Author Topic: Obama at Selma: 'There Are Laws Across This Country Designed to Make it Harder for People to Vote'  (Read 805 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-selma-there-are-laws-across-country-designed-make-it-harder-people-vote_878985.html

Obama at Selma: 'There Are Laws Across This Country Designed to Make it Harder for People to Vote'
3:49 PM, Mar 7, 2015 • By DANIEL HALPER

President Obama used part of his address at the 50th anniversary of the historic march to push expanded voting laws.

"Right now, in 2015, fifty years after Selma, there are laws across this country designed to make it harder for people to vote. As we speak, more of such laws are being proposed. Meanwhile, the Voting Rights Act, the culmination of so much blood and sweat and tears, the product of so much sacrifice in the face of wanton violence, stands weakened, its future subject to partisan rancor," said President Obama, according to prepared remarks of his address provided by the White House.

"How can that be? The Voting Rights Act was one of the crowning achievements of our democracy, the result of Republican and Democratic effort. President Reagan signed its renewal when he was in office. President Bush signed its renewal when he was in office. One hundred Members of Congress have come here today to honor people who were willing to die for the right it protects. If we want to honor this day, let these hundred go back to Washington, and gather four hundred more, and together, pledge to make it their mission to restore the law this year."

Elsewhere in his speech, Obama made the case that America had made great progress. "Just this week, I was asked whether I thought the Department of Justice’s Ferguson report shows that, with respect to race, little has changed in this country. I understand the question, for the report’s narrative was woefully familiar. It evoked the kind of abuse and disregard for citizens that spawned the Civil Rights Movement. But I rejected the notion that nothing’s changed. What happened in Ferguson may not be unique, but it’s no longer endemic, or sanctioned by law and custom; and before the Civil Rights Movement, it most surely was," said the president.

"We do a disservice to the cause of justice by intimating that bias and discrimination are immutable, or that racial division is inherent to America. If you think nothing’s changed in the past fifty years, ask somebody who lived through the Selma or Chicago or L.A. of the Fifties. Ask the female CEO who once might have been assigned to the secretarial pool if nothing’s changed. Ask your gay friend if it’s easier to be out and proud in America now than it was thirty years ago. To deny this progress – our progress – would be to rob us of our own agency; our responsibility to do what we can to make America better."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Not that he actually could cite such a law, but I assume he's alluding to voter ID.

Yes, that is incredibly oppressive.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Always the instigator.   Always the agitator.

:nometalk:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

Always a lying a-hole.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
There are laws across the country which make it harder to buy beer!!
They are trying to keep the Black man from his 40oz!
This is obviously racist!

How can a voter ID law be directed at Blacks if it applies to every body in the nation?

Why is it automatically 'wrong' to make something harder? We make it 'harder' to buy guns? We make it 'harder' to cash a check?

You can't just walk into a bank with any check in the world and say, "It's me. It's my check. No. I don't have any ID but it's me. I promise."

Nobody is going to buy that. Is that racist? It must be.

If voter ID is racist, then requiring an ID to buy beer or to cash a check is equally racist.

We should pass a law that a Black person is never required to have an ID to do anything they want to do. Everyone else, White, Asian, Hispanic, has to have an ID except Black people. Because they are way too stupid and retarded to be able to do something as simple as going to a government office, fill out a form, and get an ID.

For a Black person, because they are such idiots, this is way too much of a requirement.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

And his supporters lap it up like it's cream.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Are you kidding? Obama is the post-racial President. Just ask his best friend Al Sharpton. He will tell you. Anyone else notice that the closer Obama gets to 2016, the more overtly racial he is becoming? At first, he kept it on the down low. But lately, all Obama seems to see is race first, in everything that happens.

Obama will bridge the racial divide, and the oceans will recede, and the air will clear, and the Earth will begin to heal! I won't have to pay for gas! I won't have to pay my mortgage!

We look back on those campaigns now, and they just seem so silly and childish. It makes you wonder, How could people be that stupid? I am not so much worried about how history will judge Obama. What I think about, is how history will judge us for electing him.

Obama, 'the messiah', turned out to be a monumental failure. Now we are going to spend decades cleaning up the mess he has made.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:38:17 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Are you kidding? Obama is the post-racial President. Just ask his best friend Al Sharpton. He will tell you. Anyone else notice that the closer Obama gets to 2016, the more overtly racial he is becoming? At first, he kept it on the down low. But lately, all Obama seems to see is race first, in everything that happens.

Obama will bridge the racial divide, and the oceans will recede, and the air will clear, and the Earth will begin to heal! I won't have to pay for gas! I won't have to pay my mortgage!

We look back on those campaigns now, and they just seem so silly and childish. It makes you wonder, How could people be that stupid? I am not so much worried about how history will judge Obama. What I think about, is how history will judge us for electing him.

Obama, 'the messiah', turned out to be a monumental failure. Now we are going to spend decades cleaning up the mess he has made.

He's got his followers whipped up to a frenzy now, he knows it's just a matter of time before it becomes a raging inferno.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

He's got his followers whipped up to a frenzy now, he knows it's just a matter of time before it becomes a raging inferno.
Which is all part of the plan.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
240b wrote above (in sarcasm):
[[ If voter ID is racist, then requiring an ID to buy beer or to cash a check is equally racist.
We should pass a law that a Black person is never required to have an ID to do anything they want to do. Everyone else, White, Asian, Hispanic, has to have an ID except Black people.   ]]

Just wait.
They ain't finished yet!

They'll do so much damage that - hopefully - a black person won't be able to get elected president again for decades.