Author Topic: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law  (Read 17679 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »
Memes?

Really?

I have to go with the arrow in the quiver.  If Dan had just posted the verbiage I would have said the same thing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2015, 08:15:53 pm »
So then, if Indiana has a true Religious Freedom Restoration Act, then Mormons can engage in plural marriage and Rastafarians can smoke weed with impunity.

Right?

Wrong.
Trivia question:  Why was the 1994 RFRA passed in the first place?  (Hint:  Peyote)

What we have here is a possible violation of the Establishment Clause, since it elevates a religion above all others by giving them impunity against possible legal action stemming from his refusal to serve gay couples, yet atheists who simply don't like gays and refuse to serve them enjoy no similar protection under the law. So the law creates an inequity.

That is a good point, and I maintain if Atheism were properly understood to be a belief system, IOW a "religion," then the gays are the ones violating the law like mad.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2015, 08:22:18 pm »
Trivia question:  Why was the 1994 RFRA passed in the first place?  (Hint:  Peyote)

That is a good point, and I maintain if Atheism were properly understood to be a belief system, IOW a "religion," then the gays are the ones violating the law like mad.

Scalia and Rehnquist overturned the 1993 (not 1994) RFRA..
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2015, 08:27:02 pm »

And at the end of the day, atheist are the ones being discriminated against since they enjoy no protection for an identical act that others in the State have immunity for based on the State recognizing their standing based on religious beliefs.

From the Legal Information Institute:

The First Amendment's Establishment Clause prohibits the government from making any law “respecting an establishment of religion.” This clause not only forbids the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, or non-religion over religion.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »
Scalia and Rehnquist overturned the 1993 (not 1994) RFRA..

I defer to your superior scholarship on this.  I never much cared about it until it became a "thing" when it was determined the Federal law doesn't apply to states.  When that happened, gays with butthurt started suing good people into oblivion.  That was my point.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2015, 08:29:41 pm »
I defer to your superior scholarship on this.  I never much cared about it until it became a "thing" when it was determined the Federal law doesn't apply to states.  When that happened, gays with butthurt started suing good people into oblivion.  That was my point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/04/01/many-liberals-sensible-retreat-from-the-old-justice-brennanaclu-position-on-religious-exemptions/?postshare=2671428068605177

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2015, 08:32:18 pm »

BTW... the majority of the Bill of Rights now applies to the States by way of the Incorporation Doctrine.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2015, 08:33:00 pm »

Don't mind me.

I'm just one of those non-assimilating immigrants.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »
Don't mind me.

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:24 pm »
Don't mind me.

Don't ever "assimilate."  It'd ruin you.   :laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2015, 11:25:39 pm »
Don't ever "assimilate."  It'd ruin you.   :laugh:

Unrelated post.

Two story house on the right, about half way down the block, with the balcony.

I was born there.

Needs a paint job badly.

Or a demo crew.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2015, 11:34:35 pm »
Unrelated post.

Two story house on the right, about half way down the block, with the balcony.

I was born there.

Needs a paint job badly.

Or a demo crew.

On the balcony...?   :beer:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:43 pm »

Could be.

I've always been somewhat unconventional.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2015, 11:43:46 pm »

Or, perhaps the conception?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck