Author Topic: “Black History Month” Fried Chicken Menu Creates Controversy At Wright State  (Read 853 times)

rangerrebew

“Black History Month” Fried Chicken Menu Creates Controversy At Wright State

By V. Saxena, February 23, 2015.

The president of Wright State University was forced to apologize after a “Black History Month” menu was displayed that “featured fried chicken and collard greens,” reports ABC News via the Associated Press:

The menu screens at the Ohio school also offered mashed potatoes and cornbread under photos of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and other black leaders. The Dayton Daily News reported that people circulated images of it on social media, calling it offensive and disrespectful. Fried chicken has long been associated with racial stereotyping in the United States.

President David Hopkins sent an email Thursday asserting the university’s commitment to diversity and pledged to prevent a repeat.

“I apologize to anyone hurt by the display,” Hopkins wrote. “To our credit, the menu was quickly removed. But the larger question remains: Why was it done? I will find out. We will take steps to prevent this kind of behavior occurring in the future.”

What’s even more interesting than this supposed faux pas is the diversity in the responses to it. Billy Barabino, a senior and president of the school’s Black Student Union, felt “extremely hurt”by it on the basis that it was a “knock in the face for African (and) African-American individuals who have fought for us to be progressive.”

Likewise, the feminists over at the Jezebel blog slammed white people for making “dipshit racist mistakes” like this over and over again.

And the folks at The Root blog wrote a piece entitled, “News Flash: Fried Chicken and Collard Greens Are Not Black History Month Food.”

But not everybody feels like this. Take for instance ‘Laymen Hpk,’ who wrote the following comment on The Root’s post:

http://downtrend.com/vsaxena/black-history-month-fried-chicken-menu
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:05:36 am by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

I worked in campus dining for a while many years ago. During Black History Month, we did a special dinner featuring exactly those items - fried chicken, collard greens, sweet potatoes, etc., and preparation of the menu was turned over to the black folks on the cooking staff. Those women were proud and honored to put their soul food cooking skills on display and to show off some of their culture, and weren't the least bit offended. It was fabulous.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

I wish I could have eaten that meal.

Sounds delicious!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

Just political correctness run amok. Don't even try to make sense of it.

We are reaping what was sown by the social engineers and leftist pantywaists of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Enjoy your meal.

Offline GourmetDan

Maybe we could start 'celebrating' Black History Month by enjoying all of the benefits of white culture...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan