Author Topic: Republican power brokers think Scott Walker just isn’t ready. Do they have a point?  (Read 8992 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/02/27/republican-powerbrokers-think-scott-walker-just-isnt-ready-do-they-have-a-point/

Republican power brokers think Scott Walker just isn’t ready. Do they have a point?
posted at 9:21 am on February 27, 2015 by Noah Rothman

The first instinct of many upon reading this headline will be to dismiss it. Presumably, “Republican powerbrokers” can be understood to mean Jeb Bush’s stable of handwringers for whom nothing is more frightening than an outspoken conservative who governs like one. But if we step back and suspend disbelief, it is not hard to see where Walker’s critics have a point.

First off, who are Walker’s critics? Well, outside of the political press and the nation’s editorial boards, which have determined that the Wisconsin governor is a “panderer of the first order” because the media is not the target of his pandering, Walker’s detractors are largely anonymous.

“There’s an emerging sense in the early states that Scott Walker is not ready for primetime,” Politico reported on Friday.

One open-ended question this week asked early-state insiders to pick which candidate of either party has made the biggest mistake this year. Scott Walker was the most common response.

Though a plurality of insiders still believe that the Wisconsin governor would win the Iowa caucuses if they were this week, several uncommitted Republicans marveled at what they described as rookie mistakes.

There’s a pervasive feeling that Walker erred by refusing to distance himself from former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, after Giuliani said at an event Walker was also attending that President Barack Obama does not love America. He also wouldn’t say whether he believes Obama is a Christian.

Clear-eyed conservatives should perhaps take a critical look at Walker’s level of preparedness. Take, for example, the twin controversies involving Walker that dominated the news cycle last week.

Those in the media who continue to scold Walker for his refusal to vigorously denounce Rudy Giuliani after the former mayor had the temerity to call into question Barack Obama’s patriotism (formerly a time-honored practice when George W. Bush occupied the Oval Office) are not exposing a weakness in Walker so much as they are revealing their own biases. Walker called Giuliani’s comments “aggressive, and that should have satisfied reporters.

But Walker’s response to a silly question about Obama’s devotion to Christianity is a different story. Go back and re-read it. The Wisconsin governor’s response was rambling and improvised. While he eventually settled on a fine retort in which he called into question the political media’s sensibilities, he did open himself up to criticism by pontificating at length on the imperfect nature of truly knowing another human being. He was winging it until he found his footing. Walker said five sentences when one declarative statement would have served his purposes.

Without the conservative blogosphere to call out the media for its silly attachment to cornering Republicans with “gotcha” questions, would that controversy have taken a greater toll on the Wisconsin governor’s presidential stature? And just how many times are conservative bloggers expected to rush to the governor’s defense in the coming months? Surely, their time would be better spent on offense rather than defending their hapless 2016 nominee.

Walker is not entirely the victim of an overzealous reporting culture that is seeking to throttle the governor’s infant presidential campaign in its crib. A fair appraisal of the governor would concede that he has a tendencey to invite controversy. Scott Walker stumbled into what National Review’s Jim Geraghty called a “genuine unforced error” at CPAC on Thursday when he insisted that his national security bona fides were established when he successfully faced down the Badger State’s progressive protesters.

“If I can take on 100,000 protesters, I can do the same across the globe,” Walker said of ISIS.

“That is a terrible response,” Geraghty wrote.

First, taking on a bunch of protesters is not comparably difficult to taking on a Caliphate with sympathizers and terrorists around the globe, and saying so suggests Walker doesn’t quite understand the complexity of the challenge from ISIS and its allied groups.

Secondly, it is insulting to the protesters, a group I take no pleasure in defending. The protesters in Wisconsin, so furiously angry over Walker’s reforms and disruptive to the procedures of passing laws, earned plenty of legitimate criticism. But they’re not ISIS. They’re not beheading innocent people. They’re Americans, and as much as we may find their ideas, worldview, and perspective spectacularly wrongheaded, they don’t deserve to be compared to murderous terrorists.

That’s fair. If a Democratic officeholder had compared the tea party protesters to ISIS terrorists, Republicans would be consumed with righteous indignation. It’s only honest to acknowledge that liberals have a justifiable claim to feel slighted.

More importantly, as Geraghty said, this does not convey confidence that Walker either is prepared to serve as commander-in-chief or understands the nature of the threat posed by ISIS. Some conservatives, like MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough and Daily Caller columnist Matt Lewis, have cited Ronald Reagan’s mass firing of the nation’s striking air traffic controllers as an example of how a president’s approach to domestic affairs can reshape the geopolitical landscape. The Soviets were taken aback by Reagan’s fearlessness in putting down by air traffic controller’s strike in 1981, but the Islamic State is not the Soviet Union. The Kremlin wanted nothing more than to avoid direct conflict with Washington and recalibrated their approach to foreign affairs accordingly in response to Reagan’s forcefulness. By contrast, ISIS is most desirous of drawing America into a fight inside the nascent caliphate. They want confrontation, preferably the direct kind, and they would likely welcome a more pugnacious president.

With all this having been said, Scott Walker remains an impressive candidate. He has proven he can talk over the heads of the media, he is thoroughly vetted, and he unites two increasingly fractious wings of the Republican Party. Commanders-in-chief are made, not born, and Walker has plenty of time to reframe his message on foreign policy.

Those who are casting a sideways glance at Walker today are, however, legitimately concerned about his readiness, and it behooves the conservative movement to seriously consider whether those apprehensions are well-founded.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Good grief.  What a crock of crap.  Walker is ready, willing and quite able to take on the DEMS and GOPe. I would love nothing more than someone like Walker to get the nod without all the Clinton and Bush money behind him.

However, right now there is a whole lot of focus on 2016 and a whole lot of time left for Barry to continue his path of destruction and/or to indefinitely suspend the elections.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Good grief.  What a crock of crap.  Walker is ready, willing and quite able to take on the DEMS and GOPe. I would love nothing more than someone like Walker to get the nod without all the Clinton and Bush money behind him.

However, right now there is a whole lot of focus on 2016 and a whole lot of time left for Barry to continue his path of destruction and/or to indefinitely suspend the elections.

Yep!  There he was, Governor Walker, hat in hand before Sheldon Adleson promising to shake up the power structure.  I don't want to dissuade you that Governor Walker is fully awesome.  He is, but I see no evidence he wants to take on the GOPe.

Obama has no Constitutional authority to change the date of federal elections.  There is no way the American people would stand for Obama suspending the elections.  You and I would be marching in the streets.

Offline aligncare

Yep!  There he was, Governor Walker, hat in hand before Sheldon Adleson promising to shake up the power structure.  I don't want to dissuade you that Governor Walker is fully awesome.  He is, but I see no evidence he wants to take on the GOPe.

Obama has no Constitutional authority to change the date of federal elections.  There is no way the American people would stand for Obama suspending the elections.  You and I would be marching in the streets.

Yep. That's what I've been saying. I feel pretty confident that at this point most people are pretty tired of Obama and there aren't enough Obama zombies left to overcome the outcry for Obama's immediate eviction at the end of this term.

People have got to get a grip here.

Offline evadR

After Barack Hussein Obama, that argument just doesn't fly anymore...for ANYONE!!
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

After Barack Hussein Obama, that argument just doesn't fly anymore...for ANYONE!!
Yeah it does fly with almost everyone. 

One thing is certain; Obama does not have the power to cancel the election. Nor, apparently, does he have the power to delay the election in any state, given the fact that jurisdiction over elections resides with state officials. It is doubtful that a Republican House would intervene to postpone the election nationally.

Read more: http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/10/30/clarification-on-the-presidents-ability-to-suspend-the-election/#ixzz3T1M6y9Ql

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Whether Walker is ready or not is uncertain.  He is untested on the national stage.  What is more certain is that Jeb Bush is unelectable.  He polls at 15 points behind Hillary Clinton with 100 percent name recognition.  If the GOPe is really interested in winning, as opposed to raising money from well-heeled special interests, it had better find a better horse to back than Jeb.  He cannot win.

rangerrebew

All this means is the insiders feel he isn't going to get on his knees and grovel before them and that scares them.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
As de facto head of the party, he'll set the tone and the pace, which means—hopefully—he won't have to directly take the establishment head-on. The problem with the establishment that I've always seen is a lack of leadership and an unwillingness to take stands. If Walker is in charge, they will follow.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Whether Walker is ready or not is uncertain.  He is untested on the national stage.  What is more certain is that Jeb Bush is unelectable.  He polls at 15 points behind Hillary Clinton with 100 percent name recognition.  If the GOPe is really interested in winning, as opposed to raising money from well-heeled special interests, it had better find a better horse to back than Jeb.  He cannot win.

Bush...Clinton...Bush...Obama....Bush?

America exists today because people ran from oligarchies.

Jeb Bush has a better chance of shaking hands with Jesus Christ than being POTUS.

And, because of the state of the nation today, we should NOT elect another Democrat right after 8 years of Barack Obama.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online libertybele

Bush...Clinton...Bush...Obama....Bush?

America exists today because people ran from oligarchies.

Jeb Bush has a better chance of shaking hands with Jesus Christ than being POTUS.

And, because of the state of the nation today, we should NOT elect another Democrat right after 8 years of Barack Obama.

Exactly.  The last person that Americans want as president is another Clinton or Bush.  I still think you will see Warren get the Dem nod and the potential GOP candidates will soon start to make their announcements taking the focus and interest off Bush. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline evadR

Obama doesn't have the power (legal authority) to do half the things he does.  He just does them and Triple Dog Dares anyone to do anything about it.

I assume everyone has been keeping up on current events.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
F*$% the republican power brokers!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

F*$% the republican power brokers!

I watched a news segment yesterday featuring multiple speakers at the CPAC convention in National Harbor, Maryland.

To be honest, Scott Walker stood out.   For the wrong reasons.

For a moment, he appeared as if he was doing an imitation of Howard Dean...he of YEEHAH! fame.  It was a bit unsettling.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I watched a news segment yesterday featuring multiple speakers at the CPAC convention in National Harbor, Maryland.

To be honest, Scott Walker stood out.   For the wrong reasons.

For a moment, he appeared as if he was doing an imitation of Howard Dean...he of YEEHAH! fame.  It was a bit unsettling.

He was playing to his audience and I thought did a VERY good job of it!

Jeb Bush on the other hand couldn't make a speech! Had to be "interviewed by Shawn Hannity to avoid a crowd revolt!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

He was playing to his audience and I thought did a VERY good job of it!

Jeb Bush on the other hand couldn't make a speech! Had to be "interviewed by Shawn Hannity to avoid a crowd revolt!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Scott Walker at this time.

Just wish that he'd calm down a bit....maintain a bit of "gravitas".   LOL!

Offline Longiron

The LIBS,DEMS and RINOS will always tell you whom they fear the most. I guess JEB is the answer according to the PUB power brokers. Well he might get all their money BUT if CPAC is any indication he will not get the CONSERVATIVE votes. If he is the candidate 7 M stayed home because of MITTENS and JEB will beat that record with more staying HOME. Not advocating not voting BUT these are the facts.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:28:14 pm by Longiron »

Online DCPatriot

The LIBS,DEMS and RINOS will always tell you whom they fear the most. I guess JEB is the answer according to the PUB power brokers. Well he might get all their money BUT if CPAC is any indication he will not get the CONSERVATIVE votes. If he is the candidate 7 M stayed home because of MITTENS and JEB will beat that record with more staying HOME. Not advocating not voting BUT these are the facts.

When faced with either four more years of Hillary Clinton or another Alinsky deciple...and a God-fearing, America-loving, Constitution lover who is able to fog a mirror....staying home is NOT demonstrating your independence or political savvy.

Rather it demonstrates acute selfishness and shortsightedness.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The gotcha stuff with the journalists is nothing but contrived flap that will probably boost himself among conservatives and indies than anything. The real screwup was the union/ISIS comment. That was not good.

The biggest thing with Walker right now is that he is the poll leader, and as such he no longer can be out there winging it. He needs to get focused, get his team together, and start upping his game, or the media will take him down.
The Republic is lost.

Online DCPatriot

The gotcha stuff with the journalists is nothing but contrived flap that will probably boost himself among conservatives and indies than anything. The real screwup was the union/ISIS comment. That was not good.

The biggest thing with Walker right now is that he is the poll leader, and as such he no longer can be out there winging it. He needs to get focused, get his team together, and start upping his game, or the media will take him down.

And calm down.   Learn "The Pope" wave.   :laugh:

Offline Longiron

When faced with either four more years of Hillary Clinton or another Alinsky deciple...and a God-fearing, America-loving, Constitution lover who is able to fog a mirror....staying home is NOT demonstrating your independence or political savvy.

Rather it demonstrates acute selfishness and shortsightedness.

Agree staying HOME and not voting is not the answer BUT no one can control what disgusted Conservatives will do ?? Just looking at candidate MITTENS and what happened and JEB is way more LIBERAL than Mittens and the stay home results will continue. Their is a silver lining in their but that is another post.

Obama doesn't have the power (legal authority) to do half the things he does.  He just does them and Triple Dog Dares anyone to do anything about it.

I assume everyone has been keeping up on current events.

Obama has the legal authority to enforce or not enforce the boarders.  That is why the GOP has no recourse.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

When faced with the combined might of the Axis Powers, the US figured out that it was better to strike a temporary bargain with Communists and defeat Germany, than risk losing the war, all going down together.

Those 7 million that stayed home did a stupid thing. They allowed the more immediate enemy to win because their personal needs weren't sufficiently met by those with whom they had a measure of common ground with.

For decades now, going all the way back to Bush I, all I've ever heard conservatives brag about is how they are able, by their actions, to lose Presidential elections.

What I've never, ever seen them do, is win the Presidency all on their own.

Those are the actual FACTS.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:55:56 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mass wrote above:
[[ Whether Walker is ready or not is uncertain.  He is untested on the national stage.  What is more certain is that Jeb Bush is unelectable.  He polls at 15 points behind Hillary Clinton with 100 percent name recognition.  If the GOPe is really interested in winning, as opposed to raising money from well-heeled special interests, it had better find a better horse to back than Jeb.  He cannot win. ]]

Mass, you win the "Fishrrman's credo award" this month, for recognizing that...
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be."

Your comment illustrates that the GOPe may be nearly as delusional as are the democrats.

At the risk of violating my own credo, I sense that Scott Walker may become the strongest Republican candidate to go before Americans since Reagan.

He has something within that strikes the common chord with many traditionally-minded Americans. And he seems to harbor the kind of political courage not seen in most politicians -- the kind that can lead to greatness.

We shall see.

Online libertybele

Obama has the legal authority to enforce or not enforce the boarders.  That is why the GOP has no recourse.

Au contraire; IMPEACHMENT it's the RIGHT thing to do.