Author Topic: White House, DHS caught off guard by House's funding failure  (Read 340 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House, DHS caught off guard by House's funding failure
« on: February 28, 2015, 02:26:54 am »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/white-house-dhs-house-funding-bill-failure-115607.html?hp=t3_r

White House, DHS caught off guard by House's funding failure
By DAVID NATHER 2/27/15 5:58 PM EST Updated 2/27/15 9:11 PM EST

The White House and the Department of Homeland Security were caught off guard by Friday’s defeat of a House bill to fund the agency for three weeks — and now they’re scrambling to figure out how to prevent a shutdown.

Until late afternoon, it looked fairly clear that the House would pass a three-week continuing resolution, the Senate would approve it — possibly without a vote — and President Barack Obama would sign it, since it would at least be better than a shutdown. White House aides were paying attention to their vote, but not with a lot of suspense. Some were already making their weekend plans.
Story Continued Below

Now that the House has fumbled its funding bill, White House and DHS officials are anxiously trying to figure out the next move.
Late Friday, Obama and top aides met with Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson and Office of Management and Budget Director Shaun Donovan in the Oval Office about the crisis, according to a statement by White House press secretary Josh Earnest. Obama also called Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi by phone.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/white-house-dhs-house-funding-bill-failure-115607.html#ixzz3T0EQj7Pk
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:27:13 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
Re: White House, DHS caught off guard by House's funding failure
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:46 am »
I wasn't.  Everybody was running around the office today saying "oh, we're getting a three week extension".  I wasn't surprised when it failed.  What a chess game we have here!
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
Re: White House, DHS caught off guard by House's funding failure
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:36:57 am »
Oh... and it's not a "crisis".  Nearly everybody will be at work on Monday, performing essential law enforcement duties.  My staff will be home, enjoying their day off, but I don't think National Security will be threatened by that.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.