Author Topic: Why Vote Republican?  (Read 2205 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Why Vote Republican?
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:50 pm »
March 4, 2015
Why Vote Republican?
By Brian C Joondeph

Every two years before the midterm elections, we hear Republican candidates promise that if elected they will rein in the Obama administration excesses – Obamacare, amnesty, trillion-dollar deficits, increasing government regulation, legislative transparency, and unlawful executive orders.  Like Lucy promising Charlie Brown a shot at the football, Republicans promise each time that things will be different.  Yet Lucy continues to lift the football at the last minute, leaving the hapless Charlie Brown kicking at air.

Immediately after the November midterms, the president announced his amnesty plan.  Republicans, fresh from landslide victories in congressional, state, and local elections, were well-positioned to flex their newfound muscle by re-establishing constitutional checks and balances on an overzealous executive branch.  Instead, Senate Majority Leader McConnell folded like a cheap suit, abandoning efforts to defund President Obama’s amnesty efforts.

Tell me again why we need Republican majorities in Congress.

Sure, we get the usual excuses.  Harry Reid and the minority control the Senate to such an extent that Reid can force Republicans to abandon an extremely popular position.  That pesky filibuster – the same one that Democrats eliminated a few years ago when they were in power and wanted to bypass Republican resistance for judicial and executive appointments.  Why can’t Senator McConnell trigger the same “nuclear option” now?

What about Obamacare?  It remains alive and well despite Republican promises to “repeal and replace.”  The truth about Benghazi remains elusive, now over two years after the fact, despite recent e-mails debunking then-secretary of state Hillary Clinton’s explanations.  Lois Lerner’s missing e-mails remain elusive, without explanation or accountability.  The deficits remain at the trillion-dollar level, with the national debt spiraling out of control.  And the government is now taking over the internet via a secret plan, without protest from Congress.

Republican voters wanted the opposite.  Would things really be different if Pelosi and Reid still ran Congress rather than Boehner and McConnell?  The left’s agenda marches merrily along, with little resistance other then a few words or excuses.

The latest excuse from Republican leadership is that they need the White House before they can accomplish anything.  Really?  What the Republicans need is backbone and leadership.  Ronald Reagan ushered in hugely effective income tax cuts while working with a Democrat Congress.  A Republican Congress enacted welfare reform despite initial opposition from Democrat President Bill Clinton.  A Democrat Congress was able to raise taxes despite Republican George “read my lips, no new taxes” Bush in the White House.  Legislation can and does move forward despite divided government.

Margaret Thatcher told us, “Consensus is the absence of leadership.”  If the Republican leadership is waiting for consensus with the Democrats, that will never happen.  Rather, they should be making their case, standing by their principles and promises, and fulfilling the mandate they were given last November.  Republican voters don’t expect victory with each issue, but they do expect a principled stand and a fight, not a concession at the end of the first quarter.

Let the president wield his veto pen.  Congress has given him next to nothing to veto.  In his six years as president, he has vetoed three bills, with two of those during his first two years in office, when the Democrats controlled Congress.  Republicans have controlled the House since 2010 and the House and Senate currently, yet we have only one veto in the last five years, and that within the last month.

There are still constitutional options for Republicans against the president bypassing Congress entirely.  Defunding and impeachment are both politically challenging, but legitimate nonetheless.  But the Republican leadership have taken these off the table, further limiting their options.

Giving in to Democrat opposition, as they have done with amnesty, debt ceilings, continuing spending resolutions, and other “line in the sand” issues leaves voters to scratch their heads, wondering what’s different having Congress under Republican control.

The 2016 elections will be pivotal for Republicans, with a chance to win the White House and maintain control of Congress.  Unless they make the case as to why this is important, voters will tune out and stay home, as they did in 2012.  If Republican voters believe, to borrow from Mrs. Clinton, “What difference does it make?,” they will stay home again in 2016.  The Republican Congress, as evidenced by the amnesty capitulation, is doing little to help.

Brian C Joondeph, M.D., MPS, a Denver-based physician, is an advocate of smaller, more efficient government.  Twitter @retinaldoctor

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/03/why_vote_republican.html
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Why Vote Republican?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »
Anybody that claims the Republican and Democrat parties are the same today, have their head up their a$$.

THERE!!   I SAID IT!!    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »
Anybody that claims the Republican and Democrat parties are the same today, have their head up their a$$.

:beer:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:42:27 pm »
It's amazing.

The name of this forum is the GOP Briefing Room, yet the overwhelming majority of posters spend their time in here bashing the GOP.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »
It's amazing.

The name of this forum is the GOP Briefing Room, yet the overwhelming majority of posters spend their time in here bashing the GOP.

Indeed. 

Or bashing other more members with a more pragmatic POV.

You have to recognize the terrain (culture), before running headlong into battle.

I'm just seeing a lot of emoting going on right now.    :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:12:01 pm by DCPatriot »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:20:38 pm »

:beer:

GOP fratricide has Leftists and Democrats rejoicing.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:05 pm »
It's amazing.

I'm an equal opportunity basher and right now the leadership of the REPUBLICAN congress is quite deserving of ALL the bashing they are receiving!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:30:36 pm »

And yet, the article you post makes the case that Republicans are inept at best.

Give them the House... we are powerless, we need the Senate.
Give them the House and Senate... we are powerless, we need the White House.
IF they get the White House... I'm sure it will be that bad old Supreme Court that renders them powerless.

Do as you wish, use all of the insults you can muster. The bottom line is the GOP is not Grand anymore, and will rightfully get hammered in 2016.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
I'm an equal opportunity basher and right now the leadership of the REPUBLICAN congress is quite deserving of ALL the bashing they are receiving!
Previously asked but not answered: How do you recommend the GOP leadership overcome the 2/3 vote to override Presidential vetoes, as found in the Constitution?

Is there some knowledge you care to share with Boehner and McConnell?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:18:32 pm »
Previously asked but not answered: How do you recommend the GOP leadership overcome the 2/3 vote to override Presidential vetoes, as found in the Constitution?

As previously answered numerous times, cut off the money! And if the president vetoes that cut off even more money and so on until the president gets the message and stops vetoing the bills!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:47 pm »
Republicans can say whatever they want, but it's important to look at what has actually been done.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:28:39 pm »
Republicans can say whatever they want, but it's important to look at what has actually been done.

I never thought I would be doing this Dex but  :amen:

It is also important to know what COULD have been done and wasn't!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
And yet, the article you post makes the case that Republicans are inept at best.

IF they get the White House... I'm sure it will be that bad old Supreme Court that renders them powerless.

Do as you wish, use all of the insults you can muster. The bottom line is the GOP is not Grand anymore, and will rightfully get hammered in 2016.

The Republican Party today, is the LAST group that would have to worry about their actions being overturned in the Supreme Court.

Being the Party of Law and Order has responsibilities.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 06:06:11 pm »
Why vote Republican? Sense of humor?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 06:36:15 pm »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 06:59:51 pm »

If I may interject.

Send up bill after bill, and make Obama the president of NO. Understand? Make him veto dozens of common sense solution oriented bills. The adoring press will dutifully report that "Today, President Obama vetoed yet another jobs bill (or whatever)"

Make him the Veto Corleone of presidents!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:28 pm »
If I may interject.

Send up bill after bill, and make Obama the president of NO. Understand? Make him veto dozens of common sense solution oriented bills. The adoring press will dutifully report that "Today, President Obama vetoed yet another jobs bill (or whatever)"

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 07:52:23 pm »
The gist of the article poses the question 'why vote at all'.

Offline evadR

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »
As previously answered numerous times, cut off the money! And if the president vetoes that cut off even more money and so on until the president gets the message and stops vetoing the bills!
A-frickin-men.
How many times do we have to say it?
It's the ONLY card we have, but it's a trump card.

Why won't they do it?   Because THEY are just as guilty as the dims.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 08:09:16 pm »

LOL...and while you're at it, make him an offer he can't refuse, complete with horse head.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:13 pm »
A-frickin-men.
How many times do we have to say it?
It's the ONLY card we have, but it's a trump card.

Why won't they do it?   Because THEY are just as guilty as the dims.

As it turns out P.J. was even more right than even he imagined.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:28 pm »
If I may interject.

:thumbsup:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:25:42 pm »
If I may interject.

The problem with that strategy is that Obama is more popular than Congress. When they have done these stunts before, they haven't worked.

I have noticed that Cruz has stepped down from the role of principal, which signals me he knows it is not fruitfull or gaining ground.

Voters across the board want things accomplished, not games. They don't want the GOP to orchestrate scenarios to get vetos. They want scenarios which get issues dealt with by Congress.

There is a difference between the electorate overall, and the entertainment oriented people on internet forums. They want high value entertainment, extreme scenes, etc. Showdowns are so exciting.

People that work full time, have other interests, want things dealt with, without all the theatrics.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:12 pm »
If the networks don't report on the number of bills or vetoes, then the result is the same as Netanyahu's speech this past Thursday.

Nobody is really aware.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 03:25:07 am »
truth_seeker asks:
[[ Previously asked but not answered: How do you recommend the GOP leadership overcome the 2/3 vote to override Presidential vetoes, as found in the Constitution? ]]

Of course they cannot override a veto.

But the Republicans have other options, that cannot be "veto'ed out".

Here are three:
1. Defund. If the House refuses to fund, that's the end of it. Neither the Senate, nor the executive, nor the courts, can force that money to be spent, when no provision in the House is made to spend it.

2. Deny. The Republican Senate must make clear to the administration by example that not a single nomination put before it will be advanced, be it for judicial or administrative appointments. Nobody, no way. (Granted, recess appointments might still be possible)

3. Impeach. All that is required in the House is a simple majority. A breeze. No, it may not win a conviction in the Senate, but it could certainly eat up some of the administration's time (and efforts that would be spent elsewhere). Worried about blacks screaming racis' or rioting? Recall what was said in the Nixon White House regarding the Jews: "F*** 'em, they don't vote for us anyway."