Author Topic: Spineless Moderates  (Read 550 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Spineless Moderates
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:20:22 pm »
This was written quite awhile ago and almost a year before the mid term elections.  I tend to agree that the GOPe is over; especially since they don't seem to be able to rein in this president, nor fulfill any of their promises.  As for a 3rd party, not so sure that TEA will actually become a Party, but certainly the time is right. There certainly are a lot of disgruntled DEMS, and a lot of disgruntled REPS. 

Tea Party secedes: The GOP civil war is over, and so is the GOP
The Republicans are two different parties now -- how long will it be before the Tea Party becomes a third party?

..." The Republican Party today is, as Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein put it, “an insurgent outlier in American politics … ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.” But, to borrow the title of Mann and Ornstein’s recent book, it’s even worse than it looks. There’s the Tea Party and then there’s a rump of spineless moderates. The GOP, quite simply, has been split in two.

This division has been evident for some time, but the recent squabbling over the government shutdown has put the internal discord in sharp relief. We’ve become accustomed to Speaker Boehner’s flailing attempts to corral his Tea Party faction; and we’ve seen the sad spectacle of this ostensible leader of his party taking his orders almost exclusively from the most harebrained and hard-line members. What’s genuinely new, and far more consequential, is a recent New York Times report finding that even big business — including Wall Street! — is itself unable to force Tea Party members to fall in line...

...In truth, Neugebauer and his ilk likely care more about reelection than their big talk lets on. But that’s where another element of the Tea Party’s party-within-the-party comes into focus: namely, the alternative funding infrastructure that, once again, big business initially did so much to create. Think of all the organizations, overflowing with Koch brothers money, that support the Tea Party. There’s Americans for Prosperity, there’s FreedomWorks, there’s Heritage Action. Even if these organizations lost their funding from Wall Street or the Chamber of Commerce, they could rely on donations from the Tea Party base, the vast mass of conservative voters and activists throughout the country who don’t share a scintilla of big business’s fondness for the status quo....

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/11/tea_party_secedes_the_gop_civil_war_is_over_and_so_is_the_gop/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:21:14 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Oceander

Re: Spineless Moderates
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:38:38 pm »
Ross Perot,

Ralph Nader,

You know what you do when you vote for a third party?  You vote for the other party you claim to oppose.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:40:11 pm »
Ross Perot,

Ralph Nader,

You know what you do when you vote for a third party?  You vote for the other party you claim to oppose.

yep.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:32:05 am »
Ross Perot,

Ralph Nader,

It's that mindset that keeps us voting for the lesser of two evils.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 03:10:44 am »
It's that mindset that keeps us voting for the lesser of two evils.
Yes.  You see yourself as opposed to both the GOP and the rats.  Good luck changing the world.

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."
—Confucius