Author Topic: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'  (Read 15804 times)

Offline Carling

Re: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 12:57:44 am »
Ted Cruz and Rand Paul both speak Spanish.  Paul more fluently than Cruz, but they both can have conversations in spanish.  Does that make them less American?  Or does it make them more attractive as a candidate to a larger demographic of voters?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:58:48 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 01:06:39 am »
What language you speak means nothing. What culture you represent means nothing. At the core of it is do you support American culture and American values? Clearly, Obama does not. And Jeb, after giving a speech about how superior illegal immigrants are to American citizens has demonstrated to me that he represents the Latinos more than he does American citizens.

I would vote for Jindal in a second. It is not about language, or skin color, or heritage, it is about whether or not you value America and Americans over non-Americans.

It is so simple a concept, I can't believe I even have to say it. I don't want my quarterback supporting a different team, and I do not care which team that may be.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:07:30 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Carling

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 01:10:28 am »
What language you speak means nothing. What culture you represent means nothing. At the core of it is do you support American culture and American values? Clearly, Obama does not. And Jeb, after giving a speech about how superior illegal immigrants are to American citizens has demonstrated to me that he represents the Latinos more than he does American citizens.

I would vote for Jindal in a second. It is not about language, or skin color, or heritage, it is about whether or not you value America and Americans over non-Americans.

It is so simple a concept, I can't believe I even have to say it. I don't want my quarterback playing for a different team, and I do not care which team that may be.

That's a fair point, and definitely raised red flags for me.  Jeb Bush is about the last person I'd vote for in the Oregon primary at this point.  I just find bashing the guy because he is bi-lingual, and I suppose bi-cultural, to be petty and based in dislike of him for his stance on other issues.  One of which you point out very well.  The criticism in this thread comes across as mocking the guy because he married a Hispanic woman, and that line of criticism is not going to be a popular way to attract votes.  It actually could give Jeb some sympathy from voters, which is astounding considering his last name and the legacy associated with it.

Offline Relic

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 01:21:36 am »

It is so simple a concept, I can't believe I even have to say it. I don't want my quarterback supporting a different team, and I do not care which team that may be.

The fact that you and I have to hammer on that, on a right leaning forum, speaks volumes.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 02:51:12 am »
A Latino saying they would love a Latino President is fine. A Black saying they want a Black President is fine. But, when a White American says they want an American President, with no mention of race btw, your freakin' head explodes.

Except that's not what happened here.

Here, a white American soon-to-be Presidential candidate (can't get whiter or more American than Jeb Bush) said that he could benefit politically from a cultural connection to Hispanics and as a result of his saying that, suddenly people were arguing that they wanted an American President.

How did Jeb Bush become not an American by saying that he could connect to Hispanics?

So, yes... my head explodes when you all can't see the obvious bias and the blatant flaw in the thinking that says "if you connect with Hispanics in any way, you don't represent white Americans".

And THAT is what happened here.

According to what I'm reading here, if a Presidential candidate believes that something about him gives him common ground with Hispanics, then he's not representing whites and/or Americans.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:35 am »
I am neither a Jeb supporter nor a detractor at this point. His comments as I read them are not troublesome to me in the least. He is simply observing that his connection to the language and culture likely broadens his appeal, at least to those voters within that demographic. Why wouldn't he make that observation?  He certainly is not claiming to abandon anything American.

Might we be trying too hard?  Let's let this play out.  (I'm trying to be winsome. Winsome is good.)
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 03:18:51 am »

Jeb Bush said that immigrants are "more fertile" than the native population because they're generally younger and as a result they are creating "an engine of economic prosperity". He said that we need that "demographic pyramid" to generate the funds needed to pay for our aging population's needs (Social Security). If you're extrapolating that he thinks they are "superior" (a word he never used, but one you're fabricating out of whole cloth in order to bash him with) from that, it has a lot more to do with how you feel about Jeb's bi-culturality than anything else.

From Politifact:

The aging of America draws a lot of attention as the country tries to control the rising cost of health care and sustain critical programs such as Social Security. Jeb Bush, former Republican governor of Florida and potential 2016 presidential candidate, has a partial solution -- promote immigration.

Bush, speaking at the Faith and Freedom Coalition Conference in Washington, made a pitch for immigration reform, saying America needs more new workers to help pay for retirees -- "to rebuild the demographic pyramid" as he put it.

"Immigrants are more fertile," Bush said. "And they love families and they have more intact families, and they bring a younger population. Immigrants create an engine of economic prosperity."

Bush’s reference to the fertility of immigrants stirred up an immediate flurry of activity on Twitter and the comment sections of news websites. Some said his words were callous, some said he was simply speaking the truth.

We decided to take an evidence-based look into the fertility of immigrants. The key here is understanding the meaning of the word "fertile." Fertility can mean the ability to have children, but it can also refer to the birth rate of a population. In context, Bush's comments clearly referred to the second definition. We contacted Bush’s office; his spokesperson, Jaryn Emhoff, told us Bush was referring to birth rate.

On that front, there is no debate about the numbers. The Pew Research Center reported in 2012 that the birth rate among foreign-born women was nearly 50 percent higher than for U.S.-born women -- 87.8 births per 1,000 women compared with 58.9 births per 1,000 women of prime child bearing age (15-44).

A major reason why immigrant birth rates are higher has to do with the age of new arrivals; as a group, they skew young, which means more of them are likely to be ready to start families. If you looked at a group of foreign-born women and the same number of U.S.-born women, all between 15 and 44 years old, you would find more women closer to 20 years old among the immigrants.

To come on to a forum, populated by thinking and well-informed individuals claiming that a Presidential hopeful stood up somewhere and "gave a speech about how superior illegal immigrants are to American citizens" like you did is absurd, and demagoguery worthy of Al Sharpton.

Here's another truth... from Report on Government Spending, 2002 by The Population Reference Bureau:

Many attempts have been made to estimate the fiscal impact of immigration, which not only generates demand for public education, health care, and other services, but also expands the tax base and slows the aging of the population. Some economists rely on cross-sectional estimates, using current data on immigrant households to compare benefits received from the government at all levels and taxes paid this year. But to investigate the long-term fiscal impact, analysis must take into account the expected payments over the life of an immigrant, and even the lifetimes of the immigrant’s children and grandchildren.

According to a study panel under the auspices of the National Academy of Sciences, the long-term impact of a newly arrived immigrant turns out to depend greatly on the immigrant’s age at arrival. An average 20-year-old has many years in which to work and pay taxes before reaching the age when individuals typically receive more from the government than they pay in taxes. A 50-year old, by contrast, is expected to work for only a few more years before becoming a net consumer of government services. The long-term impact also varies significantly with the immigrant’s education: Those with more education are likely to pay higher taxes during their working years, and the benefits they receive from government are not proportionately higher.

In a recent update of estimates prepared for the panel, Ronald Lee and Timothy Miller found that each additional immigrant with characteristics (such as age, education, and family size) typical of recent immigrants has a “net present value” of $46,000. That is, a new immigrant’s impact over the next 75 years is expected to be equivalent to a one-time investment of $46,000. But Lee and Miller estimate that the country would need to admit an additional 5 million immigrants per year, quintupling the current level of immigration, in order to achieve long-term balance in the Social Security trust fund. A recent report from the United Nations Population Division reached a similar conclusion for European countries, announcing that even much larger migration flows than are currently permitted would not counterbalance the effects of population aging.

To maintain the 2000 ratio between the working-age population (people between the ages of 20 and 64) and the older population (people ages 65 and older), the United States would need roughly 95 million more
working-age persons in 2025, in addition to those already expected at current levels of immigration. In other words, if the entire working-age population of Mexico were to move to the United States in 2025, there still would not be enough people to restore the old-age dependency ratio of 2000.

The worker-to-retiree ratio is dangerously unbalanced, and the bulk of the Baby Boomers have yet to retire. Our fertility rates as a nation are in the tank , and they're not getting any better.

A growing percentage of the population prefers sucking on the government teat over working.

What Jeb said about immigrants, from any nation, is generally true, but that doesn't make them "superior" to Americans, nor did Jeb say that.

You may very well not agree with what he said, or believe the facts that back up what he says, but do you have to lie about what he said?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:20:41 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 03:43:08 am »
That's a fair point, and definitely raised red flags for me.  Jeb Bush is about the last person I'd vote for in the Oregon primary at this point.  I just find bashing the guy because he is bi-lingual, and I suppose bi-cultural, to be petty and based in dislike of him for his stance on other issues.  One of which you point out very well.  The criticism in this thread comes across as mocking the guy because he married a Hispanic woman, and that line of criticism is not going to be a popular way to attract votes.  It actually could give Jeb some sympathy from voters, which is astounding considering his last name and the legacy associated with it.

So, you really believe that Jeb Bush, the scion of one of the nation's greatest political dynasties, with one Hell of a political machine guiding his every move and word, on the eve of announcing a run for the Presidency that few believe he can actually win, stood up ANYWHERE and said that illegal immigrants are superior to Americans?

People are engaging in demagoguery. He never said that.

He said that immigrants are more fertile than Americans, which happens to be true.

He said that higher fertility rates promote economic growth, which happen to be true.

He said that we need to pump up the fertility rate in the nation in order to shore up the social programs that will take care of our aging population, which happens to be true.

Some however, knee-jerked to a politician saying anything positive about immigrants (note, he never referred to illegal immigrants, but apparently the only immigrants are illegal immigrants to some) and off they went.

However, if one wants to argue that recognizing a higher fertility rate from immigrants over Americans translates into claiming that immigrants are "superior" to Americans, then you'll also have to accept that rabbits and feral cats are superior to Americans, and for the same reasons.

pfft...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:43:36 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:39 am »
I'm with Luis here. Some are straining the cords of credulity in their desire to dislike Jeb based on these remarks.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 03:53:29 am »
I'm with Luis here. Some are straining the cords of credulity in their desire to dislike Jeb based on these remarks.

:beer:

Offline Carling

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 05:53:34 am »
So, you really believe that Jeb Bush, the scion of one of the nation's greatest political dynasties, with one Hell of a political machine guiding his every move and word, on the eve of announcing a run for the Presidency that few believe he can actually win, stood up ANYWHERE and said that illegal immigrants are superior to Americans?

People are engaging in demagoguery. He never said that.

He said that immigrants are more fertile than Americans, which happens to be true.

He said that higher fertility rates promote economic growth, which happen to be true.

He said that we need to pump up the fertility rate in the nation in order to shore up the social programs that will take care of our aging population, which happens to be true.

Some however, knee-jerked to a politician saying anything positive about immigrants (note, he never referred to illegal immigrants, but apparently the only immigrants are illegal immigrants to some) and off they went.

However, if one wants to argue that recognizing a higher fertility rate from immigrants over Americans translates into claiming that immigrants are "superior" to Americans, then you'll also have to accept that rabbits and feral cats are superior to Americans, and for the same reasons.

pfft...

No, I don't believe that at all.  I'm just against political dynasties, and I was trying to be non-confrontational with 240.  My larger point still stands, and I think you would agree with it.  At times, it appears like you're looking to be aggrieved, even with posters like me who agree with you the overwhelming majority of the time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:53:59 am by Carling »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 12:58:09 pm »

We live in America.  We speak English.  As a Florida resident, I did not like being addressed over the airwaves in Spanish by Jeb.  This country is made up of people from all different cultures; however I believe that those that want to be American citizens must do so the right way and assimilate to the American culture not the other way around.  It is not a new concept, but it seems it is a concept that has been blatantly ignored. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 01:23:01 pm »
We live in America.  We speak English.  As a Florida resident, I did not like being addressed over the airwaves in Spanish by Jeb.  This country is made up of people from all different cultures; however I believe that those that want to be American citizens must do so the right way and assimilate to the American culture not the other way around.  It is not a new concept, but it seems it is a concept that has been blatantly ignored.

We live in America. We speak whatever language we want to speak because we're free to do so.

When Jeb speaks in Spanish, he's not addressing you. He's addressing someone else.

There's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't change the fact that while 20% of the people of the nation now speak Spanish (normally in addition to English) the overwhelming majority of the population speaks English. He's a politician trying to establish as much common ground with everyone as possible.

That's what he's supposed to do.

My uncles came to the US as middle aged adults. They were working class people in Cuba.

They've worked construction and maintenance since arriving here and speak very basic, broken English at best.

They paid taxes, saved, and obeyed the nation's laws.

They became citizens as soon as they were able to do so.

They're nearly identical to the elderly relatives of the Italian artisan and peasant immigrants of the early 20th century, and like them. they retained their cultural identity and never learned the language to the degree that it became their primary language.

They love and enthusiastically supported El Presidente, George Bush, because he spoke to them, in their native tongue, and made them feel included.

It is politically stupid... STUPID to be critical of a GOP politician for trying to make a subset of the voting public that overwhelmingly votes for Democrats feel welcomed into the party over the fact that he speaks a few words, or gives a speech in a language other than English.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 01:24:16 pm »
No, I don't believe that at all.  I'm just against political dynasties, and I was trying to be non-confrontational with 240.  My larger point still stands, and I think you would agree with it.  At times, it appears like you're looking to be aggrieved, even with posters like me who agree with you the overwhelming majority of the time.

You're right. I'm sensitive on this subject.

I've lived through too many discussions and prejudices that are inexplicable to me.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 01:28:53 pm »
As conservatives
  :silly:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 01:39:39 pm »

Carling, if you want to see why I am sensitive, just look at that sentence.

