Author Topic: US Said to Plan Mosul Offensive With 20,000 Iraqi Troops  (Read 2402 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US Said to Plan Mosul Offensive With 20,000 Iraqi Troops
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:03:13 am »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=625807

Newsmax
Thursday, February 19, 2015 05:49 PM

By: David Lerman

The U.S. and Iraq are planning a spring offensive to retake the city of Mosul that will require 20,000 to 25,000 Iraqi troops to defeat 1,000 to 2,000 Islamic State (ISIS) fighters, according to an official from U.S. Central Command.

The main attack force of five Iraqi army brigades will need to be trained first by U.S. advisers, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity at a briefing Thursday to discuss military operations. The U.S. hasn’t ruled out delaying the offensive from a planned start in April or May if more time is required for training, most of which has yet to begin, the official said.

While the spring timing had been previously discussed, the official offered new details on the size of the force required to recapture Iraq’s second-largest city from Islamic State, which seized Mosul in June.

The battle for Mosul will mark the first major test for Iraqi forces since many fled as Islamic State extremists swept across northern Iraq last year to create their self-styled caliphate, or religious state. While some Iraqi officials pushed for an earlier offensive in Mosul, the U.S. has resisted such pleas, saying more time was needed for training.

Iraq has identified the units needed for a Mosul offensive, said the official from Central Command, which oversees U.S. military operations in the Middle East.

The force will include five Iraqi army brigades, three smaller brigades serving as a reserve force, three brigades from the Kurdish Peshmerga military, a local force of police and tribal fighters, and some counterterrorism forces, the official said.

House-to-house fighting may be required to oust Islamic State fighters from Mosul, reducing or negating the advantage that U.S. and allied airstrikes have provided in more open country.

Kurdish forces so far have been reluctant to operate in territory outside the region in northern Iraq that they aspire to include in an eventual independent state. While Shiite militias backed by Iran have shouldered some of the battle against the Sunni extremists of Islamic State, they may not be as welcome in Mosul, a major Sunni population center.

The U.S. is considering offering a range of backing for the offensive, such as air support, intelligence and logistics, the official said. The military also hasn’t ruled out deploying a small number of U.S. troops on the ground to find targets and call in airstrikes.

While President Barack Obama has pledged that U.S. forces won’t become embroiled in ground combat in Iraq, he asked Congress this month to approve an authorization for use of military force, or AUMF, that he said would permit ground missions. These include serving as spotters for strikes, using special operations forces to target Islamic State leaders, collecting intelligence and conducting rescue operations.

The U.S. and allies have established five sites in the region to train Iraqi forces. About 3,200 forces are now in training and almost 2,000 have been graduated, the official said.

The U.S. and allied forces have conducted about 2,500 airstrikes against Islamic State since August, roughly equally divided between Iraq and Syria, the official said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sarge

Re: US Said to Plan Mosul Offensive With 20,000 Iraqi Troops
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:28:57 am »
didn't we spend like six freaking years training them?

I spent 9 months in Habbaniya and two months in Rustamiya (2005-2006) training MPs and soldiers...
RIP Chopper 5-7-13 to 1-19-16
Hail 새 새끼  2-25-2020 - Present

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:35:33 am »
Consider the source..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:41:10 am »

Thursday, 19 Feb 2015 05:49 PM

The U.S. and Iraq are planning a spring offensive to retake the city of Mosul that will require 20,000 to 25,000 Iraqi troops to defeat 1,000 to 2,000 Islamic State (ISIS) fighters, according to an official from U.S. Central Command.

The main attack force of five Iraqi army brigades will need to be trained first by U.S. advisers, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity at a briefing Thursday to discuss military operations. The U.S. hasn’t ruled out delaying the offensive from a planned start in April or May if more time is required for training, most of which has yet to begin, the official said.

While the spring timing had been previously discussed, the official offered new details on the size of the force required to recapture Iraq’s second-largest city from Islamic State, which seized Mosul in June.

The battle for Mosul will mark the first major test for Iraqi forces since many fled as Islamic State extremists swept across northern Iraq last year to create their self-styled caliphate, or religious state. While some Iraqi officials pushed for an earlier offensive in Mosul, the U.S. has resisted such pleas, saying more time was needed for training.

Iraq has identified the units needed for a Mosul offensive, said the official from Central Command, which oversees U.S. military operations in the Middle East.

The force will include five Iraqi army brigades, three smaller brigades serving as a reserve force, three brigades from the Kurdish Peshmerga military, a local force of police and tribal fighters, and some counterterrorism forces, the official said.

House-to-house fighting may be required to oust Islamic State fighters from Mosul, reducing or negating the advantage that U.S. and allied airstrikes have provided in more open country.

Kurdish forces so far have been reluctant to operate in territory outside the region in northern Iraq that they aspire to include in an eventual independent state. While Shiite militias backed by Iran have shouldered some of the battle against the Sunni extremists of Islamic State, they may not be as welcome in Mosul, a major Sunni population center.

The U.S. is considering offering a range of backing for the offensive, such as air support, intelligence and logistics, the official said. The military also hasn’t ruled out deploying a small number of U.S. troops on the ground to find targets and call in airstrikes.

While President Barack Obama has pledged that U.S. forces won’t become embroiled in ground combat in Iraq, he asked Congress this month to approve an authorization for use of military force, or AUMF, that he said would permit ground missions. These include serving as spotters for strikes, using special operations forces to target Islamic State leaders, collecting intelligence and conducting rescue operations.

The U.S. and allies have established five sites in the region to train Iraqi forces. About 3,200 forces are now in training and almost 2,000 have been graduated, the official said.

The U.S. and allied forces have conducted about 2,500 airstrikes against Islamic State since August, roughly equally divided between Iraq and Syria, the official said.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.Newsmax.com/Draft-Stories/Mosul-Iraq-troops-offensive/2015/02/19/id/625807/#ixzz3SHSRcnPw
 Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:24:46 pm »
Are we also going to issue maps and directions to troop movements and schedule photo ops and post on Facebook and Twitter?

What the heck kind of reporting is this? A little self editing about our intentions and methods and timing would be nice.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:32:58 pm »
We have been training the worthless jerks for 10+ years, another month is going to make a difference....
We need to get out of there and let them work this out.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »
We have been training the worthless jerks for 10+ years, another month is going to make a difference....

These are just the ones who haven't turned on us and attacked  American soldiers.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:17 pm »
Are we also going to issue maps and directions to troop movements and schedule photo ops and post on Facebook and Twitter?

What the heck kind of reporting is this? A little self editing about our intentions and methods and timing would be nice.

Obama released this info....nothing like telling our enemies our battle plans...oh wait, I forgot..ISIS is not Obama's enemy..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 02:15:45 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=625852

Newsmax
Gen. McInerney: Sharing Mosul Plans 'Aiding and Abetting the Enemy'
Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:55 PM

By: Greg Richter

Retired Gen. Thomas McInerney said the United States is "aiding and abetting the enemy" by announcing it is training 20,000 Iraqi troops to retake the city of Mosul this spring.

"It's absolutely bewildering," McInerney said Thursday on Fox News Channel's "The Kelly File." "I do not understand why the president and the administration want to aid and abet the enemy."

Host Megyn Kelly asked if it could be a strategy to get the enemy to retreat from Mosul, Iraq's second largest city.

McInerney admitted that is a possibility, but added the Islamic State (ISIS) has not been acting like it would leave Mosul.

"They're going to stay probably, and it's still going to expose our forces to a certain risk because they're going to be doing a lot of defensive preparations," he said. "All those kind of things that are going to make our troops more vulnerable."

President Barack Obama has said repeatedly that America is not at war with Islam. He says calling ISIS Islamic or Muslim would play into their hands that they are fighting a holy war and they would use it in their recruitment efforts.

"That's why I disagree with him," McInerney said. "When he doesn't know the threat he's fighting, radical Islam, that's why he and his State Department spokesman talk about jobs and talk about all this soft-power type stuff."

McInerney said the troops he talks with are astonished that their commander in chief does not appear to know what the threat is.

"Look, when a mother convinces a 12-year-old son to be a shahid, a martyr, and blow himself up and kill 200 innocent women and children, getting him a job is not going to deter him from doing that. You have got to go and address the ideological problem."

That means going to Mecca, Medina, and the mosques to persuade Muslim leaders to change the ideology, he said.

"Say 'this is insane, this is wrong, we need to change,'" as Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and Jordan's King Abdullah have urged in their calls to reform Islam, McInerney said. "We need to be enlisting those people as well as the king of Saudi Arabia and get them involved."

An official from U.S. Central Command said Thursday that American military forces will train 20,000-25,000 Iraqi fighters to retake Mosul from 1,000-2,000 ISIS fighters as early as April or May.

The plans were previously known, Bloomberg News reports, but Thursday's briefing provided more detail, including the number of troops.

Though the strike force would be Iraqi, American air power would support the mission, and some U.S. forces might be used to call in airstrike targets. America also would supply logistics and intelligence.

McInerney was not the only person to criticize the public announcement. Fox News Channel analysts Andrew Napolitano and Charles Krauthammer said the United States is giving up the element of surprise, with Napolitano, a retired judge, saying it is "almost a violation of law by revealing national security secrets to the enemy."

Sen. Tom Cotton, an Arkansas Republican and veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, told Fox's Kelly that if a private in Iraq had revealed such planning even inadvertently, he might have faced a court-martial. Now, he said, it has become almost routine for the Obama administration to announce war plans in advance.

"It only increases risks," Cotton said, speculating that the announcement might have been made to counter criticism Obama has faced over his just-completed three-day counterterrorism summit.

Obama was criticized for not using the term "Islamic terrorists" and for inviting controversial Islamic figures to the summit.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 02:16:07 pm »
"It's absolutely bewildering," McInerney said Thursday on Fox News Channel's "The Kelly File." "I do not understand why the president and the administration want to aid and abet the enemy."

DUH!........
Support the USO

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
... Andrew Napolitano and Charles Krauthammer said the United States is giving up the element of surprise, with Napolitano, a retired judge, saying it is "almost a violation of law by revealing national security secrets to the enemy."

Almost Judge? ALMOST? REALLY? ALL of my life, including a stint serving my country in time of war, I have been told that giving aid and comfort to the enemy in time of war is T R E A S O N !!!.  What's changed Judge Napalitano?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:21:18 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
I'll say the word: impeachment.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:47:55 pm »
I used to think it was Obama's incompetence at play. Now I know it's something else.

It's his ideology.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:57:47 pm by aligncare »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 02:50:59 pm »
You know, I used to think it was Obama's incompetence. Now I think something else is going on here. It's his ideology.

Welcome aboard!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:43 pm »
You know, I used to think it was Obama's incompetence. Now I think something else is going on here. It's his ideology.

I've thought that for a long time now.  If it was incompetence - he would win once or twice just by accident, but there is a clear and consistent pattern of everything he does - helps ISIS.  He can't bring himself to hurt them.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 03:06:18 pm »

I spent 9 months in Habbaniya and two months in Rustamiya (2005-2006) training MPs and soldiers...

You were in Rustamiya?  My son was there on his second deployment.....later than you were there.  Nasty area!

One of his comments was that the only ones the Iraqi people trusted were the American troops.  They didn't even begin to trust their own.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:43 pm »
I used to think it was Obama's incompetence at play. Now I know it's something else.

It's his ideology.
yep, his actions alone the past few days proves that to me now.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 06:17:33 pm »
Yeah ... this has "success" written all over it ...  :whistle:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »

Can't blame them.  The bad guys know who is being trained by the U.S. and where they live.

They'll just come and cut off everybody's head off after we declare 'victory' and leave...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 12:06:50 am »
This is just like announcing that when we are going to France during WWII..

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:54 am »

Don't worry Sarge. CIC Obama will deploy hashtags.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 02:15:07 am »
Sumthin' tells me that once these Iraqi troops get turned loose against isis, that the isis boys are gonna make mincemeat out of them.

The ones that don't toss over their weapons to isis and "convert", that is...!

I realize this is a pessimistic prediction, but.... what's the track record been for Iraqi troops vs. isis, so far?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 02:50:56 am »
Sumthin' tells me that once these Iraqi troops get turned loose against isis, that the isis boys are gonna make mincemeat out of them.

I realize this is a pessimistic prediction, but.... what's the track record been for Iraqi troops vs. isis, so far?

What makes you think they are still going through with the operation after this snafu???

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 03:20:32 am »

What makes you think they won't just put on their ISIS uniforms once they've finished getting their training from the US?