Author Topic: Netanyahu Flip Flop: I Want a Two-State Solution  (Read 922 times)

Offline flowers

Netanyahu Flip Flop: I Want a Two-State Solution
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:47:57 pm »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/192891

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has retracted his pre-election statements, according to which he would not allow a Palestinian state to be established.

"I don't want a one-state solution. I want a sustainable, peaceful two-state solution," Netanyahu said Thursday in an interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell. "I haven't changed my policy."

Netanyahu said his earlier comments were a reflection of changing conditions on the Palestinian side, pointing to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas's pact to form a unity government with Hamas, which Israel, the U.S. and most European countries consider a terrorist organization.

"I'm talking about what is achievable and what is not achievable," Netanyahu said Thursday, insisting that he would support a demilitarized Palestinian state under a plan that would ensure Israel's security.
On Sunday, Netanyahu told Arutz Sheva that his 2009 speech at Bar Ilan University, in which he voiced support for a demilitarized Palestinian state, is no longer relevant. "That was said at the time when the Middle East was in a different place... but right now I say - the Middle East has changed," he declared, pointing to the so-called "Arab spring", which he said had become an "Islamist Winter."

Netanyahu had told Arutz Sheva on election day that Arab voters are being brought to the polling booths en masse by V-15 and other NGOs funded from abroad. “We do not have NGOs,” he said. “We do not have V-15, we have 'tzav 8' [as the orders calling up soldiers to the battlefield are called – ed.]. We have

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Netanyahu Flip Flop: I Want a Two-State Solution
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:00:34 pm »
Hmm... :pondering:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:33:47 pm »
"I'm talking about what is achievable and what is not achievable," Netanyahu said Thursday,

Not really a flip-flop. He wants a two-state solution, but recognizes it's not viable with Hamas as a partner to Fatah.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:36:58 pm »
You've got to be kidding with that headline. Netanyahu didn't flip.

What he did is called responsible negotiating, reacting to a changing set of conditions.

He's trying to protect Israel's continued existence. This is no game here.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:43:22 pm »
LOL.......so Bibi told Obama.........you want your two state solution you can have your two state solution.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/World/GlobalTalk/Israel-vote-US-Netanyahu/2015/03/19/id/631199/

Palestinians Must Hold 'Genuine' Peace Talks: Netanyahu

Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 01:11 PM

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that the Palestinian Authority should cut its ties to Hamas militants running the Gaza Strip and engage in "genuine" peace talks with Israel.

Speaking with NBC television, Netanyahu also insisted he was "proud to be the prime minister of all Israeli citizens, Arabs and Jews alike" after triggering outrage for urging supporters to vote for him, warning Israeli Arabs were "turning out in droves."

The veteran Israeli leader had raised global alarm when he vowed in the final days of the election campaign that he would never agree to a Palestinian state on his watch -- flying in the face of decades of US policy to achieve a two-state solution.

In his first interview with a US television network since winning an unprecedented fourth term on Tuesday, Netanyahu did not completely walk back those comments.

But he suggested he remained open to the possibility of new peace talks, saying Israel would "need the recognition of (a) Jewish state and real security in order to have a realistic two-state solution."

"I was talking about what is achievable and what is not achievable," Netanyahu said.

"To make it achievable, then you have to have real negotiations with people committed to peace ... it's time we saw the pressure on the Palestinians to show that they are committed too."

Iran, which backs Hamas in the Gaza Strip, was ready to start pouring arms into the West Bank run by the Palestinian Authority, Netanyahu claimed.

"We withdrew from Gaza, we got thousands of rockets on our heads. (We) don't want it to happen again. I think the administration has said time and time again, the only way to achieve peace is a negotiated solution -- you can't impose peace," he told NBC News.

"If you want to get peace, you've got to get the Palestinian leadership to abandon their pact with Hamas and engage in genuine negotiations with Israel for an achievable peace."

The Israeli leader also maintained that his controversial anti-Arab comments on a Facebook page aimed at drumming up support at the ballot box were an attempt "to counter a foreign-funded effort to get votes that are intended to topple my party."

Some outside groups had vowed to "try to get out votes for a specific part, an amalgamation of Islamists and other groups," Netanyahu said, without giving any details, insisting he was not "trying to suppress a vote."

He pledged to try to have "real integration of Arab citizens of Israel into the Israeli economy."

The White House on Wednesday had chastised Netanyahu for his remarks, saying such rhetoric "seeks to marginalize Arab-Israeli citizens."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:29 pm »
You've got to be kidding with that headline. Netanyahu didn't flip.

What he did is called responsible negotiating, reacting to a changing set of conditions.

He's trying to protect Israel's continued existence. This is no game here.

And yet, it's the Israel National News that wrote this.

I guess a more honest headline wouldn't get as many comments.  /s
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:48:50 pm »
Bibi coming up on Hannity's radio show in 10mins
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:15:09 pm »
You've got to be kidding with that headline. Netanyahu didn't flip.  What he did is called responsible negotiating, reacting to a changing set of conditions.  He's trying to protect Israel's continued existence. This is no game here. 

Actually he flipped, then he flopped, now today he's flipped again.  See link from the National Review included below from the article dated March 16th:

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has proclaimed his support for a two-state solution, and has been quite clear about the conditions that would have to be met for such a solution. But now, just a day before Israelis head to the polls, he abruptly proclaimed that there would be no Palestinian state while he is prime minister: “I think that anyone who is going to establish a Palestinian state today and evacuate lands, is giving attack grounds to the radical Islam against the state of Israel.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/415500/bibi-no-palestinian-state-mario-loyola

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:24 pm »
And today Bibi said he's open to a two-state solution but that it's not possible as long as Hamas is a negotiating partner with Fatah (Abbas). And no return to the1967 boundaries.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:28 pm »
And today Bibi said he's open to a two-state solution but that it's not possible as long as Hamas is a negotiating partner with Fatah (Abbas). And no return to the1967 boundaries.

Ah....beat me to it, Sink!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »
"I'm talking about what is achievable and what is not achievable," Netanyahu said Thursday,

Not really a flip-flop. He wants a two-state solution, but recognizes it's not viable with Hamas as a partner to Fatah.

He repeated it again clearly last night on Meghan Kelly.

A two state solution isn't possible with the current state of Palestine.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.