Author Topic: ‘Senior Defense Officials’ Are Undermining Army’s Prosecution of Bergdahl  (Read 1387 times)

Offline flowers

http://freebeacon.com/blog/senior-defense-officials-are-undermining-armys-prosecution-of-bergdahl/

There has been a fascinating series of tweets coming from CNN this morning regarding the Bowe Bergdahl case:

CNN’s @barbarastarrcnn has learned Bergdahl left his unit in July 2009 intending to walk to the nearest outpost to report wrongdoing.

— CNN NationalSecurity (@NatSecCNN) March 27, 2015

Bergdahl was planning to report what he believed to be problems with “order and discipline” in his unit, a senior defense official tells CNN — CNN NationalSecurity (@NatSecCNN) March 27, 2015

“This was a kid who had leadership concerns on his mind,” a second official said. “He wasn’t fed up; he wasn’t planning to desert.” — CNN NationalSecurity (@NatSecCNN) March 27, 2015

2 US DoD officials confirm why #Bergdahl says he left base. It will be matter for the miiltary justice system to decide. — Barbara Starr (@barbarastarrcnn) March 27, 2015

It could be possible to read the final tweet, from Barbara Starr, as implying that the two defense officials are only confirming for her why Bergdahl “says” he left base. But the three tweets from CNN’s National Security desk reference two defense officials who say Bergdahl walked off his post to “report what he believed to be problems with ‘order and discipline’ in his unit.” The direct quote from the “second official” reinforces the impression that he and his colleague are speaking to Starr on background, and that rather than merely reporting what Bergdahl “says,” they are endorsing a version of events that is in Bergdahl’s legal favor. Indeed, if Bergdahl “wasn’t fed up; he wasn’t planning to desert,” why is the Army charging him with desertion?

If a defense attorney were saying these things to CNN, I would have no objection. Every American accused of a crime deserves a vigorous defense, including soldiers accused of serious misdeeds on the battlefield. But this appears to be a pair of senior defense officials (the language of which implies to me that these men are likely not in uniform) promoting Bergdahl’s case, undermining the prosecution, interfering with the legal process, and calling into question the character of his platoon mates, who have been critical of Bergdahl and the Obama administration’s actions in the press.

Which is reprehensible. What is the Obama administration’s plan here, exactly? Bergdahl’s defense for abandoning his weapon and walking off his post appears to be that his unit was engaged in incompetent or even unconscionable behavior, which he felt it was his duty to report.

He will walk away from this without jail time.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Be patient...There has to be a lot of evidence against Bergdahl for General Milley in charge to defy Obama....this is just the admin trying to defend him.

Bergdahl sent his possessions home...contacted local villagers asking how to get in touch with the taliban....openly discussed deserting in front of other soldiers...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
What I don't understand is this:

If OPapaDoc is commander in chief, why couldn't he just order the military not to prosecute?  I don't have military experience myself, so this may well be a stupid question.  Can someone with a military background address it?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What I don't understand is this:

If OPapaDoc is commander in chief, why couldn't he just order the military not to prosecute?  I don't have military experience myself, so this may well be a stupid question.  Can someone with a military background address it?
I believe he could technically. Through his Sec. Def. But Obama is too clever, and wants to thread needles.

And a significant consideration, is open and notorious opposition from inside the military.

Finally Obama and his people aren't really top notch, and race has shielded him from criticism others would get.

The prosecution is probably going forward, because Obama's side felt they couldn't weather any downside of shielding him from prosecution.

The record in the end, will make Obama look very bad. But that will be the case on multiple topics.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I believe he could technically. Through his Sec. Def. But Obama is too clever, and wants to thread needles.

And a significant consideration, is open and notorious opposition from inside the military.

Finally Obama and his people aren't really top notch, and race has shielded him from criticism others would get.

The prosecution is probably going forward, because Obama's side felt they couldn't weather any downside of shielding him from prosecution.

The record in the end, will make Obama look very bad. But that will be the case on multiple topics.

Whatever happens, Obama will give Bergdahl an Executive pardon as he leaves office.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Whatever happens, Obama will give Bergdahl an Executive pardon as he leaves office.

I don't know. That would be a tough call for Hussein. On the one hand he, Berdahl, is a traitor and a Muslim sympathizer, on the other hand he is still White, and soldier.

This stuff drives Obama crazy. He does not know whether to reward the one or punish the other. This is the kind of stuff that makes Obama's head explode. He is not used to White people behaving like he would do.

If Bergdahl was Black, not only would he get a medal of honor, Obama would already have his face on the 20 dollar bill.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:21:45 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

OK.  I guess I assumed that by year 7 all the patriots and competent people would have already left, and that the current military was basically Democrat patronage.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
OK.  I guess I assumed that by year 7 all the patriots and competent people would have already left, and that the current military was basically Democrat patronage.

I guess the US Army is prosecuting the deserter, Obama's political input notwithstanding.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Not yet..I think what Obama did re Bergdahl disgusted even what's left of the Dems in the military
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34