Author Topic: Sweden Renames Birds That Have Racist Sounding Names  (Read 355 times)

rangerrebew

Sweden Renames Birds That Have Racist Sounding Names
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:00:02 am »
Sweden Renames Birds That Have Racist Sounding Names

By Brian Carey, February 23, 2015.

Meanwhile, in important matters…

Sweden’s Ornithological Society has renamed several birds because the original names sounded racist.

As an example, any bird with the word “neger” (meaning black) in it had that word changed to “svart” (still black, but it doesn’t sound like that other word).

“We kept getting more and more questions from translators of Swedish TV programs and books wanting to know what exactly different bird names were or meant, so we decided to compile a list and while we were doing that we decided to change the names of any birds that could have stirred up a debate,” said Anders Wirdheim, information officer at Sweden’s Ornithological Society.

The bird that was previously named “Zigenarfågel” has been renamed to “hoatzin.” We aren’t sure if that’s because the “genar” sounds too much like that other word or if it’s because of the “fag” sequence in the name. However, the new name might be offensive to some who speak Ebonics since it begins with “ho.”

Still, the renaming effort appears to be an overall success. There are now fewer microagressions that will concern us.

Offline musiclady

Re: Sweden Renames Birds That Have Racist Sounding Names
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:01:38 pm »
Link?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »
Well isn't that just niggardly of them?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 03:44:17 pm »
Well that's a relief; those racist bird names have been at the top of my list of social problems for years.

"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates