Author Topic: Photo of Kids Climbing on Vietnam War Memorial Sparks Outrage  (Read 1829 times)

rangerrebew

Photo of Kids Climbing on Vietnam War Memorial Sparks Outrage

Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 12:20 PM

By Nick Sanchez

A photo of kids climbing on the Vietnam Women’s Memorial as military veterans look on in horror sparked outrage this week, and set off a debate about appropriate behavior at national monuments.

A photographer named Matthew Munson was visiting the National Mall recently for a day of shooting when he came upon "two little brats climbing over [a] war memorial right in front of a veteran. It was a sobering moment."

Munson snapped a photo of the incident, and later shared it on Facebook. The photo soon went viral, with many people making negative comments toward the children and the parents of the children.

In an interview with WHNT 19 News, Munson said that the kids were following the instructions of their parents.

"[A] big group of people showed up just as the kids were treating the memorial more like a jungle gym and the parents were laughing… Then the veterans showed up, and they looked hurt more than angry. They were quiet," he said.

Some online commenters said that they don't mind kids climbing on memorials, so long as they don't damage them. Others disagreed, saying it was disrespectful to climb on memorials.

After wading through hundreds of comments, Munson himself took a more nuanced approach.

"At this point I lean more towards the parents being disrespectful. Certain memorials and statues are more positive and welcoming to kids and parents expressing their freedom and good vibes; other memorials (this one) focuses (sic) on the tragedies of war and how certain groups of people played a big role in helping others recover from it," he said.

"Having children step all over a wounded warrior is not an appropriate way to express the freedom our veterans fought for, in my opinion. I think the parents should have explained to their kids the meaning of the memorial and the heroics of women involved in the crisis, and save the climbing and playing for a jungle gym."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/photo-kids-climbing-vietnam-war/2015/03/25/id/634430/#ixzz3VQ9bQPR8
 Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:50:22 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline PzLdr

Re: Photo of Kids Climbing on Vietnam War Memorial Sparks Outrage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:52:20 pm »
F*cking idiot parents! A new generation of Kardashian voters in the making!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:14 pm »
F*cking idiot parents! A new generation of Kardashian voters in the making!

Some people just can't show any respect...parents teach your children!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:32 am »
stupid parents grace us with stupid kids

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 02:48:41 am »
Are you people f*cking kidding me?  People who get their undies in a twist over this definitely don't have anything else going on in their lives.

Children are children, they aren't adults and climbing on a bronze statue that is at ground level and not blocked off is what kids do.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:25:00 am »
Are you people f*cking kidding me?  People who get their undies in a twist over this definitely don't have anything else going on in their lives.

Children are children, they aren't adults and climbing on a bronze statue that is at ground level and not blocked off is what kids do.

If you read the thread, you'll note the photographer said the kids were doing what their parents told them to do, which I assume means were acting with their parents' consent, if not encouragement. He also said the parents were laughing while the kids were climbing on the monument.

SO, no. I for one am not "f*cking kidding you". And I have quite a bit going on in my life, including remembering friends of mine who died in Viet Nam. And monuments aren't monkey bars. And if the little sh*ts couldn't figure that out, their imbecilic, nonjudgmental parents should have. And if they couldn't, you should be able to. Hope your undies aren't knotted too tightly.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:36:12 pm »

May as well convert the tomb of the unknown soldier in a jungle jim while we are at it

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »
If you read the thread, you'll note the photographer said the kids were doing what their parents told them to do, which I assume means were acting with their parents' consent, if not encouragement. He also said the parents were laughing while the kids were climbing on the monument.

SO, no. I for one am not "f*cking kidding you". And I have quite a bit going on in my life, including remembering friends of mine who died in Viet Nam. And monuments aren't monkey bars. And if the little sh*ts couldn't figure that out, their imbecilic, nonjudgmental parents should have. And if they couldn't, you should be able to. Hope your undies aren't knotted too tightly.

:patriot:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:46:45 pm »
They are kids. They'll play.

Parents need a damned good hiding though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:31 pm »
May as well convert the tomb of the unknown soldier in a jungle jim while we are at it

:thumbsup3: