Author Topic: Cruz Trolls Rand in Campaign Kickoff  (Read 676 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Cruz Trolls Rand in Campaign Kickoff
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:47:27 am »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/22/cruz-trolls-rand-in-campaign-kickoff.html

Sen. Ted Cruz will not only become the first person to officially enter the 2016 race to the White House on Monday—he will also formally kick off a new rivalry: Cruz v. Paul.

When the Texas Republican launches his campaign for president at Liberty University, he will do so ahead of an upcoming electoral confrontation with Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul.

Cruz and Paul are vying for the same post—the insurgent Republican frontrunner—who will eventually face off against the more “establishment” candidates such as former Florida governor Jeb Bush.

But there’s s a sense of mischievousness to Cruz’s timing: advisers close to Paul leaked a presidential campaign launch date in the first week of April.

By announcing Monday, Cruz becomes the first Republican candidate formally running for his party’s presidential nomination—allowing him a couple weeks of peerless press and fundraising.

It is hard to imagine this as an accident.

Cruz’s campaign strategy, at least in its early stages, has been meticulously planned. Indeed, very little in Cruzworld happens by accident. It remains to be seen, however, whether the senator can maintain his control over the process during a hectic presidential campaign.

The Texas Tea Party firebrand is a man who often writes his own press releases. He admits to checking his phone’s Twitter app obsessively to test the pulse of the public.

(Earlier this month, I tweeted that The Washington Post’s Fact Checker had been less than fair in its evaluation of a Cruz quote. In the Capitol the next day, the senator came up to me and said he enjoyed the tweet.)

The Cruz strategy will not include aggressive, direct attacks on Paul. Instead, the Texan’s strategy will be passive aggressive: Cruz will praise his opponents on the issues they have common ground on, while the real criticism will be left unspoken and implied.

Behind the scenes, the personal relationships between Cruz’s and Paul’s offices have deteriorated as the presidential campaigns draw nearer.

The setting of his announcement Monday morning, Liberty University, the largest evangelical Christian university in the world, is also telling.

While Cruz is willing to cede hardcore libertarians to Paul (some of whom are starting to become disenchanted with the Kentucky senator), he’ll be targeting the conservatives with libertarian instincts who identify positively with the Tea Party movement.

However, the president of Liberty University, Jerry Falwell Jr., has had some nice things to say about Paul in the past: in 2013, Falwell said of Paul, “especially after meeting him this morning, the more I thought to myself, ‘I sure hope he runs for president.’”

Cruz and Paul have always had a sort of frienemies relationship in the Senate.

When Paul held a drone filibuster in 2013, Cruz came to the Senate floor to show support. And Paul supported Cruz when the Texas senator filibustered on Obamacare later that year.

Behind the scenes, however, the personal relationships between Cruz’s and Paul’s offices have deteriorated as the presidential campaigns draw nearer. In Cruzworld, there is a belief that Paul’s staff has a sense of entitlement, that they feel that their senator was the insurgent candidate first.

It’s just not Cruz’s style to take on Paul directly—and it would be a bit hypocritical to start now. The Texas senator is fond of asking reporters whether they’ve ever heard him launch an unkind, personal attack on a fellow Republican (unless that Republican is named “John McCain” or “Mitt  Romney”).

On midterm election night in Austin, Cruz told The Daily Beast, “An awful lot of folks in the media like to focus on internal politics in Washington, on the jockeying of one politician versus another. In my view, most Americans could not care less about politicians in Washington bickering.”

One example of how that fight plays out is the differing opinions Paul and Cruz had on NSA reform. Cruz was a co-sponsor of a NSA surveillance reform bill that made incremental reforms to the surveillance agency, while Paul played a role in sinking the bill in November, arguing that it didn’t go far enough.

The maneuver put Cruz between Republican hawks, who want the NSA to maintain its existing surveillance capabilities, and Paul, who was insistent that more could be done to curtail the agency—even at the risk of getting no reforms at all.

And that’s exactly where Cruz wants to be.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Cruz Trolls Rand in Campaign Kickoff
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:06:52 am »
I'm already sick of these two.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:43 am »
I'm already sick of these two.

Not as sick as I am of Jeb...I was so glad to get rid of him as governor and the last things this country needs is another RINO loser.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:40:29 am »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/03/22/ted-cruz-is-planning-to-take-the-white-house-and-hes-about-to-pull-a-move-that-leapfrogs-the-competition/

Ted Cruz Is Planning to Take the White House — and He’s About to Pull a Move That Leapfrogs the Competition
Mar. 22, 2015 7:59am Zach Noble   

He’s going to skip the exploratory committee and go straight for the jugular.

Ted Cruz plans to run for president.

The Houston Chronicle broke the news just before midnight Saturday evening, citing senior advisers speaking on the condition of anonymity who said that Cruz, the Texas Tea Party Republican elected to the U.S. Senate in 2012, would pursue the presidency.

The announcement would make Cruz the first Republican to officially declare his candidacy.

Cruz will announced his candidacy at a convocation ceremony at Liberty University in Virginia, the Chronicle reported.

The senior advisers cited by the Chronicle said Cruz aims to raise some $40 to $50 million, and he will run as an unabashedly conservative candidate, in contrast to the “mushy middle” Republicans he’s criticized in the past.

Cruz has strong support among the conservative base, as several high-profile polls have shown.

In a Drudge Report poll released at the beginning of February, Cruz took the No. 2 spot among likely presidential contenders, behind Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. In the 2015 Conservative Political Action Conference straw poll at the end of February, Cruz came in third behind Walker and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 04:28:56 am »
Not as sick as I am of Jeb...I was so glad to get rid of him as governor and the last things this country needs is another Rhinocerotidae loser.
You were so glad to be rid of Jeb Bush, to get Charlie Crist?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln