Author Topic: Cruz to announce White House bid Monday  (Read 11480 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz to announce White House bid Monday
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:59:10 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/236545-report-cruz-to-announce-white-house-bid-monday

March 22, 2015, 07:39 am
Cruz to announce White House bid Monday
By Kyle Balluck

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) will announce a presidential campaign on Monday, according to multiple reports.

The Houston Chronicle quotes unidentified senior Cruz advisers, who said he will launch a bid for the White House outright instead of forming an exploratory committee.

Those advisers told the Chronicle that Cruz plans to raise as much as $50 million during the primary, adding that the key to success is cobbling together a coalition of tea party voters, libertarians and social conservatives.
Cruz’s Monday speech at Liberty University stirred speculation about a possible presidential announcement.

Reporters are being encouraged to attend what they’re billing as a major address at the evangelical school about 150 miles from Washington, D.C.

GOP hopefuls have frequently made stops to speak to the evangelical base of the party at the conservative college, founded by the late Jerry Falwell.

The first-term Texas senator, who has long been expected to run for the White House, has been making frequent visits to early states. Other likely rivals, including Sens. Rand Paul (Ky.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.), are also expected to announce in the next month.

Cruz's announcement would make him the GOP’s first formal candidate for the White House in 2016,  which could be the most crowded field of Republican presidential candidates in recent memory.

The Texas lawmaker would likely face former first lady Hillary Clinton as his Democratic opponent should he win his party’s nomination. Other possible Democratic competitors include Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and former Gov. Martin O’Malley (Md.)

Cruz possibly tipped his hand on his White House intentions earlier this month when he announced the release of his latest book.

HarperCollins Publishers is scheduled to publish "A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Miracle of America" on June 30.

The Texas lawmaker said on March 5 that potential themes for a presidential campaign are “certainly reflected” in the upcoming text.

Cruz first entered Congress on a wave of Tea Party support in 2012. He defeated then-Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst in a GOP senatorial primary after former Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson announced she would not seek reelection.

The Texas lawmaker soon entered the public eye during the 2013 government shutdown. Cruz earned national attention by orchestrating the incident in an attempt to delay or defund ObamaCare.

The move was beloved by the Tea Party faithful, but put Cruz at odds with many Democrats and even members of his own party.

Cruz has also criticized President Obama’s negotiations with Iran in recent months. The President hopes Tehran will slow or stop its nuclear weapons research in exchange for reducing sanctions.

“One of the things that’s always been missing from the Obama-Clinton-Kerry doctrine of foreign policy is the understanding that weakness is provocative,” Cruz said March 14 at the South Carolina National Security Action Summit in West Columbia, S.C.

Obama’s Iran strategy, Cruz added, needs “more stick” and less “carrots.”

The Texas lawmaker was one of 47 GOP senators who sent a controversial open letter to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, earlier this month.

It vowed Congress could void any nuclear deal with his government it found unsatisfying.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Cruz to announce White House bid Monday
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/236549-mccain-cruz-a-viable-candidate

March 22, 2015, 09:39 am
McCain: Cruz a viable candidate
By Jesse Byrnes

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) offered his colleague Sen. Ted Cruz a non-endorsement on the eve of the Texas Republican's expected presidential launch.

"He is a valued member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, him and I are friendly and I think he is a very viable candidate," McCain, the chairman of the committee, said on CNN's "State of the Union."
And if Cruz ultimately wins the nomination, he could beat Hillary Clinton and go all the way in 2016, McCain suggested.

But McCain pointed out his deepest support remains with his friend and potential 2016 Republican presidential contender, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

"Lindsey Graham is the one I think knows best about national security," McCain said.

Cruz is expected to announce his White House bid Monday during a speech at the evangelical Liberty University.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »

Cruz is a man of integrity and courage, I hope he does well!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:06:04 pm by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:20:20 pm »

This should not be taken as an attack on Cruz, which it probably will. It's just a general commentary.

When politicking from a minority position in Congress, people like Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, and Ted Cruz are free to stand and talk about their ideology at will because they stand veritably no chance of actually being in a position where they would have o deliver the sorts of changes that they say are needed in the government, short of going the "pen and phone" route that Obama is taking. Personally, I don't want any President to go that route, even one that I support.

Most people tend to believe that politics is the natural extension of a politician's rhetorical ability.

That's rare.

Abraham Lincoln rare.

Politics is the art of the possible.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:05:08 pm »
This should not be taken as an attack on Cruz, which it probably will. It's just a general commentary.

When politicking from a minority position in Congress, people like Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, and Ted Cruz are free to stand and talk about their ideology at will because they stand veritably no chance of actually being in a position where they would have o deliver the sorts of changes that they say are needed in the government, short of going the "pen and phone" route that Obama is taking. Personally, I don't want any President to go that route, even one that I support.

Most people tend to believe that politics is the natural extension of a politician's rhetorical ability.

That's rare.

Abraham Lincoln rare.

Politics is the art of the possible.

Interesting that you feel that neither Ted Cruz nor Ron Paul have made any changes that they say are needed.  They have made changes to the government limited to their positions.  Ted Cruz will make an excellent president and I anticipate he's going to shake Washington up a lot more than he already has.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 04:08:53 pm »

Absolutely.  I think that he will run and perhaps even 3rd party. The article states that he never formed an "exploratory" committee and he is definitely courageous enough to do so.  Either way, my hunch is he already has the financial backing.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:11:20 pm »
Absolutely.  I think that he will run and perhaps even 3rd party. The article states that he never formed an "exploratory" committee and he is definitely courageous enough to do so.  Either way, my hunch is he already has the financial backing.

If he runs 3rd Party he will guarantee a Democrat in the White House.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 04:11:58 pm »
Interesting that you feel that neither Ted Cruz nor Ron Paul have made any changes that they say are needed.  They have made changes to the government limited to their positions. Ted Cruz will make an excellent president and I anticipate he's going to shake Washington up a lot more than he already has.

List them.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 04:48:32 pm »
If he runs 3rd Party he will guarantee a Democrat in the White House.

That is where you and I strongly disagree.  If he runs 3rd party I think it would pretty much guarantee him the presidency. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »
That is where you and I strongly disagree.  If he runs 3rd party I think it would pretty much guarantee him the presidency.

The problem at this point is that third parties are highly dysfunctional in their leadership and business operations. It isn't just about popularity, there has to be a machine of lawyers and accountants ensuring that all the proper forms are filled out, all filing deadlines are met, and the candidates and parties keep with FEC compliance. This is one of the real reasons third parties often fail miserably. Even the Libertarian party which should have an established operating structure to meet these, often fail to meet minimal filing requirements (then blame a conspiracy against them for it).

Political parties are far more than people voting - they are a business to rival the largest Fortune 500 businesses, and such, they need a similar structure to navigate the finances and legalities of it.

Cruz could have a massive popular support as a third party candidate, but if that party can't even file correctly to get him on the ballot, then it is tilting at windmills.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 05:02:45 pm »
The problem at this point is that third parties are highly dysfunctional in their leadership and business operations. It isn't just about popularity, there has to be a machine of lawyers and accountants ensuring that all the proper forms are filled out, all filing deadlines are met, and the candidates and parties keep with FEC compliance. This is one of the real reasons third parties often fail miserably. Even the Libertarian party which should have an established operating structure to meet these, often fail to meet minimal filing requirements (then blame a conspiracy against them for it).

Political parties are far more than people voting - they are a business to rival the largest Fortune 500 businesses, and such, they need a similar structure to navigate the finances and legalities of it.

Cruz could have a massive popular support as a third party candidate, but if that party can't even file correctly to get him on the ballot, then it is tilting at windmills.

I am well aware that political parties are far more than people voting. No there isn't a conspiracy against them, however, candidates have to "qualify" in all 50 states.  Different states have different qualifying requirements.  Those requirements are different for third party candidates then they are for Republicans and Democrats. I am of the opinion that both parties make it very difficult for a 3rd party candidate; for example Ron Paul was not invited to debate and actually had to fight in court in order to do so. I am not saying that Cruz is definitely running 3rd party all I am saying is that if there was ever a candidate who could pull it off it would be him.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 06:00:41 pm »
I like Senator Cruz, but .... not this time around, Ted...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 06:14:46 pm »
Will somebody put up  a list of the 3rd party personnel in the House out of 435?

Senate (Sanders, ?)

Governors (Maine)

Short list, isn't it?

Reality vs. Rhetoric.

Probability vs. Pontification.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 06:26:15 pm »
List them.
Yes please someone list any of Senator Cruz's accomplishments.  I can't think of any.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

I guarantee Ted Cruz will not run third party.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 06:39:18 pm »
Will somebody put up  a list of the 3rd party personnel in the House out of 435?

Senate (Sanders, ?)

Governors (Maine)

Short list, isn't it?

Reality vs. Rhetoric.

Probability vs. Pontification.

It's about momentum Truth Seeker. If third parties became something people were actually taking seriously there would be a larger pool of good candidates to vote for. Politicians that want to win won't run third party because they know the powers that be have convinced everybody it is a waste.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 07:00:37 pm »
It's about momentum Truth Seeker. If third parties became something people were actually taking seriously there would be a larger pool of good candidates to vote for. Politicians that want to win won't run third party because they know the powers that be have convinced everybody it is a waste.
You too seem to be math and logic challenged. Pragmatic results oriented people have learned from Perot 1992, which was 23 years ago. Buchanan 2000 was 15 years ago.

Before in 1980 the GOP had John Anderson vs. Reagan. 35 years ago. George Wallace, 1972 43 years ago.

In Florida in 2000 the Buchanan candidacy most certainly made the Bush win more difficult.

From the other side, democrats ought to be furious that Nader deprived algore from victory.

So I encourage the left to put forth as many 3rd and 4th party goofballs as their heart's content.

And for the GOP to put forth none whatsoever.

Third party candidates are mostly goofballs. It is hard work to research and learn facts from history.

Try it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 07:10:18 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/236557-calif-governor-cruz-unfit-to-be-running-for-office

March 22, 2015, 11:30 am
Calif. governor: Cruz 'unfit' to be running for office
By David McCabe

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who is expected to declare his intention to run for president on Monday, is "absolutely unfit" to run for office because of his views on climate change, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) said Sunday.

Brown was asked on NBC's "Meet The Press" about Cruz's comments on "Late Night With Seth Meyers" that "many of the alarmists on global warming, they've got a problem, because the science doesn't back them up."

"What he said is absolutely false," Brown said — adding that the vast majority of climate scientists believe that climate change is man-made. He said that climate change had contributed to both California's drought and record snowfalls in parts of the Northeast.

"So, it’s climate disruption of many different kinds," Brown added. "And that man betokens such a level of ignorance and a direct falsification of scientific data. It’s shocking and I think that man has rendered himself absolutely unfit to be running for office."

Brown also said that if he were 10 years younger, he might be running for president himself.

Cruz is reportedly planning to announce he is running for president in 2016 during a Monday appearance at Virginia's Liberty University. He is expected to run by courting the party's conservative base instead of trying to become the first choice of moderate voters.
Support the USO

Offline Dexter

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 07:14:16 pm »
You too seem to be math and logic challenged. Pragmatic results oriented people have learned from Perot 1992, which was 23 years ago. Buchanan 2000 was 15 years ago.

Before in 1980 the GOP had John Anderson vs. Reagan. 35 years ago. George Wallace, 1972 43 years ago.

In Florida in 2000 the Buchanan candidacy most certainly made the Bush win more difficult.

From the other side, democrats ought to be furious that Nader deprived algore from victory.

So I encourage the left to put forth as many 3rd and 4th party goofballs as their heart's content.

And for the GOP to put forth none whatsoever.

Third party candidates are mostly goofballs. It is hard work to research and learn facts from history.

Try it.

I was 3 years old in 1992 so maybe I just don't have the life experience necessary to resign myself to an ineffective two party system.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 07:28:44 pm »
I was 3 years old in 1992 so maybe I just don't have the life experience necessary to resign myself to an ineffective two party system.
And I was 24 years old in 1972, my first chance to vote. So I've seen several iterations of various political plots.

One such plot was 1972 itself. I was out of the Army from being drafted with a wife and child. Back to work, and back to college. Anti-Vietnam like so many young people of the day.

And I had the political gene, so I decided I would work for McGovern. Mind you I'm a veteran, solid working citizen, etc. I walk a precinct on election day, and was astounded that people weren't all just thrilled with McGovern.

Later that night, I watched the election returns come in and political reality took a firm foothold in my mind. I realized that things I "felt" or "thought" in my mind were NOT reality.

Within four years, I returned to my family roots, and have been a slid Republican, pragmatic, informed, results oriented.

Locally I have been in the trenches, on the conservative wing of the GOP here. And have influenced conservative wins.

The big money in the GOP is not interested in being wasted. Big money wants wins. Don't bet against it.

So the sweet spot is a convergence of truly good candidates, and big money.

The 3rd party gambit usually misses on both counts.

Riddle me this, 3rd party wizards: If 3rd parties are so great, why didn't Reagan go that route?

Answer: Reagan was an informed, pragmatic student of history and of reality, who wanted to actually influence the results, and did so by avoiding distractions, or seeking to promote merely himself. He promoted his ideas on the MAIN STAGE.

The two party system gave us Reagan.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 07:37:47 pm »
Yes please someone list any of Senator Cruz's accomplishments.  I can't think of any.
List any senator's accomplishments, for that matter, but first define what truly is an "accomplishment" for a legislator. Is it the number and/or nature of bills sponsored? If so, then Cruz's are listed here. What did Obama ever accomplish as a senator (considering he usually didn't bother to vote)?

And that's why I generally prefer a former governor as president, because he or she has done something more than debate and pass laws.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »

To start, just the bills he has sponsored or written which actually is a better list than most who have run for President (successfully) for the amount of time involved. He hit the ground running (this is just part 1 and doesn't even get into other congressional and non-congressional experience):

1. S.177 : ObamaCare Repeal Act
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 1/29/2013)      Cosponsors (41)
Latest Major Action: 1/30/2013 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 9.

2. S.505 : A bill to prohibit the use of drones to kill citizens of the United States within the United States.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/7/2013)      Cosponsors (4)
Latest Major Action: 3/11/2013 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 22.

3. S.729 : Disarm Criminals and Protect Communities Act
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 4/15/2013)      Cosponsors (10)
Latest Major Action: 4/16/2013 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 39.

4. S.730 : Firearm Straw Purchasing and Trafficking Prevention Act
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 4/15/2013)      Cosponsors (1)
Latest Major Action: 4/16/2013 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 40.

5. S.1292 : Defund Obamacare Act of 2013
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/11/2013)      Cosponsors (32)
Latest Major Action: 7/16/2013 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 135.

6. S.1336 : A bill to amend the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 to permit States to require proof of citizenship for registration to vote in elections for Federal office.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/18/2013)      Cosponsors (10)
Latest Major Action: 7/18/2013 Introduced in the Senate. Read twice. Ordered Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 144.

7. S.1594 : A bill to designate the United States courthouse located at 101 East Pecan Street in Sherman, Texas, as the Paul Brown United States Courthouse.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 10/29/2013)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Environment and Public Works
Latest Major Action: 10/29/2013 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.
Note: For further action, see H.R.185 , which became Public Law 113-58 on 12/20/2013.

8. S.1661 : A bill to require the Secretary of State to offer rewards of up to $5,000,000 for information regarding the attacks on the United States diplomatic mission at Benghazi, Libya that began on September 11, 2012.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 11/7/2013)      Cosponsors (5)
Latest Major Action: 11/12/2013 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 242.

9. S.2024 : State Marriage Defense Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 2/12/2014)      Cosponsors (10)
Latest Major Action: 2/24/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 308.

10. S.2066 : A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the intentional discrimination of a person or organization by an employee of the Internal Revenue Service.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 2/27/2014)      Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 3/3/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 311.

11. S.2067 : A bill to prohibit the Department of the Treasury from assigning tax statuses to organizations based on their political beliefs and activities.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 2/27/2014)      Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 3/3/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 312.

12. S.2072 : A bill to prohibit the Department of the Treasury from assigning tax statuses to organizations based on their political beliefs and activities.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 2/27/2014)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Finance
Latest Major Action: 2/27/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.

13. S.2073 : A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the intentional discrimination of a person or organization by an employee of the Internal Revenue Service.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 2/27/2014)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Judiciary
Latest Major Action: 2/27/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

14. S.2170 : American Energy Renaissance Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/27/2014)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Energy and Natural Resources
Latest Major Action: 3/27/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

15. S.2195 : A bill to deny admission to the United States to any representative to the United Nations who has been found to have been engaged in espionage activities or a terrorist activity against the United States and poses a threat to United States national security interests.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 4/1/2014)      Cosponsors (6)
Committees: Senate Judiciary; House Judiciary
Latest Major Action: Became Public Law No: 113-100 [GPO: Text, PDF]

16. S.2415 : SuperPAC Elimination Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/3/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Rules and Administration
Latest Major Action: 6/3/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Rules and Administration.

17. S.2416 : Free All Speech Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/3/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation
Latest Major Action: 6/3/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

18. S.2510 : Guantanamo Bay Detainee Transfer Suspension Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/19/2014)      Cosponsors (3)
Committees: Senate Armed Services
Latest Major Action: 6/19/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services.

19. S.2577 : A bill to require the Secretary of State to offer rewards totaling up to $5,000,000 for information on the kidnapping and murder of Naftali Fraenkel, a dual United States-Israeli citizen, that began on June 12, 2014.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/9/2014)      Cosponsors (2)
Committees: Senate Foreign Relations; House Foreign Affairs
Senate Reports: 113-213
Latest Major Action: 7/30/2014 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

20. S.2579 : A bill to require the Secretary of State to offer rewards totaling up to $5,000,000 for information on the kidnapping and murder of Naftali Fraenkel, a dual United States-Israeli citizen, that began on June 12, 2014.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/9/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 7/10/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 460.

21. S.2631 : A bill to prevent the expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program unlawfully created by Executive memorandum on August 15, 2012.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/17/2014)      Cosponsors (8)
Latest Major Action: 7/21/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 473.

22. S.2666 : Protect Children and Families Through the Rule of Law Act
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/24/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 7/28/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 491.

23. S.2672 : Sanction Iran, Safeguard America Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/28/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Latest Major Action: 7/28/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.

24. S.2779 : Expatriate Terrorists Act
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/8/2014)      Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 9/9/2014 Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 554.

25. S.2965 : Operation United Assistance Tax Exclusion Act of 2014
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 11/20/2014)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Finance
Latest Major Action: 11/20/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.

26. S.J.RES.23 : A joint resolution making continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2014, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 10/2/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Appropriations
Latest Major Action: 10/2/2013 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Appropriations.

27. S.CON.RES.41 : A concurrent resolution denouncing the use of civilians as human shields by Hamas and other terrorist organizations in violation of international humanitarian law.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/24/2014)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Foreign Relations
Latest Major Action: 7/24/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations.

28. S.RES.225 : A resolution to express the sense of the Senate that Congress should establish a joint select committee to investigate and report on the attack on the United States diplomatic facility and American personnel in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/12/2013)      Cosponsors (25)
Committees: Senate Rules and Administration
Latest Major Action: 9/12/2013 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Rules and Administration.

29. S.RES.252 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate on steps the Government of Iran must take before President Obama meets with the President of Iran.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/24/2013)      Cosponsors (1)
Latest Major Action: 9/24/2013 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations.

30. S.RES.328 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate on steps the Government of Iran must take before further bilateral negotiations between the Government of Iran and the United States Government occur.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 1/6/2014)      Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 1/6/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations.

31. S.RES.482 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that the area between the intersections of International Drive, Northwest Van Ness Street, Northwest International Drive, Northwest and International Place, Northwest in Washington, District of Columbia, should be designated as "Liu Xiaobo Plaza".
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/24/2014)      Cosponsors (1)
Committees: Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Latest Major Action: 6/24/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

32. S.RES.487 : A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr. should appoint a special counsel or prosecutor to investigate the targeting of conservative nonprofit groups by the Internal Revenue Service.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/26/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Judiciary
Latest Major Action: 6/26/2014 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

33. S.AMDT.30 to H.R.933 To prohibit the use of funds to carry out the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/12/2013)      Cosponsors (20)
Latest Major Action: 3/13/2013 Senate amendment not agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 30 not agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 45 - 52. Record Vote Number: 34.

34. S.AMDT.199 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/20/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 3/20/2013 Senate amendment submitted

35. S.AMDT.200 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

36. S.AMDT.201 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

37. S.AMDT.202 to S.CON.RES.8 To establish a deficit-neutral reserve fund to provide for the repeal of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 and to encourage patient-centered reforms to improve health outcomes and reduce health care costs, promoting economic growth.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/20/2013)      Cosponsors (10)
Latest Major Action: 3/22/2013 Senate amendment not agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 202 not agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 45 - 54. Record Vote Number: 51.

38. S.AMDT.467 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/21/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 3/21/2013 Senate amendment submitted

39. S.AMDT.468 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

40. S.AMDT.469 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

41. S.AMDT.470 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

42. S.AMDT.471 to S.CON.RES.8 To establish a deficit-neutral reserve fund to reduce foreign assistance to Egypt and increase funding for an east coast missile defense shield.
Latest Major Action: 3/23/2013 Senate amendment not agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 471 not agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 25 - 74. Record Vote Number: 85.

43. S.AMDT.472 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

44. S.AMDT.473 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

45. S.AMDT.507 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

46. S.AMDT.508 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

47. S.AMDT.601 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 3/22/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 3/22/2013 Senate amendment submitted

48. S.AMDT.602 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

49. S.AMDT.701 to S.CON.RES.8 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

50. S.AMDT.702 to S.CON.RES.8 To create a point of order against any legislation that would provide taxpayer funds to the United Nations while any member nation forces citizens or residents of that nation to undergo involuntary abortions.
Latest Major Action: 3/23/2013 Senate amendment not agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 702 not agreed to in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 38 - 61. Record Vote Number: 86.

51. S.AMDT.1083 to S.954 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 5/22/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 5/22/2013 Senate amendment submitted

52. S.AMDT.1084 to S.954 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

53. S.AMDT.1085 to S.954 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

54. S.AMDT.1295 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/17/2013)      Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 6/17/2013 Senate amendment submitted

55. S.AMDT.1320 to S.744 To replace title I of the bill with specific border security requirements, which shall be met before the Secretary of Homeland Security may process applications for registered immigrant status or blue card status and to avoid Department of Homeland Security budget reductions.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/18/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 6/27/2013 Amendment SA 1320 ruled out of order by the chair.

56. S.AMDT.1321 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Latest Major Action: 6/18/2013 Senate amendment submitted

57. S.AMDT.1322 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

58. S.AMDT.1323 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

59. S.AMDT.1324 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

60. S.AMDT.1325 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

61. S.AMDT.1326 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

62. S.AMDT.1482 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/20/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 6/20/2013 Senate amendment submitted

63. S.AMDT.1579 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/24/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 6/24/2013 Senate amendment submitted

64. S.AMDT.1580 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/24/2013)      Cosponsors (2)

65. S.AMDT.1581 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

66. S.AMDT.1582 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

67. S.AMDT.1583 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

68. S.AMDT.1584 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

69. S.AMDT.1585 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

70. S.AMDT.1586 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

71. S.AMDT.1587 to S.744 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

72. S.AMDT.2076 to S.1197 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 11/18/2013)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 11/18/2013 Senate amendment submitted

73. S.AMDT.2077 to S.1197 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 11/18/2013)      Cosponsors (3)

74. S.AMDT.2094 to S.1197 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 11/18/2013)      Cosponsors (None)

75. S.AMDT.2511 to S.1197 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 11/21/2013)      Cosponsors (1)
Latest Major Action: 11/21/2013 Senate amendment submitted

76. S.AMDT.2685 to H.R.3547 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 1/16/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 1/16/2014 Senate amendment submitted

77. S.AMDT.2686 to H.R.3547 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

78. S.AMDT.2687 to H.R.3547 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

79. S.AMDT.2960 to S.2195 To make a technical amendment.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 4/7/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/7/2014 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 2960 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

80. S.AMDT.2961 to S.2195 To amend the title.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 4/7/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/7/2014 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 2961 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

81. S.AMDT.2972 to S.2223 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 4/29/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 4/29/2014 Senate amendment submitted

82. S.AMDT.2976 to S.2262 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 5/5/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 5/5/2014 Senate amendment submitted

83. S.AMDT.3345 to H.R.4660 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 6/19/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 6/19/2014 Senate amendment submitted

84. S.AMDT.3346 to H.R.4660 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

85. S.AMDT.3347 to H.R.4660 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

86. S.AMDT.3456 to S.2363 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/8/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 7/8/2014 Senate amendment submitted

87. S.AMDT.3457 to S.2363 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/8/2014)      Cosponsors (1)

88. S.AMDT.3458 to S.2363 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/8/2014)      Cosponsors (2)

89. S.AMDT.3606 to S.2569 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/23/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 7/23/2014 Senate amendment submitted

90. S.AMDT.3720 to S.2648 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 7/30/2014)      Cosponsors (7)
Latest Major Action: 7/30/2014 Senate amendment submitted

91. S.AMDT.3790 to S.J.RES.19 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/10/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 9/10/2014 Senate amendment submitted

92. S.AMDT.3832 to S.2410 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/17/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 9/17/2014 Senate amendment submitted

93. S.AMDT.3857 to H.J.RES.124 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/18/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 9/18/2014 Senate amendment submitted

94. S.AMDT.3858 to H.J.RES.124 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

95. S.AMDT.3859 to H.J.RES.124 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 9/18/2014)      Cosponsors (1)

96. S.AMDT.3860 to H.J.RES.124 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.

97. S.AMDT.3992 to H.R.3979 Purpose will be available when the amendment is proposed for consideration. See Congressional Record for text.
Sponsor: Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] (introduced 12/9/2014)      Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 12/9/2014 Senate amendment submitted

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 07:52:28 pm »

Part 2 --

Cruz is no stranger to the nation’s highest court. As the solicitor general of Texas, he found himself arguing some of the most consequential cases of the last decade. On his Senate webpage, he lists six cases that established “landmark national victories”:

U.S. sovereignty against the United Nations and the World Court in Medellin v. Texas;
    The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms;
    The constitutionality of the Texas Ten Commandments monument;
    The constitutionality of the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance;
    The constitutionality of the Texas Sexually Violent Predator Civil Commitment law; and
    The Texas congressional redistricting plan.

Cruz has filed more than 80 briefs in Supreme Court cases, including one defending Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties. Sens. John Cornyn (R–Texas), Mike Lee (R –Utah) and David Vitter (R–La.), also signed that amicus brief.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/03/25/ted-cruz-urges-supreme-court-stand-americans-first-amendment-rights/

...more to come...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:53:26 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 07:57:40 pm »
Thanks AbaraXas.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!