Author Topic: David Brooks: Giuliani's Comments "Unacceptable," Incumbent Upon Republicans To Police The Party  (Read 870 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
David Brooks: Giuliani's Comments "Unacceptable," Incumbent Upon Republicans To Police The Party

JUDY WOODRUFF, PBS NEWSHOUR: At one of the Scott Walker events this week, former New York Mayor, David, Rudy Giuliani made a statement that has gotten a lot of attention. He basically — he talked about President Obama and said, “He wasn’t raised like we were,” talking to the group. He said, “He doesn’t love this country as we do.”

It’s gotten a lot of attention. Do we — how big a deal is it?

DAVID BROOKS: Well, it’s — you know, it’s unacceptable. You can’t say that. He doesn’t know that. It’s not true. It’s self-destructive.

There’s sort of, I don’t know, who to blame, I don’t know, somebody like that. There’s almost sort of a Mort Sahl, Richard Pryor ethos where the person who says the most shocking thing is the best person. And sometimes on the stump, that seems to happen in partisan rallies. And Giuliani said something that I’m sure, like, shocked the bourgeoisie, but it’s unacceptable. And I hope it doesn’t define the Republican race.

JUDY WOODRUFF: You see it stopping there?

MARK SHIELDS: Judy, I think this — has to be signaled, has to be stated, and has to be called out.

Rudy Giuliani’s language is unacceptable. This wasn’t given at some shadowy end-of-the-road, secret handshake to get into the room with sort of a paranoid fringe group. This was 60 people, major fund-raisers and donors, Republican, at the 21 Club, a bistro, a signature bistro in New York City.

And to this group of people, he basically said the president doesn’t like America. And this is — I go back to John McCain, who in 2008, when this was a hot issue, had the courage to confront a Republican audience in Lakeville, Minnesota, when they made this charge and said, no, that is untrue. President Obama is an American. He cares about this country. He loves this family, and I like him, but I disagree with him on the issues.

This is going to be an arms race about who hates Barack Obama and who can say he’s less of a patriot. Rudy Giuliani, who had six draft exemptions and got a judge to write a request to have him reclassified 2A so he didn’t have to serve in Vietnam, for him to start grading patriotism is unacceptable. And it’s going to take the Republican Party right down the road to defeat.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/02/21/david_brooks_giulianis_comments_unacceptable_incumbent_upon_republicans_to_police_the_party.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

I've long suspected that David Brooks has an Obama poster on the back of his bedroom door.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Carling

Giuliani spent years of his life helping NYC recover from the 9/11 attacks, and attended countless funerals.  The pissant president can't even bring himself to say "Islamic Terrorism." 

Of course Rudy is pissed.  He has every right to be.  The petulant child we have in the White House called GWB "unpatriotic" on the campaign trail, and gets away with it.

I hope Rudy keeps pushing the little baby in the WH with his verbal jabs.  Obummer has an ever-diminishing circle of trusted advisers, and he will absolutely crack if pressure is kept on him.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I've long suspected that David Brooks has an Obama poster on the back of his bedroom door.

I suspect he also has an Obama tat on the small of his back.

:whistle:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

I was thinking more stapled to the ceiling over his bed.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
One thing is for sure!  Rudy has gotten under their skins BIG TIME!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

One thing is for sure!  Rudy has gotten under their skins BIG TIME!

Exactly, and they're the ones that will cry "Uncle" before it's off the new cycle.

Rudy has not backed down.  The onus is on the media to point out any examples where Obama has acted in the USA or Israel's best interests.

"Bueller?   Bueller??

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Exactly, and they're the ones that will cry "Uncle" before it's off the new cycle.

Rudy has not backed down.  The onus is on the media to point out any examples where Obama has acted in the USA or Israel's best interests.

"Bueller?   Bueller??

Truth is to liberals is as light to Dracula!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I suspect he also has an Obama tat on the small of his back.

:whistle:
LOL :silly: