Author Topic: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'  (Read 15805 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2015, 03:35:24 pm »
Demagoguery yet once again.

Where not "coming".

We've been here since the day that three Spanish galleons discovered the "New World".

Our States have Spanish names: Florida (flowerful) , Nevada (Snowy), Colorado (reddish), Tejas (ceiling tiles), Arizona (Zona Arida - dry zone).

We are (and have been) an integral part of the culture since day one.

Since the Native American were here before you, then we should all learn to read and write Apache, Blackfoot, Crow, Cherokee etc?

Offline Relic

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »

Where not "coming".

We've been here since the day that three Spanish galleons discovered the "New World".

Our States have Spanish names: Florida (flowerful) , Nevada (Snowy), Colorado (reddish), Tejas (ceiling tiles), Arizona (Zona Arida - dry zone).

Thank you for the La Raza explaination. Nice deflection without addressing the reality that the numbers of Spanish people are growing, and the demands are unlike any other group, except muslims. Assimilation is the issue.

How is that bi cultural thing working in Canada? Has Quebec seceded yet? No conflicts there, right?
How's the multicultural thing going in the Balkans?

Who is demanding that Jeb speak Spanish?

No one.

Some however, are condemning the fact that he speaks another language.

Sad.

No, you don't demand it outright, you walk right up to it though.
Your rants are delicious. You have some issues.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2015, 03:39:56 pm »
Bigun, either read my responsaes or leave me alone.

Here's my direct quote:

Saying "adios" in a government form may assist LEGAL immigrants and naturalized citizens who have yet to achieve the level of English proficiency required to navigate through government forms, effectively navigate those forms.

And THAT has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked which was in response to your
What are you going to do, fine me when I say "Adios" to you?
I asked
Would your saying Adios to me be any sort of official government communication Luis?

You have yet to respond to that question!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:32 pm »
Since the Native American were here before you, then we should all learn to read and write Apache, Blackfoot, Crow, Cherokee etc?

:beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2015, 03:42:11 pm »
Thank you for the La Raza explaination. Nice deflection without addressing the reality that the numbers of Spanish people are growing, and the demands are unlike any other group, except muslims. Assimilation is the issue.

How is that bi cultural thing working in Canada? Has Quebec seceded yet? No conflicts there, right?

Don't assign non-existent behavior to me to then accuse me of something that only exists in your mind.

There is no "bi-cultural thing" working here.

There is historic, documented unreasonable and unfounded fear of immigrants here. There's is historical, documented animosity toward immigrants from the descendants of immigrants here.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »

As should you.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »

BTW.

"F" you on the La Raza thing asshat.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »
I am neither a Jeb supporter nor a detractor at this point. His comments as I read them are not troublesome to me in the least. He is simply observing that his connection to the language and culture likely broadens his appeal, at least to those voters within that demographic. Why wouldn't he make that observation?  He certainly is not claiming to abandon anything American.

Might we be trying too hard?  Let's let this play out.  (I'm trying to be winsome. Winsome is good.)

His comments are not troublesome to me either.

All he said was that his being bilingual 'won't hurt.'  He should be right about that.

Love or hate Jeb Bush politically, this particular comment isn't offensive.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2015, 03:52:47 pm »
BTW.

"F" you on the La Raza thing asshat.

Hey, I just call them the way I see them. Sorry if I hit a nerve, wait, no I'm not.
Your rants are becoming less defensible, and you are appearing to become a bit unhinged.
It's kind of fun to watch.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:38 pm »
 :facepalm2:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:45 pm »

All he said was that his being bilingual 'won't hurt.'  He should be right about that.

Just for the record, I have no problem with that comment either!

But the official language of the USA should be English and no official accommodation of any kind should be made for anyone who cannot read or write in English!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »
Personalmente, no tengo ningunos problemas que Senor Bush hable en espanol.  Deseo que todos los politicos hablen en espanol porque tendrian mas sentido que hacen ahora.

Yo tambien.  Bastante.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Relic

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2015, 03:59:27 pm »

But the official language of the USA should be English and no official accommodation of any kind should be made for anyone who cannot read or write in English!

:amen:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »

Where not "coming".

We are (and have been) an integral part of the culture since day one.

Yesterday, I ate a bagel for breakfast, sushi for lunch and a nice chicken cacciatiore for dinner. We've embraced, assimilated and celebrated many cultures. We will do the same for every culture.

Who is demanding that Jeb speak Spanish?

No one.

Some however, are condemning the fact that he speaks another language.

Sad.

I really like this post, Luis. But you failed to highlight an important feature of assimilation. And that is the respite that traditionally followed every other wave of immigration. "Waves" that were designed, through law, to apply the time necessary for assimilation to play out.

Illegal Mexican immigration, on the other hand, bypasses that necessary process of applying time to the assimilation equation. Their numbers are inundating us. Such was not the case with waves of other immigrants.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2015, 04:21:46 pm »
I really like this post, Luis. But you failed to highlight an important feature of assimilation. And that is the respite that traditionally followed every other wave of immigration. "Waves" that were designed, through law, to apply the time necessary for assimilation to play out.

Illegal Mexican immigration, on the other hand, bypasses that necessary process of applying time to the assimilation equation. Their numbers are inundating us. Such was not the case with waves of other immigrants.

There is nothing right or positive about illegal immigration.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2015, 04:22:39 pm »
Hey, I just call them the way I see them. Sorry if I hit a nerve, wait, no I'm not.
Your rants are becoming less defensible, and you are appearing to become a bit unhinged.
It's kind of fun to watch.

You didn't hit a nerve, you exposed your VDare roots.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:03 pm »

You're worrying me.

We're agreeing way too often these days.

:patriot:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »
There is nothing right or positive about illegal immigration.

In the southwest it's pretty hard to separate out legal and illegal immigration in practical terms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe illegal immigration far outstrips legal immigration. That's the problem we are dealing with. No one has a problem with legal immigration, although a discussion in that area might also be helpful.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:26:46 pm by aligncare »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 04:28:00 pm »
You're worrying me.

We're agreeing way too often these days.

:patriot:

I've noticed that, Luis!

Perhaps your IQ is sinking??  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Relic

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 04:31:00 pm »
You didn't hit a nerve, you exposed your VDare roots.

Uh huh. So, either you're a crude individual, who slings insults and reaches for the F word at a whim, or you're a liar.
 :silly:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2015, 04:32:51 pm »

I also agree with that.

My grandparents were all immigrants from Sweden.  The ones who came as adults spoke Swedish at home and worked very hard to learn English and assimilate.  My parents..... still proud of their Swedish heritage became fully American (and conservative, btw!), and my generation, again, still proud of being Swedish, are in the melting pot completely.

Except, of course, that I make the best Swedish meatballs on this side of the Atlantic!  :dx1:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
And THAT has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked which was in response to your  I asked .

You have yet to respond to that question!

This is your position, copied from your own post:

"... no official accommodation of any kind should be made for anyone who cannot read or write in English!

Assuming that you both read and write English (to a questionable degree), why would any official document address you in any language other than English, oh Yodda of the Inane Comment?

Having said that, official documents that legal immigrants are required to interact with during INS processing and beyond that, as well as during the naturalization process leading up to the citizenship test, assist those recent LEGAL immigrants navigate the paperwork necessary to become citizens, so to NOT have them available serves no useful purpose.

You certainly have stated no useful purpose for NOT having them.

So, unless your argument is that English proficiency pre-dating migration should be a requirement to be legally admitted into the country (good luck with that), your idea that "no official accommodation of any kind should be made for anyone who cannot read or write in English" is just petty and small-minded and lacks any useful purpose.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2015, 04:37:13 pm »
And you STILL have not simply answered the question I asked?

One has to wonder why!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »
Uh huh. So, either you're a crude individual, who slings insults and reaches for the F word at a whim, or you're a liar.
 :silly:

From one of my first posts on this thread:

I have had people walk up to me in the street and tell me "you're in America now, speak English", to which I have replied in a very vulgar manner, in perfect English and leaving very little to be deciphered.

They were INSULTED that I was speaking a different language while sharing the same zip code with them.

You did not consult me on what level of insult was acceptable to me before you posted your a-hole "La Raza" thing.

I exercised an equal amount of freedom when I posted my response to you.

The remedy to hate speech in more speech.

I love this country.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2015, 04:38:18 pm »
And you STILL have not simply answered the question I asked?

One has to wonder why!

Go away Bigun.