Author Topic: President Ted Cruz?  (Read 15805 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: President Ted Cruz?
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:37 pm »
We do not police this forum...we consider you all adults and aptly able to police yourselves...some times a MOD does have to interfere and we actually hate to do that......

I have two rules here...just two.....common courtesy and no foul language..{sometimes I can't help myself}..lol

I'm a little shorthanded with MODS....which is a thankless and stressful job at times...I wasn't going to replace the ones that are gone but maybe I should...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:15 pm »
On this forum the acronym "RINO" has a very negative connotation. I don't believe anybody here considers themselves such, so being called one is easily seen as an insult. The purpose of calling somebody a RINO on a forum like this is to use a label to discredit what was said rather than addressing the substance of the post. In no way is it a necessary or relevant part of an argument. Labeling somebody in a derogatory way does nothing to discredit what they've said.

So far as I have been able to determine every person who posts here claims to hate political correctness but yet we have those who would love to have it installed here! I'm not one of those people!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2015, 12:02:29 am »
So far as I have been able to determine every person who posts here claims to hate political correctness but yet we have those who would love to have it installed here! I'm not one of those people!

I thought the purpose of this place was for adults to come here and hash out their disagreements in a civil and mature way.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:41 am »
I thought the purpose of this place was for adults to come here and hash out their disagreements in a civil and mature way.

That was the premise....go figure..lol :chairbang:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2015, 12:16:46 am »
Luis wrote above:
[[ The terms "RINO" and "GOPe" when used by the people who used those terms, are meant to offend, denigrate and degrade the person that they are directed at. ]]

No Luis they are not (just because you think they should be).

GOP-e and RINO are quite descriptive and fairly accurate terms. In the case of the former, the term represents the well-recognized concept of the establishment that desires to maintain a status quo. The latter is even more descriptive of individuals who choose to represent themselves in one manner for the purpose of elections, and who then behave in a wholly different manner -after- they have achieved that goal.

I have used both terms in this forum in the past, and I will continue to use them, and if others take exception, well -- that's just too bad, folks.

For an example of someone who embodies the GOP-e, look no further than Jeb Bush. His very bloodline oozes "establishment".

For the epitome of a RINO, recall if you will the erstwhile governor of my state, Lowell P. Weicker, Jr., who ran for election saying that to pass an income tax in this state would be "like throwing gasoline on a fire", and who -- after winning -- pushed the very same tax increase into law.

GOP-e.
RINO.

Those words work for me.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2015, 12:19:44 am »
Good freakin' grief ... to think that "President" Ted Cruz caused all this amongst us.  Imagine what's he's going to do to the left!   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:03 am »
Good freakin' grief ... to think that "President" Ted Cruz caused all this amongst us.  Imagine what's he's going to do to the left!   :silly:

:amen:
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2015, 12:26:37 am »
:word:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:53 am »
Luis wrote above:
[[ The terms "RINO" and "GOPe" when used by the people who used those terms, are meant to offend, denigrate and degrade the person that they are directed at. ]]

No Luis they are not (just because you think they should be).

GOP-e and RINO are quite descriptive and fairly accurate terms. In the case of the former, the term represents the well-recognized concept of the establishment that desires to maintain a status quo. The latter is even more descriptive of individuals who choose to represent themselves in one manner for the purpose of elections, and who then behave in a wholly different manner -after- they have achieved that goal.

I have used both terms in this forum in the past, and I will continue to use them, and if others take exception, well -- that's just too bad, folks.

For an example of someone who embodies the GOP-e, look no further than Jeb Bush. His very bloodline oozes "establishment".

For the epitome of a RINO, recall if you will the erstwhile governor of my state, Lowell P. Weicker, Jr., who ran for election saying that to pass an income tax in this state would be "like throwing gasoline on a fire", and who -- after winning -- pushed the very same tax increase into law.

GOP-e.
RINO.

Those words work for me.

Well said my friend! Well said indeed! 

I have no intention to bow to the dictates of political correctness either here or anywhere!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:44 am »
Well said my friend! Well said indeed! 

I have no intention to bow to the dictates of political correctness either here or anywhere!

Nor do I. The words RINO and GOPe work for me as well.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2015, 12:51:11 am »

Why is it necessary to repeatedly label people as such? Luis is well aware of what certain people think of his political leanings. It's redundant and unproductive to repeatedly confront him with it.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2015, 01:44:46 am »
I don't feel anything was settled here...so I think we should all try to respect ea others opinions here and refrain from the personal insults..egging the other side on only creates animosity...one last thing...if all else fails..try the ignore feature..lol
Support the USO

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2015, 02:26:45 am »
Well while we are at it, we might as well be derogative about the Chambers of Commerce. A component of GOPe.

They represent companies where voters work, and which are typically sources of campaign finances.

So in keeping with the long tradition of the circular firing squad, fire away.

The voting base in my district has long been Republican, which included a major defense-aerospace firm.

But the new version of conservative purity would shove all that out of the way.

Best of luck. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2015, 02:43:17 am »
Well while we are at it, we might as well be derogative about the Chambers of Commerce. A component of GOPe.

They represent companies where voters work, and which are typically sources of campaign finances.

So in keeping with the long tradition of the circular firing squad, fire away.

The voting base in my district has long been Republican, which included a major defense-aerospace firm.

But the new version of conservative purity would shove all that out of the way.

Best of luck.

I was hoping my last post stopped all this....

Well the Chamber of Commerce has endorsed amnesty..now you've opened a can of worms..

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/09/04/u-s-chamber-of-commerce-endorses-dems-in-key-house-races/
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Endorses Dems in Key House Races

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/05/12/chamber-of-commerce-head-to-gop-if-you-dont-pass-amnesty-this-year-dont-bother-running-a-candidate-in-2016/
Chamber of Commerce head to GOP: If you don’t pass amnesty this year, don’t bother running a candidate in 2016

God love them...
Support the USO

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2015, 02:56:05 am »
True...but only if you personally/privately consider yourself a RINO or a member of the GOPe and were called out on it would it be insulting.

I am a conservative and I see post after post here on the forum insulting us...but I don't retaliate by telling a poster to shove it up their ass.

Those terms are absolutely idiotic.

They are divisive.

They are destructive.

They are remnants of TOS.

They have zero value to any worthwhile discussion.

They are juvenile.

They are unintelligent.

They add nothing and destroy much.

To call someone who is a Republican in name, deed, and financial support a RINO based on some narrow, myopic view of politics is asinine and simply because you consider yourself a higher moral authority is CRAP.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:22:18 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2015, 03:17:05 am »
I was hoping my last post stopped all this....

Well the Chamber of Commerce has endorsed amnesty..now you've opened a can of worms..

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/09/04/u-s-chamber-of-commerce-endorses-dems-in-key-house-races/
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Endorses Dems in Key House Races

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/05/12/chamber-of-commerce-head-to-gop-if-you-dont-pass-amnesty-this-year-dont-bother-running-a-candidate-in-2016/
Chamber of Commerce head to GOP: If you don’t pass amnesty this year, don’t bother running a candidate in 2016

God love them...

https://www.uschamber.com/blog/rush-here-s-what-tom-donohue-really-said-about-immigration-reform

Rush Limbaugh may be “right 99.7% of the time,” but he’s wrong for distorting U.S. Chamber President and CEO Tom Donohue on immigration reform.

Here’s Limbaugh’s version of a quote from Donohue earlier this year:

If you don't do amnesty, you may as well not even nominate a candidate in 2016, cause none of us are gonna give any Republican any money if they don't do this.

Now, here’s what Donohue really said, as reported by Politico [emphasis mine]:

“If the Republicans don’t do it [pass immigration reform], they shouldn’t bother to run a candidate in 2016,” Donohue joked at an event on infrastructure investment in D.C. “Think about that. Think about who the voters are. I just did that to get everybody’s attention.”

Big difference.

The actual quote doesn’t mention “amnesty” or any kind of political threat. The U.S. Chamber does not support amnesty and never has. Donohue made a positive statement, not a normative one. He pointed out that not passing immigration reform wouldn’t be smart politics.

Putting on my Glenn Kessler hat, I give Limbaugh three Pinocchios for stretching Donohue’s quote like a kid stretches Silly Putty.

Limbaugh’s mangling offers me a chance to cut through some of the misinformed chatter, tweets, and distortions and remind friends and critics about the U.S. Chamber’s immigration reform priorities:

Strengthening border security.
    Improving the E-Verify system and employment verification.
    Ensuring the availability of workers—high-skilled, lesser-skilled, and agricultural workers--when employers experience labor shortages.
    Providing a means for undocumented workers to earn lawful status by getting a background check and paying any fines and back taxes owed.

Americans want our broken immigration system fixed. Broad, meaningful reforms, consistently supported by the public, will result in a rational immigration system that benefits the country, as Donohue wrote recently:

Immigration reform would help revitalize our economy by raising the GDP, boosting productivity, and attracting investment from around the world. It would spur innovation and entrepreneurship. It would create jobs for immigrant and native-born workers alike. Reform would also help address our demographic realities and slash the federal deficit.

We must reform our system so that we can reassert our competitiveness. For the United States to build a 21st century workforce in a global economy—and for businesses to have access to the employees they need to compete and succeed—we must welcome the world’s talent to our shores.

Healthy debate is important in a democracy, but it must be based on facts, not distorted quotes. The fact is the United States is engaged in a global competition for talent. Without immigration reform, we will fall behind, putting our economy and American jobs at risk.

You can quote me on that.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2015, 03:33:40 am »
The Washington "establishment" consists of Democrats and Republicans who belong to the same country club, not caring two cents about those that elected them and only caring about lining their pockets...now...what were you saying about crap? Washington is broken period.

"Real patriotism is a willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong."
  --  Ron Paul

"If two parties with two sets of bad ideas cooperate, the result is not good policy, but policy that is extremely bad. What we really need are correct economic and political ideas, regardless of the party that pushes them.”
   -- Ron Paul

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it's realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
   - - Ron Paul

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2015, 11:11:12 am »
Personally, I don't depend on either Rush Limbaugh or Politico for news.  Rush is entertainment for political junkies, so he has no obligation to adhere to journalistic integrity.  Politico, on the other hand, is posing as a news source.  It's liberal bent therefore makes it nothing less than a propaganda machine.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2015, 12:05:26 pm »
The US in global competition for talent? Really?

We're in global competition for cheap nannies, gardeners, dish washers and car wash attendants for Hollywood, silicon valley, Arlington, Park Avenue and upper East Side liberals.

That's all the US Chamber of Commerce cares about: cheap labor.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »

The acronym "RINO" is absolutely meaningless.  If everyone is a RINO except those who believe what you do, there is no such thing.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with being "PC."

It has to do with its being a worthless insult.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2015, 03:02:14 pm »
The acronym "RINO" is absolutely meaningless.  If everyone is a RINO except those who believe what you do, there is no such thing.

Thank you m'lady.  I have gained a great deal of respect for you and your posts - even those I may disagree with.

Of course it has nothing to do with being PC when it is directed at a forum member.  It is judgmental.  It is insulting.  It does not advance discussion in any way, shape or form.  It provokes a defensive, like-response which degrades the forum.  It fosters factions that many of us chose to leave at TOS.  We are, most of us, similarly-minded folks trying to sort through the chaos, noise and peril of our existence.  But, we are not exactly-minded which I have cherished and respected.  And I will note that while I don't like the term RINO, I can accept it when directed at elected politicos or punditry. 

I grew up in southeast Wisconsin where many are of Polish descent.  Wonderful ethnicity, wonderful people.  Even as a boy, I knew when the pejorative term "Pollack" was delivered as an insult.  To hide behind  the faux noble-esque, "I ain't PC" is insulting in and of itself. That tactic is a false pretense and it, too, is demeaning and simple-minded.

I have many dear friends here. Many.  Many I would be honored to share the proverbial foxhole with.

But, life is short, as we well know.

:patriot:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »

That's all the US Chamber of Commerce cares about: cheap labor.
Tell the engineers that, who work at Boeing (formerly McDonnell Douglas) which in turn is the largest supporter of our local Chamber of Commerce.

McDonnell Douglas, space program, stuff like that.  Highly educated professionals that in turn elect Republicans in the area.  Higher middle income church, family and school people.

I'm learning how the "circular firing squad" image came to be for Republicans.

What in the world comes from throwing the C of C under what increasingly seems to be the "low information" conservative bus?

Just repeat really stupid things one sees on the internet, over and over?

The dems must laugh among themselves. "Hey, they fell for that one, too? They are killing and eating their own. Now it is the C of C."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2015, 03:38:15 pm »

Good points..and I agree..

Can't we all just dispense with using those terms as some here consider them as insults and a trigger for more insults, it is getting us nowhere.

I would appreciate it .

Support the USO

Offline aligncare

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2015, 03:42:34 pm »
Tell the engineers that, who work at Boeing (formerly McDonnell Douglas) which in turn is the largest supporter of our local Chamber of Commerce.

McDonnell Douglas, space program, stuff like that.  Highly educated professionals that in turn elect Republicans in the area.  Higher middle income church, family and school people.

I'm learning how the "circular firing squad" image came to be for Republicans.

What in the world comes from throwing the C of C under what increasingly seems to be the "low information" conservative bus?

Just repeat really stupid things one sees on the internet, over and over?

The dems must laugh among themselves. "Hey, they fell for that one, too? They are killing and eating their own. Now it is the C of C."

Excuse me, but I thought we were talking about illegal immigration and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

The vast majority of illegals are not border jumping engineers contributing to the local Chamber of Commerce.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »
Thank you m'lady.  I have gained a great deal of respect for you and your posts - even those I may disagree with.

Of course it has nothing to do with being PC when it is directed at a forum member.  It is judgmental.  It is insulting.  It does not advance discussion in any way, shape or form.  It provokes a defensive, like-response which degrades the forum.  It fosters factions that many of us chose to leave at TOS.  We are, most of us, similarly-minded folks trying to sort through the chaos, noise and peril of our existence.  But, we are not exactly-minded which I have cherished and respected.  And I will note that while I don't like the term RINO, I can accept it when directed at elected politicos or punditry. 

I grew up in southeast Wisconsin where many are of Polish descent.  Wonderful ethnicity, wonderful people.  Even as a boy, I knew when the pejorative term "Pollack" was delivered as an insult.  To hide behind  the faux noble-esque, "I ain't PC" is insulting in and of itself. That tactic is a false pretense and it, too, is demeaning and simple-minded.

I have many dear friends here. Many.  Many I would be honored to share the proverbial foxhole with.

But, life is short, as we well know.

:patriot:

Indeed, lando.  (And getting much shorter.......... especially for those of us on the other side of medicare enrollment.  ^-^ ).

We ARE on the same side here.

I find myself in the middle of this debate quite often because I am very conservative, but also loyally Republican.  That makes me, and people like me, the object of insults from both sides.  I can't count the number of times I was called a "RINO" on Tos.  And I guarantee I had a longer history and more fidelity to conservatism than any of those hurling it at me.  The truth didn't matter to them.  It's both easy and ugly to throw that term around.

But at the same time, I have seen the words "SoCons" are manipulative, dishonest, stupid, and want everyone to follow their narrow moral dictates.  And I AM a social conservative.  For me, those kinds of comments (coming frequently from some here) are equally insulting, and equally wrong.

I guess I should repeat what I said earlier............ I don't GET it.  It's not that I never cross the line and say something I shouldn't say, but the regular beating up of fellow foxhole occupants makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:37:52 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.