Author Topic: Obama Calls the Shots Despite GOP-Controlled Congress  (Read 1479 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama Calls the Shots Despite GOP-Controlled Congress
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:30:06 am »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=630331

Newsmax
Monday, March 16, 2015 10:16 AM

By: Andrea Billups

Republicans may have pulled off strong victories in the November midterms, but since taking power in Congress, they have been outpaced as their infighting has impeded progress and as the White House has called the shots, Politico reports.

Republicans, over the past three months, have had little success on their legislative agenda, appearing disorganized and unable to get any traction on key issues important to their side, Politico added.

Wrote Politico of the White House's strong position: "The West Wing wish list looks largely the same as it did headed into the year: a spring approval of fast-track authority, criminal justice reform, a new authorization for the use of military force to fight terrorist groups in Syria and Iraq, and Loretta Lynch’s confirmation as attorney general. Corporate tax reform has faded in many minds, as has talk of new infrastructure funding."

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest acknowledged Obama's strength speaking to reporters last week. "There’s no question that frankly the Republican disorganization has put them at a strategic disadvantage in interfacing with the White House and has contributed to this dynamic of the White House being the one — and the only one — that’s on offense," he said.

Earnest added that he thinks that the president is in an even stronger position than a year ago and before the Republican majority took hold. He said if Republicans hope to move the ball in Congress, they'll have to build coalitions with Democrats at this point.

"At least the debate in Washington is sharper now that you have a Republican-controlled Congress and Democratic control of the White House, and I think Republicans have had a harder time in the majority than they thought they were going to."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's spokesman also outlined the poor position Republicans find themselves in after pulling out exciting victories last fall, Politico said.

"The Republican agenda is dysfunction, obstruction and distraction, and there is certainly no discernible jobs agenda," her communications director Drew Hammill told Politico.

"What we see over and over again are the same rehashed bills that are either anti-science, anti-governance or anti-Obama."

Writing in The New York Times, Albert Hunt called Republicans' first three months "an inauspicious start."

"After the party took control of both houses of Congress, expectations for a robust Republican agenda never were realistic, with a Democrat in the White House and fewer than 60 members in the Senate," Hunt wrote in the Times. "If government shutdowns are off the table — and congressional Republicans believe they must be — the party’s power over the purse is limited."

Hunt added that to change the current dynamic, the GOP will likely need to "win the presidency next year and retain, even enlarge, their Senate majority."

He noted: "That may depend on this Republican Congress, after a very rocky start, getting something done. Demonstrating they are not protectors of the privileged is not a bad place to begin."

A Gallup poll taken in early February, the first since Republicans took control of Congress, showed a four percent approval rating increase to 20 percent — up from 16 percent, but still dismal.

The pollsters noted that "in terms of spurring better approval ratings for Congress, the effect of last year's GOP rout has so far been minimal."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Obama Calls the Shots Despite GOP-Controlled Congress
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:01:42 am »

That's because the current 'Republican" leadership is filled with RINOS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:10:25 am »

God Bless You Bigun.  Exactly!  Can't get much more accurate and clearer than that.   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:12:56 am »

Using your "logic," Ronald Reagan was a RINO.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline evadR

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:14:50 am »
Quote from: Bigun on Today at 09:01:42 PM

God Bless You Bigun.  Exactly!  Can't get much more accurate and clearer than that.   :patriot:

Well, you can, a little bit.

That's because the current 'Republican" GOPe leadership is filled with RINOS!

:laugh:
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:16:39 am »
Apples to oranges. Reagan never served in the Senate or House.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:19:33 am »
Quote from: Bigun on Today at 09:01:42 PM

Well, you can, a little bit.

That's because the current 'Republican" GOPe leadership is filled with RINOS!

:laugh:

:thumbsup: :bullie smokin:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22:08 am »

My recollection is that President Reagan NEVER had a Republican congress to work with! Not even a GOPe one in fact!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:17 am »

My point stands, and the handful of posters dominating this board with their "RINO" BS has made this place unreadable.  I visit here far less often than I used to prior to the GOP taking over the Senate.  It's pretty much devolved to personal attacks and "thumbs up" posts of agreement, with anybody to the left of Ted Cruz mocked and is seen as the enemy.

The quality here is lacking as the more intelligent posters have left for other sites.  This place is becoming an echo chamber for the 10% of "conservatives" who just can't grasp that their way of thinking is outdated, and is rejected loudly even in GOP primaries.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:29:47 am by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 01:27:28 am »
My recollection is that President Reagan NEVER had a Republican congress to work with! Not even a GOPe one in fact!

Correct, yet he still allowed amnesty, as well as worked with the Dems to raise taxes.

He's a "RINO" in the truest sense of your goofy use of the smear.

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:28:12 am »
:thumbsup: :bullie smokin:

Just like clockwork, there is another one of the pathetic "thumbs up" waste of a post I was just writing about.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:38:10 am »
Correct, yet he still allowed amnesty, as well as worked with the Dems to raise taxes.

He's a "RINO" in the truest sense of your goofy use of the smear.
'

Whatever toots your whistle sport!

:yawn1:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 01:43:10 am »
All of you are destroying my site..if you can't stop the bickering and insults then leave......I am on the verge of shutting TBR down.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:17 am »
Can anyone explain to me the purpose of electing "republicans" who continue to take us down the very same road as the democrats have been taking us for a very long time!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 03:34:20 am »
Baloney. He signed abortions, troop pullback from Lebanon after being attacked, tax increases, huge budget deficits, and of course Amnesty.

That is RINO in capitals, as it is now insisted that we will continue doing.

And of course Goldwater, father of modern conservatism yet classified as a RINO by the time of his death.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 04:26:08 am »
Republicans controlled the Senate for Reagan's first 6 years.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:35:05 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 04:30:35 am »
Can anyone explain to me the purpose of electing "republicans" who continue to take us down the very same road as the democrats have been taking us for a very long time!

There is only one road and it only goes one way.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 04:32:53 am »
The quality here is lacking as the more intelligent posters have left for other sites.

I haven't left.  I just don't have time to post much because I have a job and children....oh wait you said "intelligent posters."  Never mind.

This place is becoming an echo chamber for the 10% of "conservatives" who just can't grasp that their way of thinking is outdated, and is rejected loudly even in GOP primaries.

I think there is a fairly wide spectrum of political thought here, but it is frustrating when people with strong opinions collide. 

I know I've said it before but I really enjoy reading your posts and hope you will continue to share them.