Hispanics are "a different team" than Americans?

If that is the "conservative" mindset, why the Hell should Hispanics support any conservative?

BTW 240B... at the last Super Bowl I saw Tom Brady cheering like crazy for his defense. Same team, different group of people.

Immigrants are not a "different team" than the rest of Americans, they're a subset of the same team just like the Patriot's offense.

BTW... Hispanic immigrants played massive defense when Al Gore tried stealing the election in 2000. I was out there with lots of other immigrants of Spanish descent, playing defense for "El Presidente".   

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »

If that is the "conservative" mindset, why the Hell should Hispanics support any conservative?

BTW 240B... at the last Super Bowl I saw Tom Brady cheering like crazy for his defense. Same team, different group of people.

Immigrants are not a "different team" than the rest of Americans, they're a subset of the same team just like the Patriot's offense.

BTW... Hispanic immigrants played massive defense when Al Gore tried stealing the election in 2000. I was out there with lots of other immigrants of Spanish descent, playing defense for "El Presidente".

If you are "American" then why are you identifying as Hispanic?
The non-white males are the ones making the issue.
Why do you expect the AMERICAN President to speak Spanish/Arabic/et al?
Do you also claim there is a war on women? 

We are either Americans with an American president or we are dozens of self interested groups stabbing each other in the back to get favorable treatment over the others.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 01:51:23 pm »

Obviously there is a huge difference between those Hispanics that have entered our country legally and have assimilated to our culture than those that have entered our country legally and expect the rest of the country to assimilate to them.  That is the problem.  The other problem is those that have entered our country illegally and expect the rest of the country to cater to them in the name of political correctness.  Either you are for "team America" or your not.  For those Latino-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Italian-Americans, German-Americans, etc., etc.  therein lies the problem we are all Americans and there is no room for a hyphenated-American.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American ... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag ... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 01:55:45 pm »
We live in America. We speak whatever language we want to speak because we're free to do so.

When Jeb speaks in Spanish, he's not addressing you. He's addressing someone else.

There's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't change the fact that while 20% of the people of the nation now speak Spanish (normally in addition to English) the overwhelming majority of the population speaks English. He's a politician trying to establish as much common ground with everyone as possible.

That's what he's supposed to do.

wrong!  The president is president of all 350+- million of us, 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year and when he/she speaks, he/she speaks to all of us all the time.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 02:05:35 pm »
Obviously there is a huge difference between those Hispanics that have entered our country legally and have assimilated to our culture than those that have entered our country legally and expect the rest of the country to assimilate to them.  That is the problem.  The other problem is those that have entered our country illegally and expect the rest of the country to cater to them in the name of political correctness.  Either you are for "team America" or your not.  For those Latino-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Italian-Americans, German-Americans, etc., etc.  therein lies the problem we are all Americans and there is no room for a hyphenated-American.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American ... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag ... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

It is not surprising that Teddy Roosevelt would see limitations on personal liberty and adherence to group-think and collectivism as a condition of being an American. He was after all, the father of modern liberalism and America's foremost National Socialist

I'm not the one calling someone not an American based on speaking a different language or more than one language.

I speak two languages (almost three) but that doesn't redefine my allegiance to this country.

It is sadly pathetic that you see speaking multiple languages as an affront to Americanism.

It's like one is required to be less accomplished in order to be called an American.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 02:07:48 pm »
wrong!  The president is president of all 350+- million of us, 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year and when he/she speaks, he/she speaks to all of us all the time.

Yes... to all of us.

As a whole, or as individuals or subsets, he speaks to all of us.

P.S. Obama has yet to speak to me in any way, at any time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:08:33 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »
“There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americans... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of it continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities.”

Theodore Roosevelt October 12, 1915

Thus proving that a stopped clock is right twice a day!  Teddy has been proven exactly right on this!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:41 pm »
And the official language of the USA should be ENGLISH!!!

Ballots, street signs and every other public document should be written in English and nothing else!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 02:18:19 pm »
And the official language of the USA should be ENGLISH!!!

Ballots, street signs and every other public document should be written in English and nothing else!

Are you truly that insecure about the strength of our culture?

What are you going to do, fine me when I say "Adios" to you?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:18:54 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:35 pm »
“There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americans... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of it continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities.”

Theodore Roosevelt October 12, 1915

Thus proving that a stopped clock is right twice a day!  Teddy has been proven exactly right on this!

It's not surprising that some conservatives would equate suppression of rights and adherence to collectivist ideas as a good thing.

BTW... I'm not the one hyphenating myself, you guys are.