes certainly does not participate at a level as intimate as a photographer (a wedding photographer is almost as central to the wedding as the minister).  Can the case be made that if the baker does not deliver the cake, or if his participation is limited to just that, the baker would not be covered under a "participation clause?"

Are we getting into the rough, and trying to decide how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin? (How's that for mashing up a couple of metaphors?) 
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »
Some of my own personal historic and harmful discrimination has recently been remedied.

I am no longer Hispanic (thanks to George Zimmerman) and I am now back to being white.

Cool!  Now can we get back to the business of blaming all the troubles in the world on you?   :bolt:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2015, 04:15:49 pm »
Thanks, Luis!  I do have a question to clarify that a bit, the part about participation.  A baker of cakes certainly does not participate at a level as intimate as a photographer (a wedding photographer is almost as central to the wedding as the minister).  Can the case be made that if the baker does not deliver the cake, or if his participation is limited to just that, the baker would not be covered under a "participation clause?"

Are we getting into the rough, and trying to decide how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin? (How's that for mashing up a couple of metaphors?)

There is also the reality that in most commercial bakeries the actual owner is not the individual either baking the cake or delivering it.

Here's something else.

If I am employed by a commercial baker, and I'm the guy that actually bakes his wedding cakes, can I be fired by my employer for refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »
Cool!  Now can we get back to the business of blaming all the troubles in the world on you?   :bolt:

Hey... my white privilege suffered through a 40-year suspension thanks To Richard Nixon.

I want some sort of a exemption for that.

Offline evadR

« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2015, 04:20:29 pm »
LOL...Back to being white.
That little temporary distinction has served its purpose.
You're back to being Hispanic, and better off for it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2015, 04:26:57 pm »

Here's something else.

A guy walks into a Christian-owned bakery and orders a large cake that says "Congratulations Neil and Bob" (yes... that's intentional). The baker looks up and says "What's the occasion" and the guy says "none of your business, I just want a cake".

Now what?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 04:27:24 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline evadR

« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2015, 04:32:54 pm »
Hey... my white privilege suffered through a 40-year suspension thanks To Richard Nixon.

You asked.......

Ring, ring, ring
"HELLO"
voice at the other end: Luis, we had an exemption for you
Luis: Great, I'll come get it.
Voice: No, you don't understand.  We HAD an exemption but you did so well on your own, we tore it up.

Luis: Shux.  There is no justice.

Offline evadR

« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »
What I don't know won't hurt me.

Bake the cake.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »

The check's in the mail!  And...Happy Holidays (whichever are the ones you observe)!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2015, 05:07:52 pm »
The check's in the mail!  And...Happy Holidays (whichever are the ones you observe)!

We do both.

We are both.