Author Topic: City Blockheads Shut Down Cute Little Free Library Because Telling People What To Do Is Fun  (Read 551 times)

rangerrebew

little free library

City Blockheads Shut Down Cute Little Free Library Because Telling People What To Do Is Fun

By Robert Gehl, February 17, 2015.

A little free library in Louisiana has come up against pinhead city bureaucrats who insist the cute little structure has to go.

Watchdog.org is reporting that Ricky Edgarton set up his “Little Free Library” in his front yard to share some of the many books he has acquired over the years. He makes no money off of the little structure, but that doesn’t matter. The Shreveport resident was sent a cease and desist order, claiming his library was “commercial activity” and violates the city’s zoning laws.

“This notice is to request that you cease all activity related to this violation upon receipt of this notice,” it reads. “Failure to bring this violation into compliance will result in this matter being referred to the Office of the City Attorney for further action.”

“When it said to cease any activity, I could have just taken the books out and brought them inside, but instead, for effect, I put a padlock around it,” Edgarton said.

Other Shreveport residents have set up similar libraries in front of their homes, but MPC officials have singled out Edgarton.

“They said it was an anonymous caller who complained about it, and when somebody complains then the city is obligated to act on it,” Edgarton said, adding he and his wife were incredulous when they received the letter.

The city said they will review the ruling, but not because Edgarton is appealing: It would cost $500 to file an appeal with the city.”

“There is no city in Louisiana that has anything written on the books specifically addressing Little Free Libraries, so we’ve had to go outside the state to find ordinances in other locations, and that is what we’re studying and analyzing right now to serve as a model for Shreveport to consider,” city official Mark Sweeney said.

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/city-blockheads-shut-down-cute-little-free-library-because-telling-people-what-to-do-is-fun
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:30:31 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Maybe Fahrenheit 451 should be prominently displayed in the case?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Collectivism backed by bureaucracy is blind and stupid. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Collectivism backed by bureaucracy is blind and stupid.

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien